W 1-0 vs Brighton & Hove Albion U21's (H) - Papa John's Trophy Group L - Tue 14th Sept - 7pm

I’d assume because the prize money is greater than any loss incurred due to low crowds

I’ve enjoyed all of the games I’ve seen in this competition the last few years, including the ones against the under 21 teams. I’d rather they ditched them and went back to how it was, but the matches I’ve seen have been entertaining.

2 Likes

Ahh I understand. Yeah good point chaps.

1 Like

People still boycott Bradford got 1,400 the other day that’s 14,000 less than normal and loads of club’s got sub 1,000 it’s just that the football league and fa whoever’s decision it was to put in u23 team’s don’t care . Plus they’ve been extremely lucky with the teams in the final since the format had been in place. I personally don’t care about it I’d be 50/50 if we got to the final whether to go or not I really hope Salford Vs Brighton u23 was the final though because it would then definitely be scrapped there would be 5,000 there max

1 Like

I still want us to win, but yeah if we got to the final would i be that arsed. Not sure about that either.

Weird situation really.

I think if an U21 side got to Wembley, you’d find a lot of their first team supporters went to watch. So the attendance would be alright, enough for it to suit those in charge.

2 Likes

FTFY :slight_smile:

1 Like

If i got plastered enough…and tickets were 5 quid

1 Like

Odds on.

1 Like

Possibly depends on who the u23 was if it was . I’m happy when we got to the final it was Bristol city we played because I knew they’d have a decent following same as at the millennium it could have been Walsall Vs Wigan in that thank god that never happened

I expect if it was a big team there would be quite a few there, and if it was Chelsea, Spurts, Arse, Liverpool etc, the sponsors would probably cream themselves.

When we played Chelsea the other year it was a superb game , Plenty of emerging players Billy Gilmore , Lampety who went to Brighton among several others .

Really don’t understand why people are so against it , makes no sense to me , it’s game of football .

2 Likes

Don’t attend these as I don’t want to watch the senior team I’m very proud to support reduced to playing an U21 side. That said, I’ve watched plenty of Walsall/Birmingham Senior Cup games where we’ve fielded youth sides against full strength non-league teams.

All fine and dandy as long as B/youth teams are never admitted into the pyramid system, which is the inevitable next step. Noticed this has already happened in the Lowland League…

4 Likes

Yeah but come on that’s properly crap in comparison to our structure. Our structure is far more solid and competitive which makes it harder for B teams to be feasible in league competition.

I can understand people’s objections to it but it’s a chance to get a look at our other players. People need to remember that back in Jan 2020 it was this tournament that gave us all our first real chance to see Sam Perry and what a potential talent he was. Unfortunately Daryll never acted upon his MoM debut and he wasn’t seen again until Deputy Duff took over!!!

I will go as I just love seeing us play.

Back off !!!

It will be car park time for you with the blue pump legion

3 Likes

It’s about the power and the money at the top of Scottish football, and how rich clubs can manipulate the system to suit themselves, with the support of governing bodies.

Exactly the same applies in England.

1 Like

That was an impressive performance from Perry, the Pompey game wan’t it. I was sure he would soon be playing in the League but he wasn’t good enough for Darrell. :roll_eyes:

Man of the match against a very strong Pompey team

He obviously didn’t tick any of Daryll’s badges!!!