UTS Prediction League 2: 2019-2020

Well, it’s come to that time of year again! Just as we finish celebrating the England World Cup win and hope they remember how to play with a different coloured ball, as the golfing majors come to a close without ‘Rors’ winning one of them, and we get tired of yawning at how unspectacular an F1 season continues to be, the UTS Prediction League rears its head once more, signalling the start of the football season again!

Something different is happening this season though…we are predicting League 2 :cry:

For those not aware or new to the whole thing, the prediction league is a simple competition between dedicated, competitive predictors, as well as a few annoying pedants and copycats, to expertly calculate the scores of games between teams in our division. Here is the jist of it:

1. Pick any 3 games from a game week (can be weekend or mid week - minimum of 6 games being played) and predict their scorelines.
  2. The scores can be any combination of home wins, away wins or draws - it’s up to you.
  3. An exact scoreline gets you 2 points and a correct result (i.e. you got the home win but not the same scoreline) gets you 1 point.
    4.Weekly scores are transferred onto a weekly updated running table to see who is eventually crowned the prediction champion over the whole season.
  4. Predictions must be posted before the kick off time of the matches. If people are away or have internet issues then they can PM me their predictions leading up to the games and I will post for them.

Take a look back in the archives for the final standings and winner of last season (the name escapes me for the moment…) and to see how close things were between people.

Anyone can join in and have a bit of fun with it, you don’t need to be a Prediction League ‘veteran’ or anything! The first week’s games are up and running now, ahead of next Saturday.

Best of luck everyone. Play well, but more importantly, play fair!!:laughing:

6 Likes

For the benefit of new players, could you give an example of someone not playing fair?:thinking:

2 Likes

It’s back.

I’m back.

I’ll BE back. :sunglasses: :1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal:

1 Like

Thanks, JJ, for running this again. It’s mostly great, with only the odd spoilsport ruining things. Again and again. :wink::wink:

3 Likes

Bit harsh on @chunkster, but I know what you mean. Hope he pulls his head in a bit and starts acting in a more mature and dignified manner. :blush:

2 Likes

Here is the first table for the new prediction league season.
Lots of new predictors, which was great to see, and they all fared pretty well!
We had 43 people take part on the first week so the table is a bit small to read to fit it all in but over the course of the season there will be some people drop out and collateral from certain predictors ‘gunfire’ so it will reduce in number and then be easier to read.

The winning score was 4 points, achieved by Gavin77, reedswoodsadler and WalsallSwift. Well done to all of you! Now the task is to keep it up over 46 weeks!!

Week 2 thread is already up and running for next Saturday so get your predictions in before the kick off times.

6 Likes

Crap prediction - but ABOVE Saigon Saddler!

That will do for now.

:rofl:

1 Like

Most people are … :wink:

(and long may it continue)

Actually - congratulations to Matt for finally working out that by changing his name he might just get above me in the table). Pity he hasn’t quite learned that N comes before T.

:grinning::laughing:

2 Likes

Cheers for doing this JJ. It’s a great bit of fun. Hope to do better this year. Still can’t bring myself to predict our games though. Wouldn’t want to tempt fate :smile:

1 Like

It’s also difficult to stay objective with Walsall, especially this early in the season when you’ve got little else to go on other than your hopes. I probably will do their matches later on, but it’s why I avoided them in the season’s predictions.

JJ - a request: could you add another column to your spreadsheet to show the number of rounds won by each of us? I’d like to get more depressed as the season goes on…

1 Like

It will always be 0 in your case, Exile. Why bother?

1 Like

Print is a bit small and I haven’t got my glasses on, but I’m sure that table says that @matt_saddlesore has only got 1 point. That can’t be right surely!!?? The great one wouldn’t be below us mere mortals, would he!?? :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes. Just ONE POINT. And he probably copied that result from somebody too.

Perhaps he should change his avatar to Mickey Mouse…

1 Like

Wot’s goowin on? :thinking::hamster:

He obviously didn’t have his on either :joy:

1 Like

Probably copied someone else’s prescription.

2 Likes

I have always kept a separate table running for weekly wins and then put it on here at the end of the season while updating people on who is leading it as we go along but I can certainly add the column on the end of the normal table instead of that is more useful.
I will start doing that from this weekend :+1:

2 Likes

Happy with16th.