W 3-1 vs Oldham Athletic (A) - League Two - Tue 19th Oct, 7:45pm

Our next stop on this season’s League Two tour is to the cold, murky depths of Boundary Park where we head on Tuesday evening to take on Oldham Athletic. After a turbulent start to their season where they looked dead and buried from the start and had to contend with multiple pitch invasions in protest against their owner, they are now slowly grinding their way out of the drop zone.

The Latics are managed by ex-dingle Keith Curle and find themselves languishing in 21st place in the league, albeit only 3 places and 2 points behind The Saddlers, with 9 goals scored and 16 conceded in 12 league games.

The star man for the home side will be Dylan Bahamboula who I for one wouldn’t mind seeing in a Saddlers shirt at some point.

Their last six fixtures have provided the following results:

21st Sept - Brentford (A) (EFL3) - Lost 7-0
25th Sept - Rochdale (A) - Won 1-0
28th Sept - Leeds United U23 (H) (PJT) - Lost 3-2
2nd Oct - Harrogate Town (H) - Lost 2-1
9th Oct - Mansfield Town (A) - Drew 0-0
16th Oct - Stevenage (H) - Won 3-0

The Saddlers head into this fixture on a 3-game unbeaten run in the league, with fans cautiously optimistic after recent showings, culminating in a good performance against Leyton Orient where we deserved the win, but just couldn’t get the goal.

On the injury front, Liam Kinsella and Rory Holden are recovering from their respective issues, but Conor Wilkinson now appears to be back in the fold and raring to go following a recent lay-off.

In terms of the starting XI, the team pretty much picks itself, but I would possibly give Wilkinson a start in place of either Phillips or Kiernan.

We should head into this game full of confidence and belief and I feel we should attack this from the off, so with that in mind I would be picking an attacking line up here.

Who makes your starting XI?

Are you going? If so, wrap up as it’s always freezing, and I’ll see you there.

Any other thoughts, let us know.

Oldham Athletic vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Oldham Athletic Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

1 Like

Me and two others going. Think we’ll edge this but certainly won’t be easy. May have on and off the field issues but certainly no mugs. Some good players on their day in that squad.

4 Likes

Why do teams we are about to play start winning just before we play them?

2 Likes

Gonna be another draw

I feel I should mention August of 2004, when we lost 5-3. The sun was out and it was warm, which was good because I was still trying to thaw out from December of 2000. My word, that was a cold game. 0-0 and totally crap, which didn’t help.

1 Like

Isn’t the side of the stand completely open to the elements so if the winds blowing through it your pretty much screwed?

I think the town of Oldham is completely open to the elements. :laughing:

1 Like

:rofl: true mate I can’t remember many freezing cold matches off the top of my head,probably because I had a hat on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

I am hoping our improvement will continue so I think we will win 2-1.

We’re three points above relegation and five off the play offs. Would be nice to get to a position where we were closer to the latter than the former.

Oldham have hit a bit of form at the same time our little revival began.

It’ll be another tight one alright.

1 Like

It seems we always play at Boundary Park during cold, rainy and windy Tuesday nights.
I’ve always found the place to be not very inviting, most of our fans dislike going there.
Please continue the fabulous support for the lads on Tuesday, if we play the same way we did at Orient, we should comfortably bring home three points.
I know anything can happen in football, but we’re improving with each game and have momentum on our side.
I believe MT and the squad have finished the experiment and are close to finding the right formula to take us up the table.
I’m going for a Walsall win.

I’ll second that David the fans that have travelled have been superb and in brilliant numbers,it’s also nice to see a key attribute of Matt is he always and I do mean always mentions the fans after and before a game he sees the connection between players and fans crucial and in a game nowadays that sees players walk off pitches without clapping towards their fans or even throwing a shirt to a young boy or girl in the front row is refreshing to see.

We are finally starting to show promise, a win for me.

Always seems to be freezing at Oldham whenever we play them (which is usually a dark Tuesday evening for some reason! Hoping to go on Tues, work and family permitting.

I remember going years ago wrapped up with three layers, thick coat, hat and gloves and sat behind Doffer who was just wearing a short sleeve t-shirt but did have gloves!!:joy::man_facepalming:

We need to start winning soon, for all the talk of turning the corner and we did play well yesterday the fact is we’ve only won 3 games this season hopefully after Oldham and Barrow that will be 5 wins and we will start climbing the table.
Oldham 0 Walsall 1
314 Walsall fans .

I always blame the flat 1-0 defeat there for us just missing out in 2015/16. They were so there for the taking.

Hiwula missed a sitter and Pennington messed up for their goal.

Must have been there a dozen times and by and large it has been miserable. Exceptions being the Otta brace in the Graydon miracle season and a consummate 2-0 under Dosh with Dann and Ricketts scoring. Was around Christmas time - a few weeks later we let both goalscorers go in a window that for me was the first big domino to topple in the journey to being a bottom half fourth division club.

2 Likes

I managed to trap my ankle under the floor to ceiling turnstile. When the beer wore off the next day it was agony!

Rambo got one of them, Walter Otta got the other. Gadsby and Roper were our central defenders, so it was a huge win, especially because Man City were held to yet another draw at Maine Road that day.

3 Likes

Right you are sir. As ever! :smiley::smiley:

From memory we were to the right of the goal as you looked at the pitch. Then a few years later the away bit was right in the middle behind the goal (remember a very cold game a week or so before Christmas- we must have had barely a hundred there) and then we were to the left of the goal for a few seasons. Now we are at the other end. The “Chaddy Road” end which for may Latics is sacrilegious- a bit like making the street end the away end.

1 Like

The win when Graydon was manager was around Christmas time also as I can remember us singing “Oh I wish we could play Oldham every day” ! Coasted to victory that day.

Think we also won at Oldham under Smith once, Lalkovic scored in a 1-0 win.

1 Like