W 2-1 vs Salford City (H) - League Two - Sat 9th Oct, 3pm

Look at the gates

1 Like

Perhaps the club should revert to poster campaigns to drum up support, as they appear to have been far more effective than anything they’ve come up with since!

2 Likes

Doug Fraser and Stan Jones in the Albion team. Stan missed the final(s) because of injury.

John Kaye against Stan Bennett must have been a bruising encounter.

I was at the match but only 8 at the time so all I remember was the traffic on the way there backed up to the Scott Arms. More striking is the result in the cutting posted by @kevlar. Swansea 1 Workington 6! How times have changed,

I know it was Kit Napier who got the hat-trick, and Jimmy Moran who got the brace, but was the Oliver who scored Ken Oliver who was our assistant manager back in the late 70s?

Salford - a nothing club bringing about 10 fans, all bankrolled by the biggest hypocrite in football.

Always nice to beat clubs like that.

3 Likes

Was at the game with my grandad (a Baggies season ticket holder) can’t remember much about it other than it seemed packed.

I was with two mates who were Baggies fans - there was no segregation in those days. Yes, Athey’s goal - a rare beast - was unluckily ruled out and I also recall the alternate chants. One of the best all-round atmospheres of any game. The tie leading up to it was special too, with us 2-0 down at half-time and winning with a last-minute penalty from Clarke. Frank Gregg scored that night too.

In those days, when there was a cup tie that was also a local derby, it was a big game for the larger club as well as for the smaller one. Nowadays, they just put out the reserves and it barely means anything.

My Dad took me to the Final. That was a great game. With Jones out, Albion had a problem at centre-half but they went 2-0 up, until Rodney Marsh started to play and they lost 3-2. I thought it was brilliant but not many of the people around me were so happy. It was the only time I went to the old Wembley.

I was at the Hawthorns for our 1-3 defeat and clearly recall the vocal support for both teams and Stan Bennett’s bizare own goal from distance. I also was at the final v QPR at Wembley as neighbours were Baggies season ticket holders and took me along as a treat. But, wasn’t the final in our season over two legs v West Ham? I was at that too as a guest of said neighbours.

I was wondering about that too. It’s easier to remember individual matches than place them in relation to other games in the same season.

The final in “our” year was against West Ham, over two legs and Albion won. The next season it was held at Wembley for the first ever time, and QPR beat the Baggies. Albion were 2-0 up at half time through Chippy Clark, but Rangers rose from the dead and Lazarus got the winner.
We had a decent run that year and lost in the fourth round to Sheff Utd.

I’ve got the programmes for all 3 of those games. Went to the Wembley game v QPR as my old man was an Albion fan and it was before I started watching Walsall.

My first ever game was the League Cup final in 1970, when Man City beat Albion. An Albion supporting friend of my dad had sorted him two tickets.
Do you think there were any actual Albion fans at any of these games? :grin:

1 Like

As a youth I often went with said neighbours to the Hawthorns when Walsall were away. I also went occasionally to Villa Park and to Molyneux to see top teams in action. Recall being in a crowd of 55,000 at the later to see Wolves & Albion draw 3-3 in a night game. ‘Bomber’ Brown punching in a goal which everyone saw bar the officials. Nothing changes does it in footie?

1 Like

How much for all 3?

Those were the days when Swansea and Watford could only dream of gates like ours.

1 Like

A lot of them in tears when Lazarus scored.

Rodney Marsh’s goal was brilliant - a player like him playing for a division 3 team. (Don Rogers was similarly magnificent for Swindon when they beat Arsenal). These days, he would have been poached when he was 14.

By the way, Saddlers beat QPR 2-0 (I think) later in the season.

1 Like

Thar 2-0 result is my 1st Walsall FC memory. Read it in the Daily Mirror. I think I was 7 years old.

Yow a collector?