W 3-1 vs Mansfield Town (H) - League Two - Sat 11th Sept, 3pm

We welcome Mansfield Town to The Banks’s Stadium on Saturday for the next instalment of our League Two season.

The Stags are managed by Nigel Clough and come into this fixture on the back of a home defeat against Harrogate Town last Saturday and they find themselves 14th in the table, which isn’t the start a team that have spent money (and allegedly have the biggest squad across Leagues One and Two) would have expected.

Their last six league fixtures have been:

7th Aug - Bristol Rovers (H) - Won 2-1
14th Aug - Newport County (H) - Won 2-1
17th Aug - Colchester United (A) - Drew 1-1
21st Aug - Bradford City (H) - Lost 3-2
28th Aug - Swindon Town (A) - Lost 1-0
4th Sept - Harrogate Town (H) - Lost 3-1

In the last fixture, TWO Stags players received red cards, and providing no successful appeal is made on these, both Ollie Clarke and Stephen Quinn will be missing.

On to The Saddlers. Last time out we gained an impressive 1-1 draw against Bradford City, impressive due to the fact we played around 60 mins (including injury time) with 10 men following the dismissal of our captain Joss Labadie. Hopefully the experience of having our backs to the wall has done a lot for team morale and togetherness and we start to really turn the corner going forward, starting here.

Similar to our visitors we will definitely be missing two of our recent first XI, with Joss Labadie starting a 3-game ban for his prior dismissal, and Rollin Menayese being ineligible to play against his parent club. This opens up opportunities for (hopefully) Sam Perry in CM, and will probably see the return of Ash Taylor into the defence.

Other team news - Conor Wilkinson may or may not be fit after his hamstring injury, and Tyrese Shade made his return against Bradford so may be pushing to regain his place in the starting XI. Rory Holden remains sidelined by a mystery recurring injury.

Saturday’s result has given many Saddlers fans a bit more positivity about the side, and hopefully we can properly kick our season off with a win here, what are your thoughts?

Walsall vs Mansfield Town - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Mansfield Town Win

0 voters

1 Like

Think we’ll edge this, can see them going 442 which may play into out hands.

Looking forward to it. One nil win.

Nobody cares! There’s already 30 posts on the Brighton thread, that’s where the action is. :rofl:

4 Likes

Papa John’s Trophy > League Two

Saturday’s hard fought for point could hopefully be the kick start to our season.

2-0 win

2 Likes

Difficult game this with Rollin, Labadie, Wilkinson and of course Holden missing. Gone for a draw.

1 Like

I thought that :+1:

Thought, or like me, hoped :wink:

1 Like

:pray: :pray: :pray: :joy:

1 Like

I’m away in Yorkshire so we will probably win 4-0 just to spite me.

1 Like

Have the club confirmed that they are/are not appealing Labadie’s red card?

Depending on Wilkinson being fit, think 3.1 would be nice. But without him another back to the wall game to come maybe 1.1 if lucky again.

Aslong as we get a better result than our youth team keep getting in happy x

Games against Clough teams always seem to be tedious 1-1 draws and you forget what’s happened 10 minutes after the finish.

Probably same here.

Anyone fancy another early goal then 85 minutes of back to the wall defending?

If it results in a 1-0 win I’d take it as a positive sign of continued progression and something to continue building on. The draw at Bradford was great and hard won but it only counts for something if you then follow it up with a home win.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JoeEdwards_Star/status/1435950690912940033?s=20

Might as well forget Holden for a while again then.

1 Like

The Wilkinson ones a bit of a worry , that could be several weeks

1 Like