Walsall Football Club - So Many Issues

Take your point but has any of our regular media outlets like WM, Express & Star actually asked to interview him?

Either way, it would be a statement that says a lot and tells us nothing and contains some/all of these…

We have already acted quickly in this window to permanently secure Menayese.
We have a number of targets identified.
We are working to bring numerous players in.
We will only bring in players who are better than we already have.
We are doing our due dilligence and background checks of some
of them.

Etc etc etc

Most clubs at any level would probably say the same things during any transfer window tbh.

3 Likes

WM interview MT every week. That Wolves presenter nearly always cuts the interview short, thats if he plays it all.

I would still add one person to the board. Someone mid forty, who has some experience, skill in dealing with things called ‘football club in rough business seas’. When I read that list posted above, it is quite striking that new blood is needed. But not only someone younger, but also someone with some skill and experience. Of course I perfectly know, there is covid and many other issues stopping us from doing it. But rent is a small snowflake on the tip of the iceberg. Results of the last games are meaningless too for this topic.

1 Like

Thing is, how many interviews do you see from directors of football at other clubs in relation to transfer deals?

Even if they did, its only going to be the generic responses because they won’t want to give anything away to scupper any potential deals

It’ll be the usual, “We’re working on 1 or 2 deals” “We know the areas we need to strengthen” "“Hoping to have something sorted in the next few days” etc

Taylor has already stated he wants a full back and a striker, so I’d much rather Fullarton be working behind the scenes this week going all out to sign atleast a left back ready for next Saturday.

1 Like

It’s not about the transfer window I want to know mate.

I want to know about the trajectory, style of play, philosophy etc etc.

2 Likes

I think the style of play can be answered by reading this

I think with us being so inconsistent, with us averaging a win, a draw and a loss every three games, means the four points we pick up to then go and lose a game (usually against a team who haven’t won in 5 games) means that it’ll always be one step forward and two steps back, and that’s the most annoying thing about us.

Clarke has done fairly well wherever he has been apart from here why is that? He’s just one in a long line of managers who got the blame in recent years Taylor will be next unless the morons who run the club suddenly change

2 Likes

Its not about the current on field issues though. Its about the off the field problems we see week in and out.

I’ve just written the following meandering, directionless thoughts and so apologise in advance if you do bother to read it, as it’s a couple of minutes of your life you won’t get back!

You suspect that it is going to be years before our Academy, or youth system, or whatever it is called produces a sustained level of throughput capable of holding down first team places.

I get the impression that the wholesale playing side review allegedly being undertaken by the DoF includes the developmental stages, which again I get the impression that he doesn’t think too highly of. It therefore begs the question of what exactly the once highly praised Miguel Llera has achieved/is achieving. Is he as good as we are told/hoped him to be, or is he hamstrung by the reality of the actual level of resources going into “infrastructure”?

I feel that all the talk and information that we do get from the club is just something that we can beat them up about when things don’t happen, or work out and so it just seems to turn out to be waffle.

I can’t remember whether I’ve made this point on here before, but the concern for me in respect of the DoF is who is “qualified” to judge whether he is actually doing a good job, as the Chairman has stated that nobody on the board has football expertise to judge that performance/approach? Does the DoF have to come clean at some point down the line and recommend to the Chairman to sack him as he hasn’t done a good job? The Chairman seems to have given the Head Coach two years to get promotion (I think), but what about the DoF? Has he been given a timescale to prove himself? Or does it get to a stage where it’s bleedin’ obvious that the DoF might be rubbish and gets sacked anyway? I don’t understand why the Chairman seems to think that a DoF is necessarily a long-term appointment, especially a successful one, who is possibly just as likely to be head-hunted as a Coach/Manager would be. I appreciate that there fewer DoF positions around, but the principle remains.

Has the DoF decreed that we play a rigid 4-2-3-1 system throughout the club for so long as is here, or is that down to the Head Coach? Is the club identity being established by the DoF, or the Head Coach?

The conveyor belt of “right character” players that the DoF has allegedly got lined up to replace any departees, are they available and will they want to come here? Presumably those players are just names and that is as far as it could go at the moment.

