W 4-1 vs Gillingham (H) - League Two - Sat 14th Oct, 3pm

Something a little bit different this week, as I spoke to Matt, host of ‘Gills In The Blood’, who gave us the low down on all things Gillingham ahead of our clash this weekend….

The Gills season so far?

Well we currently sit third in the table after a dozen games, winning seven of those, keeping five clean sheets & sitting within two points of the summit.

Based on that you would think everything would have been fairly routine and rosey so far, but that never seems to be the Gills way.

Despite being no lower than eighth up to this point we somewhat surprisingly (regardless of whether it was the right or wrong call) dismissed manager Neil Harris just six days ago, with the fan base fairly divided as to whether that was the correct call at this stage of the season.

Since then we’ve won our solitary league game under the stewardship of interim gaffer Keith Millen - seeing off MK Dons by two goals to one - but were soundly beaten to the tune of 5-1 by Portsmouth in our midweek lea gue trophy game, albeit with a much changed squad.

Millen has said he doesn’t want the post full time, but who the new Head Coach (a change of approach according to the owners’ notes when sacking Harris) will be remains to be seen.

Candidates range from those out of work - Karl Robinson & the Cowley brothers - to local man & current Crawley Town boss Scott Lindsey to former player Steve Bruce if you believe the bookies’ lists, but do any immediately scream ‘upgrade’?
That depends on personal opinion I guess.

The next few weeks could be interesting to say the least, & could be key to how the rest of our campaign ultimately pans out.

It’s important we make the right call in a timely fashion as we have good players. The likes of Shad Ogie & Ethan Coleman have really stepped up, & in Connor Mahoney we have one of the best wide men in the division.

In terms of a score prediction I’m torn, but if thinking with my head I will go with a 1-1 draw.

I also sat down to speak Walsall with Matt for his channel last night……

Walsall vs Gillingham - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Gillingham Win

0 voters

11 Likes

Thread now live!

2 Likes

The lineup will be interesting this weekend and although I’d love to be positive I can’t see us getting anything from this one.I’d like to see us start brightly and move the ball around but I fear the opposite will happen and we will be behind early again.Be nice to see me old mucka @RedandWhite for a few beers though as it seems like ages since we were at home on a Saturday.

1 Like

Looking forward to it mate.
I’m thinking it’ll be the normal Walsall way and we’ll probably get a result against these and take the pressure off the manager.
Some might think it’s a little early to be talking about pressure on the manager but is it ? results and performances are on a downward slide and fans are already rumbling with discontent.
I so want it to all work out but my confidence in MS is beginning to dwindle I’m afraid, but I will be the first to say well down if he can turn us around.

4 Likes

Good stuff @RobHarv3y enjoyed that chat.

Coming down for this with Lutfi Ukrainian lad for his first visit to Fortress Bezla (trains permitting). He has 100% win record so far having gone to Salford and Bradford and thats the only straw i can find to clutch to. I had to explain the meaning of the phrase “it’s the Walsall way” to Lutfi when he asked “how is it possible to be 4 nil down at ht to a team who is bottom?” :thinking:

Agree with what Rob said in chat that i have no idea about formation, team, performance or result. More worryingly i doubt if MS does either. Tombola time ay it.

Shout out to Graham SLO who has gone out of his way to make Lutfi feel welcome to come to this match after meeting him at Salford and Bradfird. Graham gets lots of stick, mostly for stuff he has no control over. But i speak as i find and have always found him helpful and he’s clearly a fan.

13 Likes

I’m keeping with the theme of the season - I expect us to win this one 1-0; install a sense of hope (again); and then lose the next two.

4 Likes

So, after saying that I won’t be going again following the Sutton debacle, I find myself with a ticket in my wallet.
“You need therapy”, my wife said.
“I look upon it as a sort of marriage, you take the rough with the smooth”, I replied.
“If thats a marriage then you’re victim of domestic abuse”, she said.
Fair point, I think.
Anyway - zero expectations, as always, I have us down to lose but…against the better teams - we all know the story…
UTS

9 Likes

Why have you gone for a draw on the poll then, hedging your bets :wink::smiley:

2 Likes

No confidence at all for this one im afraid.

Saddlers 0 Gills 5

Lazy. They’ve scored less than a goal a game.

Cue Walsall FC!

They are due a few then!
Just hope we can get something but my positivity has slumped im afraid.

To be fair and without knowing you or your wife. She has a point :grinning:

My head says - I think this will be 1-1 but with Gillingham having more chances and generally being the best team.

My heart says 4-0 to the super saddlers. DJ hat-trick and goal for Jamma.

2 Likes

I’m going for a tight 5 nil loss. We will get a reaction in the last 10mins

1 Like

Are you the man in the lower tier who has a father christmas type of beard. My youngest thinks you are santa and would like a photo

We will win this in my view. 2-1 will do.

I fancy us to lose by the odd goal, probably 1-0.

Hopefully, my miserable prediction will be wrong.

Ha ha, no - sorry to tell your nipper.
Truth be told I don’t even have a beard now. I had one when I first registered on here and the nickname is a bit of a joke these days

Can’t make this game, but glad I’m missing Jonny “diving” Williams. Cannot stand him.