Walsall Football Club - So Many Issues

Part of the problem is us. We only roll this argument out when we lose. We dont care when we win, so the arguments (most of which are spot on) fall in deaf ears becuase its played off as reactionary.

Our club is basically still the same as when bonzo left… actually, that team was miles better then this one. Nothing at all has changed, apart from the videos. Its dying. But we need to talk about this win/ lose/ draw.

13 Likes

Erm, you might not. I’ve been critical of this rebuild win lose or draw since about mid July.

1 Like

Your a lone voice in the wilderness then. The moses of Walsall FC

3 Likes

Fair. I guess it just takes others a while to catch up :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ive got the Molotovs ready !!

1 Like

Wait for us in the sea mate, we’ll catch ya up one day. :ocean::ocean:

2 Likes

We’d have been been having this chat last week if not for Wilkinson’s excellent last-ditch equaliser.

I’m getting more and more disillusioned with Pomlett. Thought he’d make a difference, and was willing to give him a chance, especially with Covid messing up everyone.

Seems like a case of ‘here comes the new boss, same as the old boss’, which I suppose they’ve been saying over the tannoy for years so it shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

9 Likes

Spot on, and this will always be the clubs first line of defence.

Pomlett with all his good intent isn’t the man for us sorry he just isn’t wealthy enough for professional football to make a difference

1 Like

Is it even good intent though?

Or is it just a case of him carrying on the Bonser gravy train, with some slightly better PR?

5 Likes

Just listen when I originally say all this shit, would save some a lot of time.

Wheres the fun in that. Its a battle of hearts and minds

Hate bonsor all you like he never accepted is being a league 2 team. It just wasn’t profitable enough. I wonder if we were still under bonsor where we’d be in the league…

Probably bottom. A structural decline years in the making isn’t changed by making the architect boss again.

8 Likes

Yes, we would. We were lucky to come away with a draw: it looked like Newport could score at will - we were wide open in defence, as we were today. Our left-hand side is wide open - 5 of the last 6 goals we have conceded have come down that channel. It’s amazing how many teams in this division just look better organised than we do - surely that is a basic requirement in setting up a football team, especially with players of limited quality. We are a long way off being a top 7 team in League 2, let alone being an established League 1 outfit. I’m not sure where this club is going: where’s the plan?

1 Like

I think we’d be around the same place.
The club has never really been profitable…. just needed the rent paying, and that still happens with the Bonser Bros having none of the hassle and flak of running the club.

3 Likes

You are using my post and using quotes from there completely out of context. My post was in response towards all criticism levied towards Leigh Pomlett. I was not protecting the Board or any member on there, so please do not suggest or imply that I was!!!. I even pointed out that LP was not perfect, therefore implying that yes he has indeed made mistakes.

If you really think that comments that are posted on a fans forum is one of the reasons that in your view changes cannot be made within the football club, then you really ought to get out more. As with any fans forum, and particularly a lot of what goes on between 3.00 and 4.50pm on a Saturday matchday is said.within the heat of the moment, and also with some tongue in cheek humour. May be humour is not somehing that you come across in your normal life?

I am sure for many what actually happens on a matchday is one of the main means of judging our progress. That runs in tandem with our league position. I would not say that we are going backwards. We are moving forwards but admittedly so far this season it is at a very slow pace. At the moment my view is that we have come to a stop and need to use this transfer window to start moving forward again. We all know the areas that need strengthening.

I agree that what happens off the pitch is also important. But what happens off the pitch does not preclude that you will be successful on it. We have seen many other sides have successful seasons with lesser investment and smaller fan bases and still be successful. Similarly throwing money at it does not guarantee success.

As I have said before, Pomlett is always willing to talk to fans. We all know that LP has set a plan and timescale to get us back into League One when he took over, which excuse me if I am wrong I believe that was 5 years? This was extended by a couple of years due to covid. He has also said, when asked, that he has set MT 2 years to get us promoted. So for me those are the tools to measure by. The question comes if after 2 years we haven’t achieved promotion does he change our head coach? Based on his answer I would assume that is a serious option he would consider?

Any comment that I have made about MT today, as a fan l, I am allowed to voice. I am concerned about some of his decisions and choices. Playing White today as a CB, and also continuing with Osadabe for so long when it clearly wasn’t working. So from what you are implying I am not allowed to voice a view or opinion? Just because I question some of MT’s decisions does not mean I do not support him or want him to succeed!

I have said earlier today, and I agree with you about the signings this season. But over the summer how many amongst us thought that some of our contracted signings would be as ineffective as they have turned out to be? I admittedly didn’t. Also the recruitment seemed ill-thought, and as we all know that important area upfront was not concluded satisfactorily. Is that JF’s fault or MT’s? I for one do not know or understand how transfer targets are identified, and who has the final say?

I have checked my earlier match thread posts today and I cannot see anything on there that can be deemed be knocking everyone at the Club. Yes I questioned MT, but as a fan I believe we all have the right to do that. I for one do not believe that the 4231 system works well with players we have, and as I said in my other post our lack of variation must make us very easy to play against. For the record I have never called for MT to be sacked, and I do not wish to see him relieved of his role. I just wished that we would consider changing our formation from time to time to at least make us a bit less predictable. And as for his post match comments they are becoming a bit like ‘ground hog day,’ but I am sure that with more experience he will learn from this.

And finally, I never have or would criticise the Tea Lady!!! Mary is a lovely woman who makes a cracking cup of tea and has a wonderful selection of biscuits!!!

1 Like

More money would help but as has been pointed out before it’s not the answer to everything. There’s plenty of basics that can be sorted without costing too much. Just needs the intent and some organisation. It’s why Gamble and Mole get so much flak. They’re supposed to be responsible for these things yet nothing has changed. It’s the same old shit year on year. I was prepared to cut them some slack now Bonser has gone but they’re still the same. Pomlett needs to wield the axe.

4 Likes

I am trying to forge a positive in my mind…

Maybe these two performances will prompt a re-think of ‘maybe one, maybe two coming’ and accelerate getting some of these players put, and 3/4/5 in.

This is not a reaction to todays game, myself and others have been saying for months and months that we are nowhere near good enough.

To get anywhere near the play offs - we need (at least)

A centre half
A left back
A no.8 box to box style midfielder
A no. 10 or a wide forward
TWO experienced centre forwards

Minimum. This, of course, won’t happen.

I hope it rings some alarm bells in Fullarton and Pommers heads, because as it stands - zero chance I (and I imagine many others) will not renew our season tickets. Not a cat in hells chance.

Missed out on Chris Hussey going to Vale excellent left back at this level would have been brilliant for us.Devante Rodney could do a good job as a wide forward does not fit in Vales current system I’d take Melbourne or Jules back here for a left back strikers not sure who would be available but no more kids on loan