W 1-0 vs Brighton & Hove Albion U21's (H) - Papa John's Trophy Group L - Tue 14th Sept - 7pm

Bloody hell it’s getting longer than the covid thread :laughing:

There’s more sense spoken on this one

4 Likes

Thinking of going but think turning it back to straight knock out.
I know people think I talk crap but yes possibly put none league clubs in and turn quarter final into home and away games.
At least its a sport not like formula 1.

I don’t see why them bringing Non-League Clubs in would hurt. National League and NLN and NLS. Wonder if the fact some of them play on 3G prevents this happening?

Anyway, being as though this is sponsored by Papa John’s, what’s everyone’s opinion on them?

My favourite pizza place now tbh. Always good offers on, and the All Day Breakfast pizza (when they have it on) with BBQ base is #1.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, it will be on Ifollow, so I will probably watch it. If of course that service will be working. Anyway, another game to gel better, so the result is not that important. May it be injury free at least.

I won’t be going as I am in Devon next week. I would go if I was at home.

Don’t forget your bucket and spade!

Nanza in Brownhills have always been mine because they used to make the fresh dough every morning.
But i don’t think they do now? the pressure of another zillion pizza and fast food outlets opening all over the place.
You go on just eat now and there must be at least 15 curry outlets willing to deliver, even from Walsall over 6 miles away.
We will be getting offers from Birmingham next

Possibly, although that shouldn’t be a barrier to national league sides playing in the competition if the will was there. More likely is that the sponsorship money would have to be shared by 120 clubs, rather than 48.

I have a vague memory of national league sides being in this (or a similar) competition some years ago. Anyone help with that?

I won’t.As you have probably observed I am in my second childhood :wink:

1 Like

Think it would be more competitive and chance for us to play teams we wouldn’t normally. And less be honest chance for none league teams to challange league clubs, let be honest some team in none league possibly have a better budget.

1 Like

used to rate that place.

got completely debagged in there once standing at the counter, after being on the beer all day with the football team lads.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:
At one point all 4 of my nephews and my brother in law worked there i bet they will remember it

1 Like

I’m sure non League teams were in it about 20 year’s ago unless I’m going mad

1 Like

Yeah I remember non League teams in it I think it was the top 10 teams in the conference or something like that . I’m sure we played Luton they were a non League team and we were in league 1 how time’s change

You’re right. From Wikipedia:

** For the 2000–01 competition, eight Football Conference sides also played in the tournament, resulting in 12 ties in each of the north/south sections in the first round, with only four teams in each section gaining a bye into the second round. The number of Conference entrants was increased to 12 starting in 2002–03, resulting in 14 first-round ties, and two teams in each regional section gaining a bye into the second round.

Conference teams no longer participated from the 2006–07 tournament onward, and the format reverted to 8 first-round teams in each section, with 8 sides gaining byes to the second round.[14]**

I won’t go to watch any of these games, never have since the rules changed and allowed U21 clubs. I don’t even check the score, the line up or the scorers etc. Even if I tried for any other game I would end up having a look but it’s so easy to ignore this joke of a competition.

3 Likes

It’s a mIcKEy MoUse cOmPEtiTioN. Denigrates the integrity of football.

Was only saying to a mate the other day that the Johnstones Paint trophy used to really good, the year we got to the final was a fantastic journey.

Beating Sheffield United and Preston on Sky and getting a full house at home for the semi final second leg.

Less said about the final, the better.

Good times though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like