Walsall manager Darrell Clarke aims for promotion push next season

That’ll get 5K through the door for the rest of the season. Basically admitting we are writing this one off.

2 Likes

Well done him for admitting it, I say.

Perhaps you should start with a clearout of all the rubbish you’ve signed.
Then you can play some boys who might do something.

3 Likes

Putting a bit of pressure on himself, especially with the ‘likely’ smaller budget from lack of season ticket sales. Good luck DC.

Glad Clarke has come out said what he has said to be honest . At least it gives abit of clarity on the situation as we all knew any faint hopes for this season went out the window in the last 3 defeats. Whilst disappointed with the season I just hope he gives more game time now to those who will definitely be here next season . Whilst those who definitely will not take a back seat giving our youngsters a chance once we get to 42 points.

4 Likes

An inflated January window is nothing new. Kind of suggests a bit of naivety from both LP and DC.

1 Like

Hope I’m wrong but I think some of us are going to feel a bit lonely at the Banks’s for the rest of this season.

Glad he’s come out and said it, even if it does put pressure on himself. Do I really think we’ll be battling for promotion next season? Not at all, I think we’ll be around the same position as now. League Two will be stronger next season but it does need to be our aim before we end up becoming a stagnating middle of the road League Two side.
Good luck, he’s going to need it.

3 Likes

good luck Darrell. You will be held accountable for statements like that.

“Massive promotion team”

That reminds me of when I drove through Exeter to get to my office.
I used to pass a pub that had a large sign above the door. It read

Free Beer Tomorrow

2 Likes

Not many managers get this grace period they are usually sacked regardless of the cost of paying them off he’s a lucky lucky boy in my opinion let’s hope he repays Leigh’s patience and next year we are up there gonna be difficult with Bolton coming down Salford’s mighty wages and other teams being more savvy than we are at this level what exactly are we going to attract in the summer as regards players?

3 Likes

His last statement (last week) was “I won’t let Walsall’s season just peter out”…looks like it turns out he will…:worried:

Go on Darrell, promise us the earth next season. Firstly you need to clear out the deadwood (mainly the dross you brought in) and give the kids a chance (you know, the ones that were already here and you DIDN’T bring in).

I love how some are praising him for basically admitting he’s bollocksed up this season and are happy to let him loose next season.

7 Likes

Any ideas who’s contracts are up at the end of season

Hes hung his self out too dry right there,

Now anything less than promotion push will be deemed as instant failure

4 Likes

There’s no pleasure whatsoever to be got from his ridiculous statement , another false promise , just as his. Guarantee that the croc of ■■■■ he assembled this year where going to challenge for a top seven spot this season ( thst was before he realised he’d signed shelf stackers )
He must have recently acquired another badge. One which makes him an expert in bullshit , because that’s all I’m hearing
Let’s see how the early birds go because crowds next year will be at an all time low, and the only challenge he will have is one of competing with other out of work managers. In applying for vacant posts

4 Likes

5 year plan or a re build or nothing…Hes done his self over there…instant over hpye means instant down fall…Saw it too many times…By god i hope DC proves us wrong…but so far…nope cant see it…And its gunna be down too LP too make those prices so cheap its basically forces people in so too speak other wise them crowds are gunna be so low and so quiet you could hear the cracking of teeth of the rock hard burgers!

2 Likes

I think its a 4 year plan now. Trouble is the first bit was to get average gates of 5k, so that’s now not going to happen, and the only way it will happen next season is if we go out and sign a bit of quality in the summer, start playing some decent entertaining football, and are winning more than one home game in four.

1 Like

Hopefully his or sooner!!

Not a chance if transfer deals in summer same standard as this season with 2 relegation places more like a relegation fight. ( obviously I hope I am completely wrong and he comes good just can’t see it )

2 Likes

He must surely know that this comment will be remembered, and within that, reads to me like an admission that he has next year to get promotion or he’s out.

1 Like