W 3-1 vs Tranmere Rovers (A) - League Two - Sat 6th April, 3pm

Indeed Avanti are supposed to be running, or to be more accurate theyre not on strike. No doubt they will still cancel half the trains :roll_eyes:. Pain in the butt from Wigan though. Usually 30-40 mins to Lime Street but Northern are striking so got to go via crewe and it takes hour and half :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Indeed W1 - and the FA cup game against Newcastle, when Gorgeous George Andrews nodded home at the far post to make in 1-0 and spark amazing scenes amongst the Saddlers faithful, would never have been played!

1 Like

I had forgotten thatā€¦perhaps on reflection my comments were treasonable

2 Likes

A lot of fun has gone out of the game since then. Malcolm MacDonald is alleged to have said after looking at the pitch he would score 5 !!! Well Newcastle got stuck in the mud but our George didnā€™t rising like an angel at the far post to head home from a great cross from Roger Fry. Great times denied to our youth by an overriding Health and Safety culture.

1 Like

I fancy a 3-1 Walsall win. Losing 1-0 at half time and then just going for it from 60 minutes onwards.

1 Like

He was probably the hardest player who ever wore the Walsall shirt. Imagine him and Bernie Wright alongside each other. A lot of centre backs might develop mystery injuries to avoid them. Apparently, Bernie used to turn up for training in a tee shirt whatever the weather.

Didnā€™t Kirby once take out a fan who had come on the pitch at Millwall?

2 Likes

I was watching as a 9 year old leaning on the cowshed wall! What amazing memories. I have to assume that @KingCrod must be a relatively young man who who doesnā€™t remember all this!

1 Like

Stockport away a few years ago, now that was rain.

1 Like

He did do that. An aerial challenge with the Millwall Centre Half, Snowden I think., resulted in George treading on the stomach of the centre half when they landed on the floor. This incensed a Millwall fan who ran on the pitch . I am not sure what happened next but he soon ran off again! That was the first time I encountered football hooliganism and I was pleased Millwall equalised about 8 minutes from time. If they hadnā€™t I might not be writing this now!!

You canā€™t put a price on safety and welfare. If our football team canā€™t be top of the league our safeguarding should be top of the league standard.

1 Like

A decent record up there in recent times.

Will go for 2-2.

Great player was George Andrews. Iā€™ve never seen a player, past or present, who could head the ball like he could, they donā€™t make them like that anymore.
People forget what a privilege it was to see players like George Andrews, Colin Taylor, Bernie Wright, Colin Harrison, George Kirby and Alan Buckley - just great memories.
Iā€™m thinking we can come away with a win at Tranmere. In all honesty, we have to get three points just to keep pace with the pack and hope clubs above us lose some ground.
We just cannot afford to drop points or have any slip ups especially in a race as tight as this one is.
Fingers crossed the results will fall in our favour in the few weeks.

2 Likes

And such an innocent face :innocent: :joy:

1 Like

Not me bud people say you look at the past with rose coloured spectacles but not were those players are concerned ā€˜we were very fortunate indeed .I wish every Walsall fan could have seen those players .

1 Like

The memory of this match leads me nicely onto another memory. Almost forty years after this match I engaged in conversation with an obviously Geordie sounding Property Services Director of a Social Housing provider we were working with and steering the chat towards football it transpired that he was a Newcastle fan who was there on the day. Strangely enough he didnā€™t recall it being the positively memorable occasion that I did. At least it was memorable for both of us, but clearly not in the same way.

2 Likes

Probably not the best time to give your head a wobble then, as Anne Boleyn once said

2 Likes

Yes. They already removed loads of services from their timetable including the direct service from Lichfield I was planning to catch. Iā€™ll head to Stafford instead and use the London NW service that are all running (so far).

1 Like

Yes sir, we were fortunate. All those years ago, I can still see Colin Taylor flying down the left wing, the shot on him was something to behold - have never seen a ball hit harder!

George Kirbyā€™s later equivalent would have been Graeme Forbesā€¦

2 Likes

Matt a doubt

Farquharson, Daniels and Oteh available

Jellis also available, apparently really impressed in a behind closed doors game this week

Earing and Knowles to be back for Bradford, maybe sooner

7 Likes