We have to sign Miller …

Or perhaps we could send a begging letter signed by all his devoted admirers to our No 1 fan in Cyprus, there again I suppose a letter with only signatures from Pomlett, Whalley, Gamble and Mole may be used for bog paper instead, there again it could block up his Cypriot drainage and he would have to walk through his piss , mmmmm

1 Like

Can see a Fox Dann type reaction amongst the support at some point. Shame as this isnt a Fox Dann scenario. Brace.

I’m trying to think of the last time the fanbase was seriously peed off at losing a loan player. Would it be Kevin Harper, or am I forgetting some others? I know there was huge disappointment when George Evans went, but we were never going to be able to sign him, so it was one of those things. But Kevin Harper going to Pompey when he’d been MOTM at Maine Road a week or two earlier, that was a kick in the teeth. I think missing out on Windy Miller might also feel a bit crappy, if it happens.

1 Like

As I remember the news about Harper signing for Pompey was it? only broke when our team was announced for the game. Can’t remember who we were playing but we were at home. A chorus of “if you all think Bonser’s a w*****” broke out. Sir Ray was desperate for some quality and he appeared to have found some in Harper. We couldn’t afford the 100k they wanted apparently

I think there was a few pissed off when Joachim signed for Boston.

3 Likes

I think you’re right about the timing, a mate told me outside the ground when I bumped into him, I think he’d just heard the team on his car radio and an explanation of why Harper wasn’t playing.
I think, but am not sure, it was Grimsby at Home, and I also think, but again am not sure, that we won 1-0, which stopped it from kicking off. Whatever game it was the atmosphere was hostile, not against the team or Ray, but against Boner.

1 Like

People thinking Miller may leave in Jan, how do you know there is not a ‘Cannot be recalled clause’ in the deal?

Knowing how shrewd our board are im sure there isn’t :rofl:

1 Like

In recent times I think James Wilson going mid season was a disappointment. He’d come in at the back and IIRC carved out a decent CB combination with Guthrie. When you think of all the poor CB loans and signings that followed that was a missed opportunity to have an experienced partnership at the back while some young defenders were signed and slowly developed.

Currently at Plymouth so shows he’s good enough at league one level.

That’s the thing for me. If a club in January higher up comes in for Rushworth or Miller then you have to accept that.

What’a more acceptable is then just replacing them with loans of players massively inexperienced as happened in both windows last season. Replacing Adebayo with Osei Yaw and we all saw what happened to the form.

Pomlett will certainly be getting loads of stick if he pulls that trick again especially if team are 5-7 points off top 7 in January which is possible.

1 Like

Two of the statements that stick in my mind from Pomlett when he first took over were…

" I want league one" and " I want 5000" He may of worded it differently but those were his opening statements.

He elaborated to say 5000 would make a massive difference. Well we aren’t all that far away from that now and that is with a team that is still dragging itself away from the bottom of the table, all be it there has been some improvement. If we were to push on then the 5000 would be there. There is a lot of negative things said about Walsall fans on here and other social media outlets, but honestly I think our support has been superb considering all that has gone before over recent times, including what you mentioned about selling key players and replacing them with young loans.

So all said and done I believe we have done our part, and probably a bit more considering the help the club had off fans during the pandemic. Wall plaques and names on shirts are all very nice, but what would be more appreciated is a sign of intent he was serious about getting out of this league and getting league one football. Wouldn’t it be nice to think we could actually get to January and look to strengthen rather than worry about losing players? As you say our hands may be tied regarding Miller and Rushworth but it’s how we deal with it that matters.

I will be less than pleased if we do lose players and replace them in the manner we did last season. I’m not going to say I will stop going because I am really enjoying taking my Son who now wants to go every game. It will just be another big kick in the balls and confirmation that nothing has really changed at all.

4 Likes

To be fair I was watching Miller yesterday and thinking about what some fans have been saying about Loan deals.

Say he was our player, would anybody here be confident in the club not to sell him in Jan ala Jules and Adebayo? I wouldn’t.

At least this way he’s already at a bigger club. Hopefully they see him as one for the future, don’t listen to offers and let him carry on getting game time here.

As for signing him in Jan, absolutely no chance.

Would be nice but realistically can not see it happening, especially when other clubs will be keeping a close eye.

When is his contract up at Barnsley?

I made those points. Believe me, I wasn’t moaning, just underlining the probable reasons why he ends up as a last minute loan signing of a bottom half fourth division club at the age of 23. Also underscoring that he should be affordable for lower league clubs.

1 Like

His agent sorted him this deal out which looks like it didn’t work so hopefully the lad will have a say in what he wants and he loves us lot.

1 Like

From above

1 Like

Oh dear, that means they will want actual, proper money for him. Might that cause us a problem, do you think? :joy:
Let’s just enjoy him while we can.

Can someone please remind me how much we managed to rustle up for Andreas Makris again … :thinking:

1 Like

We have the money in my view thanks to the Henry transfer. Whether it is enough depends on others who may want him. I want the Club to make it clear they are pursuing this with the intention of getting him permanently but ,of course, it is not entirely in their hands.

I’m still at a loss as to why we ever signed him and the quick return to Cyprus.

1 Like

Only uncle Jeff knows the answer to that one :shushing_face: :wink:

2 Likes

That deal stunk to high heaven , our record signing that nobody had ever heard of let alone seen play .