Walsall sign FGR striker Matty Stevens

Ah right, guess that’s why DJT wasn’t involved tonight then if it’s 5 max still in the 18 matchday squad.

Think for some games Flynn will go without a sub keeper like was happening before xmas.

We could’ve paid the fee, no excuses.

We don’t know what they were asking. Flynn said " No one will pay what they are asking" turned out he was right.

9 Likes

Would agree with that and hope stevens is a big hit and he can get his sharpness back sharpish .
I’m probably just disappointed as I thought DJ would sign :confused:

I feel the same mate, really am gutted. We had built a bond with him as fans, and it seems he also loved it. Great shame it is.

3 Likes

Stevens scored more goals in a single league season last year than Johnson has managed in 5 extra years. So has Matt in the past. Nobody is arguing quantity for the sake of it is good, so don’t represent it as that :+1:t3:

3 Likes

No I do, I just pointed out the facts you were presenting to argue your case were completely false (again) :man_shrugging:

On a positive, Matt and Stevens should have a great understanding on how eachother plays from the word go.

2 Likes

The comment from Flynn “if we can get him up and firing straight away then he’s going to be a big signing for us” is a worry. Clearly it’s a gamble, but it could pay off big time if he and Matt can strike the same partnership as 12 months ago.

Another cause for concern is that they thrived off high possession football at FGR with quality from the wings. Something that certainly can’t be said of our team at the moment.

All in all though, as a Plan B this is about as good as we could have asked for. Let’s hope it clicks. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Coming back from injury or not the guy scored 23 goals last season.

It’s a good signing it seems rather odd business from FGR but I’m not complaining!

1 Like

At times the club can do no right in some supporters eyes. Truly baffling.

Yes he is coming back from an awful injury, but who should we have signed instead, Shaibu or Yaw mkII? Every transfer made is a risk, but look at the ambition we have shown in this window and compare it to January transfer windows of old. There is no comparison.

Welcome Matty!

22 Likes

Bennett - possibly the best wing back in this Division & Johnson - Statistics are top notch
These are massive blows. I’d argue it weakens us mid season more so than when we lost Dann and Fox.

As for the incomings

Stevens and Matt, include Wilko could take weeks (months) to get to Johnson’s level of sharpness. No guarantee all 3 are gambles but maybe we need only one to start firing

Low, I’m not sold on him yet. Played like a cart horse last night. Too many rough edges to knock off and we ain’t got time to be polishing other peoples players.

Wilmott, I said elsewhere looks like a shirt filler. Bit like Clarke or Abraham.

Songoo looks ok at gives us something a bit different.

Transfer windows are about boosting or maintaining your momentum. We looked disjointed last night. Lacked a RWB able to carry the fight and a sharp forward.

Stands a good chance this little flurry in the window costs us momentum

2 Likes

I can’t believe some of the posts here… We’ve replaced DJ who is widely regarded as our only source of goals, with last year’s title winning, prolific, strike partnership, as in 2 strikers, with 40+ goals last year and we’re moaning about fitness!? This might be the greatest forward double signing we’ve ever made in January, in a season of supposed transition, not a playoff push.

Phenomenal backing by Trivela, I’m genuinely annoyed at the attitude of some of our fans sometimes.

Every signing is a gamble, for any team, but Christ almighty we couldn’t have dreamt for a much better outcome than this surely?

26 Likes

Stands a good chance doing jack shit would have cost us more. We had no control over Bennett, either. And there’s no comparison with losing a loan to the owner junking the club by selling Dann and Fox, one one at the absolute last minute of the transfer window (prompting the Dann Fox Off headline at the time). That killed the support for the club by a large amount. This hasn’t.

Is this, or is this not, the best-looking January window for years?

19 Likes

Exactly. Its mental.

1 Like

May as well put the stadium expansion on hold given the disappointment on here after the January transfer window exploits! :smiley:

4 Likes

Jesus Christ, you lose one game and it’s panic stations :joy:

Agreed about Bennett but what can we do? He was never our player and playing below his level. We’ve brought in a “shirt filler” (whatever the f*** that means) because we need a player in that position :man_shrugging:

Low might have looked a cart horse, but he didn’t look that against Premier League opposition on Saturday.

Throwing Matt in with Stevens and Wilkinson doesn’t work, not had an injury :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Incomings on paper without a doubt

In the words of a famous game show host

It’s good but it’s not right !