W 2-1 vs Salford City (H) - League Two - Sat 9th Oct, 3pm

Next up for The Saddlers is a home fixture against moneybags Salford City, who are struggling compared to many people’s expectations so far this season.

The Ammies visit us sitting 15th in League Two with 12 points from their opening 10 league games, with their manager at the moment being ex-Blackburn and ex-Blackpool boss, Gary Bowyer.

Two ex-Saddlers may feature for Salford on Saturday - Tyreik Wright and Aramide Oteh, with both having featured on loan at some point in the past few seasons.

Salford City’s last six games

4th Sept - Carlisle United (a) - Lost 2-1
11th Sept - Bradford City (h) - Won 1-0
18th Sept - Tranmere Rovers (a) - Lost 2-0
25th Sept - Northampton Town (h) - Drew 2-2
2nd Oct - Colchester United (a) - Won 2-0
5th Oct - Tranmere Rovers (h) (PJT) - Lost 2-0

The Saddlers head into this game on the back of what many would say is a creditable draw with Exeter City last weekend (PJT game not included) and will probably have a bit of extra support behind them thanks to the ‘Friend for a Fiver’ offer on for this game, although how many friends you’ll have left after they’ve been to this game may total one less…….

Conor Wilkinson, Liam Kinsella, and Rory Holden all remain out injured, with Ash Taylor also missing from our last two outings (including PJT), so he may also be a doubt for this game.

The starting XI seems to pick itself given the injuries we’ve got, but Jack Rose will also make his 21/22 League debut following the well deserved call up to England Under 21’s for Carl Rushworth. George Miller will be hoping he’s got his shooting boots on still to add to his 4 league goals since joining on loan.

Hoping we can kick on in this game, but what do you think?

What would your starting XI be?

Anybody risking taking a mate?

What do you think the attendance will be? Expecting a coach load of Salford fans at best so the ‘Friend for a Fiver’ really needs to kick in to show any improvement on this front IMO.

Walsall vs Salford City - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Salford City Win

0 voters

We are going to smash em :wink:

1 Like

I think they have too much experience and technical quality in their ranks I really do. Two good centre halves that are likely to quite easily contain Miller and Phillips if I’m honest and great midfielders in Morris and Lund. Striking line up has quality too. For those reasons it’s 0-2 Salford for me.

I think we will win this. 2-1 will do for me.

Walsall 1 Salford 0
Att: 4630 , 115 away fans.

Think there’s an awful lot of rose-tintedness coming from one draw, but I do think we’ve got a chance here. That said I thought Bristol Rovers was a nailed on and look what happened there.

First 11 is what it is. There’s probably 3 alternative options in the entire fit squad so it’s all and nothing really.

No concerns over Rose though. I think he’s quite underrated amongst our fans because he doesn’t pull off wonder saves like Roberts and Rushworth do, but I think he commands his area better than both and I feel much more confident under crosses (which seems the one single weakness in Rushworths game).

I’ve actually convinced not one but two non regulars to tag along which could severely limit my social circle once they’ve waded to the loos.

3 Likes

Can see us winning this one, just hope that the team are fully fit. Also if we do score ww don’t go defensive which seems to happen. Wonder how much longer out will be out for Wilkinson.

Weem gonna smosh this lot home win for me I’ve predicted 2-1 on the prediction league thread but feeling more confident of a 3-1 victory now goals from Osadebe and Miller twice

The tweeking of a hamstring (that we were initially told) seems to have turned into a major mossive life changing injury!
Whilst we know that we will not see Holden back in a Walsall shirt again this season, does this mean a similar situation with Wilkinson?
What is wrong with fitness levels at our club? Again we still appear to be on our bottoms after 60+ minutes, hence we let in late goals as a consequence.
Someone at the club is to blame and the situation needs to be rectified.
1-1 on Saturday, we will get the first goal, but they will come back with a goal during our ‘on our knees’ period at the close of the game.

2 Likes

Wilko must have been a tear. No way is a strain a few months long injury, seems to have been gone for ages!
He will get injured again later in the season same as labadie and Holden if he ever actually gets fit in the first place.
Some of our players are decent but their levels of fitness across the club is crazy bad

Makes me wonder if Matt started training the players with the same intensity as he did with kids at spurs purely speculation of course but if he did ageing legs and bodies will injure more than youthful kids.

No point predicting this one. Trevor Kettle is ref. Who knows what’ll happen?

2 Likes

Yes, I love that man.

Hope it doesn’t boil over.

We might have to give him a sweetener

I think we might!!! Mind you these days his awfulness does not stand out. It is basically the norm at this level.

1 Like

Good old Trevor likes to brew up a storm any game I’ve seen him ref

Whistle happy I’ve heard.

1 Like

Really think he is just one of the few refs who just likes to make a name for himself good or bad and just likes the spotlight and if so should be struck off .

Oh no!
Not Trevor bloody kettle!
That’s set the tone for the match.
What an irritating little man…….