W 2-1 vs Stockport County (A) - FA Cup Round Three - Sun 8th Jan, 2pm

How weird! I appear to be writing about Walsall Football Club playing in the Third Round of the FA Cup. Some would say this cannot be, but let me assure you it is real and it is happening!

Stockport County are our hosts for this tie, and both teams will see it as an unbelievable opportunity to make the FOURTH ROUND! of the FA Cup, although County may be more confident following the recent victory in WS1.

I wrote a preview all about the hosts for that game, so I won’t repeat it here again for my own sanity and the fact it has to be boring to read the same stuff twice in quick succession (just pray there isn’t a replay!).

In the one game that The Hatters have played since our league game, they lost 1-0 away to Grimsby Town. In the one game that The Saddlers have played since our league game, we won 2-1 at home to Mansfield Town.

Isaac Olaofe has joined the hosts since we last played them, signing for an undisclosed fee from Championship side, Millwall, and he will be hoping to get onto the pitch to show his new supporters what he can do.

The Saddlers have today moved to bring in 6’5 Bristol City centre back Joe Low on loan until the end of the season, and it will be interesting to see if Michael Flynn throws him straight into the starting XI or leaves him on the bench. The other option of course is that he won’t make the squad.

Liam Kinsella is something of a goal threat these days, so in the words of @WiltshireSaddler “lump on” him bagging another here and you could find yourself considerably richer than you are right now…

A sold out away end awaits the lads, and hopefully they can muster up a better performance against these opponents this time. How many UTS’ers will be there? I shall be!

Starting XI for this game? Name yours.

Enjoy the game, and for those of you who ‘reside’ in the USA, don’t forget the game is being shown on ESPN+ because we are MOSSIV

Come on You Reeedddssss

Stockport County vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Stockport County Win
  • Draw (Replay)
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

1 Like

We will win this 1-0. They will be over confident and we will play a defensive game scoring late on from a breakaway.

I’ll ask on here as well - anyone with a ticket for Block 5 of the Together Family Stand on the side who would like to swap for a seat behind the goal?

With our fantastic support it will carry us over the line, they will feel like they are playing 12 men :wink:

1 Like

Gutted I’m missing these last few games i dont miss many, so hoping we get through and this broken wrist mends quick and I’ll be back for the 4th round

Depends on the lineup I guess, if DJ is unavailable we might struggle up top against these.

Still I’ll go for a 1-2 win!!

Ps is anyone risking the trains on Sunday?

We’ve been poor against these twice, not sure whether they are a bit of a bogey team therefore or whether Challinor is one of the few managers in the league who is able to get the better of Flynn. Based on the last two performances I can’t see past a defeat, although it will be narrow. Fingers crossed for third time lucky on our part :crossed_fingers:t2::smiley:

1 Like

re trains - yes a few of us

Just didn’t know if the strikes may cause disruption on the Sunday and we get stuck up there :rofl:

2 Likes

Quite possibly yeah, from Stafford.

1 Like

Considering driving to somewhere like Wilmslow and getting the train from there, only about c.10 mins train journey and station just few minutes from the ground. Parking at stadium very limited/non-existent

1 Like

I will be (from Wigan) if I can find anyone willing to part with a spare ticket (hint hint) :wink:

1 Like

That’s my plan also mate, it’s only 45 mins saves messing with the M6.

Just get one on the day in the home end mate, you will still enjoy the day out.

From a financial point of view the best case scenario, despite the extra game, might be our game being the only draw of the round with a massive draw in Round 4. We’d get the gate money from the away tie, a bumper crowd for the home replay, TV money from the replay and, if we win, the prize money and that big game in Round 4. Wouldn’t that be wonderful.

2-0 defeat it is.

2 Likes

Would take a draw right now . Just to be in the hat for the next round

I have a feelin we will beat um

Not decided yet. I see that there’s a warning on the Cross Country site that there is an amended timetable and (after a week of strikes) ‘trains are likely to be extremely busy’. Also, the day after a strike it’s not unusual for trains not to turn up.
I drove to Stockport years and years ago and parked right outside the ground. Things won’t be as easy this time.

Parking was a nightmare for the league game, took ages to get away from the ground!

Cant see us beating them… especially if we dont have dj and bow we have lost bennett… reqlly hope im wrong and i hope they give us something to cheer about on the day