Watch Out - There's A Clamper About!

I’m saying nothing else as they would probably close it down next.

1 Like

It’ll keep the pikeys off it, I suppose.

Just off the top of my head so there’s probably a gaping hole in the idea, but aren’t the retail park owners missing a trick by not offering matchday parking? Tickets on the dashboard valid for the duration of the match? Must be better than it sitting empty, which it always is when I go there.

Edit: I’ve even known schools and such offer their car parks on some away trips. Unless there’s a mad rush for Farmfoods every other Saturday between 3-5 that I’m blissfully unaware of.

1 Like

We used to park on the Retail Park a few years back. I get the train now.

For anyone thinking of parking on there who hasn’t before, it can take you a very long time to get away after the game.

We used to take the kids in McDonalds and let the traffic clear.
Choose your parking spot carefully for the quickest possible getaway.

Can’t you still park where you did when visiting Fellows park? was it Dickinson avenue and Wallows lane? it is only a short walk from there

I’d normally be smug and say I catch the train so don’t need to worry about parking but the trains are on strike for the Pools gsme so that’s peed on my bonfire :wink:

2 Likes

Get yourself down the railway and leave your car on there whilst you walk down to watch the game them walk back simples!.

3 Likes

They are running a shuttle bus from there to the ground again this season even better :+1::+1:

2 Likes

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2022/07/15/residents-urged-not-to-clamp-walsall-fc-fans-cars-in-row-over-matchday-parking/

A few years ago my daughter used to park on the retail until some young kids smashed her lock and took the radio/CD player out. Police said it was happening every game at the time.
Why the police wern’t there waiting for them if it was as they said I don’t know!

The problem we have with cars is that the ground is situated on a single road from which all traffic access flows. So whether you park on the official car parks, the retail park, the station, or on the hill where the away coaches used to park then your access and exit are onto the same road which is traffic lights at both ends (at The Delves and opposite Broadway playing fields).

Which is why the option where this chap lives is a good one. You can park quite close to the ground and escape straight onto the broadway afterwards.

There was a time when the police used to manually operate the traffic lights after the match to speed up everybody’s exit as well as get the away fans onto the M6 smartish too. Don’t know why that stopped.

4 Likes

@RedandWhite told me about the bus mate when I met up with him down there last season.I like it in there beers good atmosphere is good what more does a bloke want?:grin:

1 Like

I used to remember as a lad getting the special bus from the Beechdale to and from the ground, im guessing it became a loss making service and was cut.

Have a feeling more fans might think, Oh hadn’t thought of parking there, might give it a try.

1 Like

As already said, park on railway and walk to and from the ground, save a fiver and easy to get out.

They ran one from Chase Terrace for a couple of seasons and then of course there was the football special - the 127 - from Bradford Place, and back after the match with buses lined up in Hillary Street. They were always packed.

When me and my mates started going to games in 1986 we used to get the football special from Sankey’s Corner and back. It was ideal for us as 16 year olds that obviously couldn’t drive there. The ease of getting there was probably a big reason for us continuing to attend games.

5 Likes

Nothing to do with Nicky Cross, David Kelly and Trevor Christie then? :smiley:

3 Likes

Used to catch the match day special bus from the cenotaph in town when I was a kid of about 11, was great as it all added to the atmosphere and excitement of going to the game

2 Likes

They did help yeah :wink: Trouble is, we thought it was always that good :rofl: