W 4-1 vs Gillingham (H) - League Two - Sat 14th Oct, 3pm

And / or Knowles …

I cant wait! Love getting to a game when work and time allows.

DJ could becoming into form. DJT might begin to show an once of confidence. Draper could be fit, DD could be sat alongside McEntee in defence, Oteh could combine with Knowles on the wing and Hutchinson could be sat behind attack.

We could win.

We will Win. I Hate Gillingham. UTS

Confident we will give it more of a go than vs Sutton

3-0 gillingham

1 Like

I hate playing gillingham at home and Walsall fans thinking it’s a hard point at best but most likely we will get thrashed

I’m so upset this is what we have become

2 Likes

Our most played fixture. We’re currently slightly behind with 46 wins against 47 (25 draws), but we have won 8 of the last 20 meetings compared to their 3 (the last time we lost to them being in 2017).

Gordon is out but Allen is back to fill in at LB - unless Sadler goes for a back 3 again with Oteh as LWB? That might actually be a good thing if it means McEntee at CB and thus allowing a more creative midfielder alongside Stirk - although more likely it would be Comley now that he’s back in the matchday squad.

We have to go for a front 2 rather than a lone striker - we’re at home and should be setting up to dominate not play on the break.

3 Likes

To be fair 4-2-3-1 and many other lone striker formations were never invented for playing on the break. They were meant to give more options in attack. Top heavy formations designed to press high up the pitch.

2 Likes

I think this will be tight, 1-2 to the Gills if we go 3 at the back. I’d go for this line-up and formation…

5 Likes

I think you could be spot on with that.

I think Riley will play RB in this, he is a more secure option.

I’d love to see the wingers switch sides throughout the game. Give there fullbacks something to think about

1 Like

For all his faults, I would play Knowles and not Oteh. He can frighten defences in a way that few of our players can. I include our own defence in that.

4 Likes

Think this is the sort of set up most of us would more than likely chose from the current available squad, however this is Sadlertime, DJ, Oteh, will not get a smell in, Matt will lead as chief ‘striker’ with DJT up front, whilst midfield/defence will be a mixture of square pegs in round holes to give the Gills maximum advantage as they all run around like headless chickens not knowing what their role is or what formation Sadlertime has invented.
Minimum 3 goal lead to the Gills just as a result of bad choices and lack of formation.

1 Like

Lutfi will be there. What could go wrong?

Don’t think we are gonna get pasted like some do, ill go for a scrappy 1-1 draw here.

1 Like

I would like to see two things. First that we maintain our improved discipline and do not have any red cards. Second, that we start the game better. In most of the matches this season, we have been under the cosh in the first five minutes or so. Rob Williams, in his commentary on Tuesday, said that teams that let in early goals in either half suffer from a lack of concentration. As a left-field comment: perhaps the huddle just before kick-off does not help. The players might be better getting their minds focused.

Sadler talking about Gillingham’s ‘reputation’ in his pre match interview has really pished me off.

They finished below us last season, if anything they have less reputation than us.

1 Like

Sadler always bigs the opposition up and makes us to be the weaker team
I wonder what the players think if he never believes his team can be the better team

5 Likes

Have you seen the signings they made in January and the summer? Also their record since January?
Their defensive style under Harries got him the sack but they are one of the favourites for certain this year.
A win against these will be the result of the season for us so far.
Can’t remember a manager who has said the opposition is shit in an interview. Pretty standard manager comments before a game.

2 Likes

All managers do this. Flynn loved dropping a line about good budgets and teams backing their manager but it didn’t stop us beating them during our good run or likely contribute to us losing to them after January.
There were accusations of us underestimating Sutton last week. But Sadler had said the same sort of things about them as he has Gillingham.
These are just generic cut and paste manager interviews repeated up and down the country.

3 Likes

The confirmation bias in respect of anything Sadler says it does is off the scale. It’s depressing.

Fine, moan about scorelines and / or performances by all means, we all do that in some form, but some of what people are finding to moan about is just ridiculous.

6 Likes

We are the home team, and I would hope we press from the off and not sit back and give these too much time to settle and start playing, like we have been doing with most other visiting sides here and giving them the upper hand early on.

2 Likes