The latest example of Leak appearing not to be trusted by MT to perform for the first team is very concerning, especially as two senior central defenders were unavailable and he is a regular on the bench. If not against Stevenage, then when is he is ever going to be given another chance, as if not him, then who? A full back! Does it take three central defenders to be unavailable for him to be “risked”, or more? Surely if you’re going to bring somebody else into the side from “out in the cold” like Mills, equally and preferably Sadler would have been a more obvious solution especially as he is a left sided central defender? Do we assume that both Sadler and Leak are finished as players here?

Whilst not all necessarily products of our system, Bates, Perry, Willis and Foulkes, don’t seem to be close to either making, or re-making breakthroughs to become regular starters. Bates and Perry are struggling for game time having both demonstrated an ability to perform at this level, whilst the concern in respect of both Willis and Foulkes is that they can’t even command regular first team selection for the lower-level clubs they are loaned to. None of this augurs well for the short, or medium-term prospects of them making an impact for us. Are none of these players good enough for us now, or ever? Have we got to write them off, dispose of them and wait for a new batch to filter through? Are they so cheap that we can afford to have them making up the numbers? I can’t see where we are going.

The current squad is a mess as has been said many times and I don’t know where the responsibility really lies. DoF, Head Coach, or both?

The carefully vetted “right character” signings are now having their mindset questioned!!

I would like our “clear identity” which is spoken of to be clearly explained to me because I don’t really know what it is or means. If it relates to a style of play whereby from a goal kick the keeper passes short to a technically limited central defender who then passes it around between other defenders and probably to the keeper again, who then try to pass it to technically limited midfield players facing them who generally aren’t comfortable/confident enough to pass in a direction other than back (Earing excepted) and so on it goes eventually forward in an uncontrolled way and momentum breaks down. Surely the coaching/awareness training should extend to those deeper lying midfielders to be coached to be able to receive the ball from a defender having assessed already what space they have got and to be able to control the ball and turn in a timely manner to carry the ball forward. Too often the likes of Labadie and Kinsella simply lay the ball back to the defender irrespective of whether they have the time and space to turn and progress the play forward. They are arguably shirking responsibility and passing the ball (and buck) back to a theoretically less equipped defender for the sequence to start again. Of course, there are times when you have to play the way you are facing, but they do it too often unnecessarily and therefore restrict our ability to advance constructive play into the heart of the opposition.

I didn’t watch the Stevenage match but I hear that Wilkinson was played centrally behind Miller. Why would the Head Coach play him there, when it seems fairly obvious to me that wider right is his best position and to play him anywhere else is likely to be to the detriment of the team? Earing has to be the player centrally because he has the technical ability to go forward, right and left. He is one of very few players who possess two good feet, to such an extent that it’s not that easy to know which is his dominant foot. His ability to effectively move onto either foot should be cherished and utilised to its utmost, rather than the overall benefit to the team being compromised by playing him deeper.

In my opinion, it is difficult to understand why you would not deploy your better players where they are likely to be most effective as it contributes to our general inability to be effective.

There is so much on which to comment both on field and off field, that it’s difficult to know where to start and end. Perhaps I shouldn’t have started!

Not at all sure why I’ve written all this, other than because deep down I must still care, despite being fed up and losing interest on a daily basis and with the futility of it all.

15 Likes

Absolutely. The question is whether it’s those individual players, the system, the managers direction… or all of those things.

Our midfield has been absolutely abysmal for years and years now. That’s the engine room, and we don’t dominate games, especially at home.

Actually I thought it was Earings job to sit deep and be the play maker?

Easiest thing in the world to moan about “forward passes”, for me the option isn’t there enough and neither is the structure of attacking moves.

That moan has been misdirected at Kinsella for years and to be completely fair, I think it’s misdirected at Labadie too.

It’s a very fair assessment.

Do you think our midfield has been good enough in the last 5 years ?

I don’t think that I specifically mentioned “forward passes” as you highlighted. My observation was about awareness, ball control and the presence of mind to turn with the ball safely after receiving it from a defender and carrying the ball forward. I completely agree with you that the structure of attacking moves is an issue and there isn’t always an option and the ball might well have to be played back.

