W 1-0 vs Newport County (A) - League Two - Sat 6th Aug, 3pm

It feels a bit too early in the season to judge this performance. Either we showed our ability to dig out a win when not at our best, or it’s a sign we might struggle against better teams. Only time will tell!

2 Likes

I think a big part of the problem was none of the midfield came deep to offer a pass for the defence to get them out of trouble when they were being pressed. That meant they were left with little option but to lump it up the middle and Newport were comfortably winning all the aerial stuff. I don’t remember us winning a second ball it the middle of the park all match. I expect Flynn and Hatswell to sort that out though; it should be an easy fix.

What happened to our hat trick marauding Centre forward DJ ? Did he get a kick ? Doesn’t sound like it, send him back waste of space, Cloughie knows more than he lets on

@Sadsfan We visited Ypres/Ieper as a family in 2019. Well worth a visit to remember the sacrifices made in WW1. (Forgive spelling inaccuracies please…) Passchendale, Tine Cot, Hill 62, Ypres town centre and the German Cemetery are excellent (if that’s the right word). And the Menin Gate at 8pm for the last post is powerfully emotional. There’s also a great theme park if that’s your kind of thing! Enjoy.

1 Like

You misunderstood my post WestieJack.

Read your original post back. Maybe you didn’t mean it ?

The point I’m making is that it’s never acceptable. I wanted to know why it’s okay for two men to behave like this towards each other ? This kind of behaviour isn’t acceptable full stop.

4 Likes

Don’t we have WMP at some away games ? Aren’t they the ones with the royal blue on top of their hi viz vests ? Or have I got this wrong ?

There were a couple of WMP there yesterday, they got talking to Walsall fans in Wetherspoons in the town and then went in the away end.

Please tell me there isn’t a Somme Theme Park…

1 Like

At every game, they were there yesterday too.

@Daz makes some good suggestions about places in and around Ieper, Last Post at Menin Gate at 8 o’clock is well worth a visit if you haven’t seen it. In Flanders Fields on the Grote Markt in Ieper town centre is also worth a visit. I like some of the small private museums like Hill 60. My eldest daughter still lives in Geluweld aka Hell Fire Corner on the Menin Road, there’s lots of small cemeteries with a handful of graves along that road, just as moving as the huge cemeteries like Tyne Cot. And @Stroller there is a theme park called Bellewaerde but it’s just a normal Alton Towers type place, nowt to do with the battlefields, far too much respect in Flanders for the war for any that malarky luckily :grin:

1 Like

I didn’t know they attended away games- that’s good news, but it appears that they’re not very effective if we are hearing stories of anti social fans openly abusing innocent fans on the terraces.
Do they make fans aware of their presence? I’m sure that if they did, the aggrieved parties who posted on here would surely have approached them at the time?

1 Like

Sorry , I did misunderstand your reply. No, you are are quite right. That sort of behaviour is not acceptable, but as a mature adult I think Blazing_Saddler dealt with it very well with his young son there as well as him being his primary concern.

Just a distasteful and unacceptable is whatever was said to one of our female fans by some of our own so called fans. The trouble is that people are too scared these days to get involved and come to the help of the innocent party and stand up to these neanderthals!!! Maybe it is my age now, but i am getting sick of them and have to say someting back, i just cannot stand by and do nothing. If they want to have a go then they will have 19 stone of me try and get past first!!!

4 Likes

Yeah, they are in uniform, they go to pubs beforehand too and it’s the usually same coppers every time so they know faces etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Dan - I don’t go to away games very often so that’s enlightened me.
Hopefully they are aware of the identity of the trouble makers and they will have dealt with them before the next away game.

1 Like

He sounds like everything Labadie was supposed to be at this level. And everything Chambers was great at.

Very promising for the season if he can keep being solid infront of the back 3 as that will mean the regular wing backs can regularly push on.

fair play mate i would be the same made me angry reading that absolute disgrace scumbags they are.Blazing and his family are walsall through and through and have followed the club everywhere over the years its not on.

3 Likes

Thanks @Daz and @Belgiansaddle , I have done hill 60 and 62 before and will be doing them again and also I will do Tyne Cot and then possibly the Passchendaele museum and Polygon Woods.
The last post at the Menin Gate is one of the most moving things I have seen.

2 Likes

The police that follow Walsall away are fantastic, fact is policing 850 Walsall fans on the beer becomes an impossible task.

4 Likes

The worry is, if we do have a bit of success then more of these fools will turn up. We know what it’s like when we have big games such as derbies and (rarely!) Cup ties.

Break that down a bit. Families go, football fans go. Of those who drink most will be after a pint or two to enjoy before the match. Of those the worse for wear, quite a few will be looked after and kept in line by their mates.

So it’s just a few hardcore drinkers out ruining it for everyone else. Easier to police, especially if the real football fans joined in shaming them.