Wes McDonald

Correct, unfortunately it requires said player to relinquish the ball by passing once in a while to those who should be free.

As with Kinsella last season, anyone with a modicum of the attribute we are missing will stand out like a sore thumb. Our lack of creativity and forward play means that McDonald is the only real threat we have. Would he get into the starting line up of Crewe yesterday, doubtful. I hope we didn’t pay over the odds to secure his signing.

Thinking of Oztumer, and I don’t begrudge him the massive pay hike he’ll have had since leaving us, but 17 starts in over a season and a half and only 1 goal, what a waste.

2 Likes

He epitomises a confidence player to me that penalty miss showed that, he’s not been quite right since.

Wingers tend to be inconsistent, he’ll win us games and be anonymous in others, and occasionally he might stink.

Thinking back to 94-95 we had another match-winning but inconsistent winger in Scott Houghton. When he was poor we could hope that Kevin or Kyle would step up, or MOC could drive the team on, and Chris and Charlie were always capable of beating a player and creating something. At the moment there isn’t much quality in our team, so if Wes doesn’t fire, it is noticeable.

4 Likes

You get a lot of stick on here 90% of it deserved haha .but that statement was correct lol

He’s had a bit of a dip in form but I think we pin all our hopes on him because he’s the only player we have that gets the fans on there feet there’s others in the squad who I like but he’s the one who can change a game for us .

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be his feet are a few seconds behind his brain? :grinning:

1 Like

No lol he gets the ball and starts doing stepovers even though the defender is 20 yards and then his brain clicks in and tells him to step over closer to the defender

2 Likes

I’m afraid it’s all about fine margins!

Is it good enough? No. But we’re not going to cry about it. I’ll get that mind set right, make more bones about it. I’ve been a manager for a long time and get most of my decisions right.

And if I don’t, he will be out of this football club, no problem.

He’s a confidence player, he is usually being double marked and teams are analysing him as out danger man and paying him more attention pre game, he’s naturally going to be playing worse when they’re really isn’t anyone else who is a danger like him.

2 Likes

Said the same yesterday, Amazing what having a contract safely tucked in back pocket does to a player,

Also think. Lots of people think he is the be all and end all, Not knocking the lad in the slightest but. After seeing the woeful. Players plying there trade in this division, , he is just. That little bit better than most of the dross on show , which makes him stand out , Be interesting to see if others. Think he would cut it at a higher level , Obviously no manager did , As we was hardly fighting them off-to capture his signature, and think Clarke was. Trying to appease fans to mask. Just how low we have sunk,

1 Like

Hope he can keep up the levels he showed to earn his new contract

But obviously as a stand out player for us he is going to receive more attention from opposing teams .

When he struggles we are quick to jump on him because he really is one of only a few that we are depending so heavily on to produce something .

1 Like

Since i decided he was my fave player. Being serious he will come good again.

Other teams are aware that Wes is our biggest, if not our only threat. They also know that he’s our only real source of creativity. It’s no wonder that, after having a good couple of months, the opposition are choosing to double up on him, which nullifies his impact on games

This is where he needs to improve on his decision making and deciding if he wants to be a team player or play for himself.

Or badge man could try and counter their attempt to nullify by getting him some help or what about switching his wing once or twice in a game keep the opposing team guessing I thought with all his qualifications he’d have seen this but I’m just a fan I don’t “see these kinds of things“ when him and his back room staff are watching the match back on a Monday morning.

2 Likes

He’s a league 2 lower League 1 player at the moment for me nothing more but he’s still only 22 and could develop into something more with experience he’s one of those players who could go up or down in years to come depending on how he progresses .

2 Likes

Players at this level, and particularly those Wes-type of players, will blow hot and cold.
I can understand the frustration with him but I can also see that, as others have said, teams and managers have worked him out or doubled up on him to nullify his threat. That is understandable then that he loses his ‘x factor’ a bit, and it is down to him and the coaches and manager to work out how to make him more consistently effective.

But, what can’t be blamed on other teams working him out and doubling up etc is when he has a simple pass on that he can make which helps to keep us flowing and attacking, but he chooses to do one more stepover or try and run down a blind alley which results in losing the ball. That is his own in-game management and decision making which he controls, and hopefully gets better at!

It really doesn’t matter if he swaps sides occasionally the opposition will just move two or three players over to cover him there too , the master stroke here would be for the club to have more than one fucking threatening player in the team .

Then the opposition will run out of players if they have two or three marking five or six of our decent players we dont have yet… simples …:thinking:

7 Likes

Lifted directly from E&S article today:

Manager Darrell Clarke has previously said that the club are negotiating with several players over new deals and it has been ongoing for some time.

However, when asked if he has been in talks for a new contract, McDonald said: “No, I haven’t.”

I know there are widely different views on Wes, but this to me could suggest that the manager no longer wants him and will be on his way in the summer.

Until other players stepped up to the mark more recently he was arguably our only player who offered a threat to the opposition. He remains someone who I would rather have at the club than not.

Obviously one cannot always believe what one reads in the press, but why would he lie, or indeed the manager?

1 Like