Wayne Evans RIP

We are devastated to hear this
Afternoon that Wayne Evans has passed away at the ridiculously young age of 51 having suffered a heart attack.
Our hearts and prayers go out to his friends and family at this desperately sad time.
Fly high fellow Saddler.

Copied from the trust’s Facebook. Shocking news. RIP

18 Likes

RIP Evans

1 Like

Wonderful player, R. I. P

2 Likes

RIP Evo, such sad news. Such a solid player for us who gave 100% every time he played. A fantastic servant to both ourselves and Rochdale. My thoughts are with his family

3 Likes

Puts all the things into perspective. 51! I’m 6 years older and that is no age whatsoever.
Deepest of love and sympathy to his family and loved ones.
Sad day indeed. RIP Wayne, god bless x

2 Likes

Sad sad news RIP Evo

1 Like

Mr reliable great fullback for us. R I P

1 Like

Remember Wayne so well from the early Bescot days. He was a super player for Walsall & as mentioned in the post above, Mr. Reliable.
Shocking that he’s passed away. Born the same year as me, which puts things into perspective.
R.I.P Wayne & sincere condolences to his family.

3 Likes

RIP Wayne

2 Likes

RIP Wayne, a dedicated servant of the Saddlers taken too young.

1 Like

Cant belive the news RIP Wayne what a great player

1 Like

That’s taken me aback.

Two reasons. One is that we’re more or less the same age and that mortality reminder is always worth listening to.

Second is that he seemed a really nice bloke. Unassuming, head down and on with the job. Seven out of ten nearly every week. Some weeks you’d barely notice him because some weeks it wasn’t about him being noticed rather it was about his winger not being noticed. It seemed to happen most weeks. And he seemed absolutely at ease with that. That’s not to under play his ability and indeed his bravery. Can recall a few occasions when he knew he was about to get clattered but still played the ball and took the clattering.

RIP Evo. And thank you.

14 Likes

Well liked by his team mates and all he met. Wayne was a super fit guy, very health conscious. 51 years of age! :man_shrugging:

RIP Evo.

1 Like

Really tragic news - consistently consistent, making step up from Welshpool in League of Wales and never letting us down.

Robbed of a Wales call up by Bobby Gould preferring a Barry Town full back.

Rest in peace Evo.

3 Likes

He played for us for 6 years. Always looked a bit old-fashioned and was old-fashioned in his consistency and quiet effectiveness. Thank you for the years Wayne.

3 Likes

One of my favourite ever players.

Too young

3 Likes

A mainstay of my formative years following Walsall. Wonderful full-back, when they were expected to defend and defend well. Remember watching his only Walsall goal (Gillingham?) from the Family Stand, and I remember him in with the fans at Bury. Sad news.

4 Likes

Great player for us, such sad news :cry:

1 Like

Our thoughts are to Wayne and his family. A tragic loss for someone still so young. Will always be part of the Sadlers family.

2 Likes

What can anyone say to console his family and closest of friends, there are no words,

other than to say he was loved by all Walsall fans that watched him play for us. RIP

2 Likes