W 1-0 vs Colchester United (H) - League Two - Sat 2nd Sept, 3pm

Into September we go and our first fixture of this month sees us hosting Colchester United in an early season bottom seven clash.

The U’s head to WS1 sitting 22nd in League Two after their first win of the season last time out against then-tabletoppers Gillingham. They’ve played 4 league games this season in comparison to our 5 after their season open at home against Swindon Town was postponed for a waterlogged pitch just 30 minutes before kick off!

Our visitors are led by Ben Garner, formerly manager of Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town & Charlton Athletic, who seems to have a pretty good record against the Saddlers as a manager. He had a reputation for playing attractive football in previous roles, especially whilst at Swindon where they labelled his style of play as Garner-ball. Following a slightly unsuccessful spell in South-East London with Charlton he’s dropped back into League Two where he will be hoping to rebuild his reputation and move back up the leagues. The start to the season needs some improvement for that to happen.

Having had a look at their squad, there aren’t any massive standout players like some of our more illustrious opponents may have, but they have a good mix of experience and youth. 19-year old midfielder Mauro Bandeira is on a season-long loan from Premier League side Arsenal and appears to be playing a key role so far this season having played in all of the games so far this season.

Mauro Bandeira

Colchester United’s recent fixtures and results are below:

Onto The Saddlers now and we desperately need to get 3 points on the board and start to climb the table sooner rather than later after only being able to take a point last time out against Grimsby Town.

We head into this game now winless in four games across all competitions, so Head Coach Mat Sadler surely has some thinking to do to improve our fortunes on the pitch. Chris Hussey will be missing due to his red card last time out, so perhaps we will now have to revert to a back four, rather than the three at the back we’ve been accustomed to.

In the press following the game, Sadler has praised his teams resilience, which is all well and good, but it’s time for something more than that as resilience will only get you so far.

With a full week of training ahead, barring any injuries who would you start in this fixture? Make two teams if you like, one in a 3-5-2 formation, and one with a back 4. Tom Knowles looks sure to start again following his return from injury, whilst Harry Williams might come back into the starting XI depending what formation we go with.

The only other thing to mention is that the transfer window closes on Friday night, so we could have new signings in the building ahead of this game, but we shall have to wait and see on that front. Let’s just hope we don’t sell anyone ten minutes before it shuts…

Enjoy the game if you’re going. UTS.

Walsall vs Colchester United - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Colchester United Win

0 voters

2 Likes

Farquharson should be back for this one, so i assume he’ll come in and play on the right of a back three with McEntee switching over to the left.

I wouldn’t rule out Allen in at LCB and Macca put in midfield as well.

2 Likes

Colchester’s latest result makes this seem a bit trickier now.

We really need a win, fail to beat these and you start to wonder where it’s going to come from.

2 Likes

1-2 they will be sky high with confidence so I think they will Nick it

Colchester at home then it’s Salford away, Swindon away, Wimbledon at home and Bradford away. These home games are must win otherwise we could find ourselves in big trouble! Big pressure already it feels like.

4 Likes

Walsall to be the better team
Final score 1-1
mcentee from a Corner from hutch
Colchester score from a through ball through a poorly positioned defence after A huge mistake from knowles giving the ball away just outside the centre circle while we are attacking
Matt to be booed when bought on at 68 mins for a tired draper
Evans to have a paddy
Walsall fans divided as we played well again but didn’t win again
Walsall fans to fight amongst themselves - pro win vs pro pretty occasional football

1 Like

4-0 to the Saddlers Gordon & DJ x 3. UTS

1 Like

This will be my last game for a while as work commitments kick back in until December. So I’m just going with the optimism of a 3-1 win.

I don’t really care if we play rubbish for 80 minutes and then go crazy for the last 10+8 mins stoppage time and score 3 off 3 chances.

1 Like

This has 1-1 written all over it.
After early optimism, that list of upcoming fixtures, now puts the fear of god in us, as Wednesburyres puts it ‘we could find ourselves in big trouble’.
From hoping to put ourselves in the top 10, now, unless we show ‘very quickly’ that we can turn performances into results, we could find ourselves desperate to hold on to lower mid table before 10 games have even been played.

I have confidence in us to win this. Their result on Saturday was a bit of a one off
2-1. 4912 in attendance
Early start for me from California

1 Like

Very likely!

It will be easy to write your match report on Saturday evening :wink:

That’s dedication. Are you flying straight back afterwards?

3 Likes

No need to fly, we’re not Wrexham you know! It’s only down the road, look:

1 Like

So the " early start" is just to get to the Railway for opening time.

Lol :beer::beers::tumbler_glass:

I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell. Was going to bring my new Ukrainian guest down on Saturday but just seen there are train strikes :see_no_evil::confused:

We underestimate Colchester United at our peril. They will be absolutely flying after a fine 3-0 romp at big spending GIllingham and will be straining at a leash to inflict similar misery on us.

Looking at the timetables for Saturday, you should be able to make it down in time for the game as per the normal route, but then not able to get back the same way.

Bit of a faff but doable - Transport for Wales trains are not affected by the action (or at least not directly) so if you can get to New Street or Wolves after the final whistle you could get one of their trains to Shrewsbury and then a connection on to Manchester where you’d need to get a bus onwards towards Wigan.

Or save yourself some grief and watch it on iFollow.

1 Like

It’s time we kicked our season off and started getting serious about picking up some points. As has been mentioned, we have some tough games on the horizon, any bad results from those will put us in a place we don’t want to be in, which may (will) cause some decent amongst the rank and file.
There’s a piece or two missing from the puzzle, I trust MS will get it right.
Three points on Saturday would be a step in the right direction.

1 Like