My comments about Kinsella and Labadie were made with the Newport performance freshest in my mind. Kinsella first half and Labadie in the second, passed back as a first instinct more often than not which was both from necessity sometimes and from simply not looking and turning with the ball when they could have at other times.

When Earing comes deep to collect the ball, I get the feeling that he is more aware of his options and usually turns with the ball when appropriate to do so as a first instinct.

All three players share the same problem though with what do with the ball once they go forward as you have quite rightly mentioned.

1 Like

I mean you mentioned having the time and space to “play forward” and choosing not and passing (back) to defenders instead so I don’t think I’m particularly misrepresenting you by talking about forward passes to be honest.

Well I think if you’re talking about Newport, you didn’t watch Kinsella closely second half. He set up our first chance of the half with a chipped ball over the top for Miller, continuously spread out to the wings and even took the ball on himself a couple of times. Possibly because Labadie was sitting deeper and doing the other side.

I haven’t seen Earing effect a game at all for some time from that deep position. It gets patently obvious every week he’s a 10 being asked to play in an unfamiliar position. All his good play these days seems to come from the final third, not picking it up deep. In fact, the last time he tried it that springs to mind, he tried to flick the ball over a players head (instead of making the sensible pass back to the centre half) and we conceded from it.

Well I don’t think any area of the team has been for five years but I quite liked Dobson/Edwards. As for more recently, I’ve been pretty vocal about the midfield and how I think Kinsella isn’t the issue but the dearth of creativity next to him. To be fair I thought Earing was the answer to that, but to be honest I think it’s pretty obvious that’s not his position.

And same with Kins eh :wink:

Joking aside, it’s the combination of both the responsiveness of the fullbacks, the ability of the centre halves to shift it quick, the wide players showing, the midfielders ability to create/stamp authority on the game, the no.10 to make space etc etc etc

We do not function as a unit, and they central cog (the midfield) does not work at present - and hasn’t for a while.

I fear Matt is trying to play a certain way with these players, and frankly, they’re not good enough to.

Not to do it to play off standard no.

You make a good point about the full backs. It’s not as often as you’d think your midfielder picks up the ball and can just spray it to the wingers. Ward and White have both been atrocious this season when receiving the ball out wide in their own half.

I don’t mind the centre halves, in fact Menayese is one of the best footballing centre halves I’ve seen us have, certainly at this level. I found out the other day he actually played midfield as a junior before dropping back to centre half as a pro and it doesn’t surprise me at all. Monthe and Taylor aren’t but hey, it’s league two. Their not going to spray it round like Sergio Ramos.

But so many times White and Ward pick the ball up and are so hesitant. White has the odd run in him but usually only when we are chasing the game. And bar pot shots and deep crosses (that never seem to come off) Ward never seems to do anything. And that’s only when they receive the ball past the half way line. In their own half they very rarely do anything other than lay it back to a centre half.

It is pointless me responding to you when you rely on manipulating words to impose what you think I mean. Never mentioned forward passes. If I fail to satisfy your threshold for clarification that is down to my lack of articulation rather than me meaning something else.

I didn’t mention about Kinsella in the second half and yes, I did mention about Labadie second half.

I agree that Earing made an error that ultimately resulted in conceding a goal.

1 Like

Yeah, the whole thing is dysfunctional. Our full backs are either very flat, or too deep (or both). No positive outlook, allowing the team to get up the pitch quicker.

Contrast MT’s 4231 with Smith’s 4231. Two of our most important players were Demetriou and Henry - who provided such a good outlet, stretched the pitch, and allowed us to be so much more dynamic. Obviously, we won’t get those standard players in L2; but the point is more about the tactics and players who can and will push on.

4 Likes

That’s a big part of the problem. The full backs never seem to be doing the right thing.

I think White is decent going forward but hes atrocious at any form of recovery play. Ward has a decent left foot but he’s trying to play like he’s 26 not 36. Baffles me such an experienced pro has no nouse or intelligence to know when to just drop back so he isnt always exposed for pace.

2 Likes