Update from the Chairman

I don’t know pension rules, but is there any reason why Bonser could not draw down some of that pension money and simply donate it to the club? I’m not saying he has, but could he?

Which he might have done already. The thing is, is that nobody knows. Except Cully.

3 Likes

I guess years of being told that we are such a well run club has just been bullshine!

I would of expected there to be enough reserve to see Us through the next 6 months comfortably. But I guess the old black hole theory rears its head again.

I’m certainly not one obsessed with Bonser. Indeed, you may even have found me supporting some of his financial management in the past. But in this current situation, with Pomlett asking the supporters to financially assist the club, it is entirely appropriate and necessary that the club should disclose to what extent we’re being helped by the landlord via rent holiday or similar. To those saying he can’t disclose it, then surely this information will become public knowledge in due course when the accounts for the current year are released?

2 Likes

I agree with much of that Longdogs.

For me, and I can only speak for me, Leigh has done and said enough to keep the cash he’s had and will keep getting via ifollow. If we had another 3,000 - 4,000 who did the same we might be OK. But everybody has different circumstances and mindsets so it is right that refunds are available and everybody has a choice.

So I appreciate there won’t be another 3,000 therefore I know that there is a significant gap. I haven’t the foggiest how big that gap is or what the component parts of that gap are and what some huge “stakeholders” are doing to help close it.

And to be specific, if we have a rent holiday - which is perfectly legal btw - that covers whatever time the ground is unable to receive customers to finance the property’s primary function then I’m in for more.

2 Likes

Only in the shape of loans r for ground improvements mate, of which he has done many times previously, Ie the digital advertising screens This was paid for by him drawing down on his pension fund. And investing in club, albeit it had to be paid back to same said fund, Which ultimately benefited from such withdrawals.

He can not despite what others are implying just stop or. Drastically reduce the rent , by law. it’s. Got to be rented a fair market value , he can give a rent holiday. For a short period. Prob be a max of six months. In line with other landlords of commercial properties, Due to exceptional circumstances but as said it’s only a short term fix, And this. Would then have to be caught up again once. Short term agreement expires

I agree with many on here despite being his fiercest critic, and the obscene. Payment he received for something he should have never owned and the bonser issue needs putting on back burner

It is at this present time. Immaterial, Freehold issue needs putting aside. Whilst club fends of the biggest crisis it’s faced in its history, And if my monthly. Donation ultimately goes to paying the rent. So be it, That battle can recommence at a later date. Because if club ever went under , the freehold issue. Dies with it, And is anyone of a sane mind prepared to see club go bust, rather than help pay rent, I certainly won’t. And neither will the majority of fan base when push comes to shove

2 Likes

Let’s be really clear here, if said Stakeholders had done something substantial; then Pomlett would not be expressing the dire situation the club is in.

For the sake of argument if no ST holder accepts a refund; our club then say has £450k hole in its finances (1500 tickets x £15 x 20 games) then there are various ways of filling it:

• Rent free season
• Directors or other loan
• Directors pay cut
• Players pay cut/release
• Gov’t/PLge intervention
• Further fan support
• Etc…

For fans to fill that hole, we’d need 2,000 of them to throw £225 each at the club just to fill it.

As others have stated, before I start “doing my bit” I’d like detail on the size of the problem, details of measures taken to date & the clubs recovery plans. I’ll give Pomlett time to do this & when he does & assuming it’s transparent then I will take a call on what “my bit” is!

Until this happens, I will continue to point out that if the rent was waived for this year, (even in lieu of a rent increase in future years), by uncle Jeff. Then the club’s short term future would not be in doubt.

4 Likes

A 4/6 month rent holiday along with IFollow and season ticket sales, would easily bridge any gap.

Rent is key, unfortunately there is no putting that behind us it’s a real issue!

3 Likes

Spot on Mazza!

This is not about the past or bonser, this is about the fact that our biggest single cost/outgoing is the rent we pay.

Reducing this significantly, should be our number 1 objective whether the Salvation Army own the ground or Jeff Bezos or Jeff Bonser.

1 Like

Exactly Bonser has gone, but you still can’t get away from the Elephant in the room it needs transparency.

Now if Bonser has given a rent break and we are still short on funds I’ll happily dig deep.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the entire conferencing and events side of the business, which has been stationary since at least the start of March.

1 Like

UTS in December 2120 will I’m sure be discussing this as well as whether we should really be still paying rent to Bonser’s Ghost, Brexit, Covid etc. Looking forward to your posts :grin:

1 Like

And don’t forget the Sunday Market was not held for about 4 months and LP told us before the revenue from the advertising boards was well down. Luckily for us that should now be picking up unless the latest moves from the government have had a significant affect on confidence. Advertising is a good indicator of economic confidence.

Would the market still not have some form of rental obligation, just like the football team?

I think that the vast majority on UTS will support the club financially,so that there will still be a football club left for the tiny minority who are prepared to “fiddle while Rome burns” or “cut their noses off to spite their faces”.It’s a personal choice,I for my part will do a monthly DD,it won’t have a massive effect but it might just keep the club ticking over until fans are allowed to return to the stadium.

4 Likes

All market fees are paid well in advance. , or they used to be, at the time I put question to bonser
It was not a pay as you trade. Agreement. He had all the stall holders stitched up also. ,So even tho run by a promotions compamny. He ensured he got his money upfront, was very astute. In the way anything in relation to bescot was done, He certainly left no room for wiggle room. In anything that earned him money

1 Like

Ching ching!

Let’s hope that if another long period of lockdown happened. ( God forbid it does )
That market stall holders. Didn’t seek refunds also.

Totally agree sid. whatever anyone’s opinion on bonser or the freehold issue, even tho it’s a major. One. it has to go on back burner, and become a battle for another day, Right now survival is the only goal we should be looking at. and as I’ve said before if my monthly donation helps pay rent then begrudgingly so be it.

When you think about it,whether you go into a pub,restaurant,the corner shop,bookies,pay subs at a sports club,or pay to watch Walsall fc they all use the money you spend in their establishments to pay the rent and rates etc.You wouldn’t have a local shop,Walsall fc or any of the other listed places if they didn’t pay their rent.

1 Like