Wes McDonald

Likewise I would much rather have Wes on board than not at this level.

Going to be a complete rebuild of forward line in the summer by looks of it.

Hope there’s some sort of plan as the regular 4 are top 7 quality in this league, the problem is getting them all on the pitch at same time this season which has happened less than 10 times with the Flash and Holden injuries.

Found that odd as well. Surely DC does rate him though, as much as he annoys me when he’s letting the world know he nutmegged someone on social media even when we’ve lost the game, he’s definitely a player we should be trying to keep. Who knows though, maybe his demands were too much and we’ve thought sod that, we’ll look at other options.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if his contract expires this summer?
It may be that he has another year to go or an option in the clubs favour.
No point spending money that we don’t have on a new contract if he still has a year on the old one.

I must have missed the bit where we started paying players wages years in advance.

Would assume it was 18 months when he signed last Jan.

Mixed feelings on Wes, he’s decent but has little end product over a season.

1 Like

It was indeed and 18 month deal he signed last January according to the story at the time on the OS.

It’s normal when a player signes a new contract before the old one expires that he gets a wage rise paid from the date of the new contract signing.

Firstly, no it isn’t.

Secondly, even if it was, then presumabley we’ve just spent “money we didn’t have” on securing Bates and Kinsella and you therefore don’t agree with this?

Thirdly, if you’re running a bottom division lower league club with no assets, restricted income, and a recent history of failure and mediocrity then surely one of your potential enablers of positive change is the securing of relatively cheaply aquired players that have shown potential on longer term contracts with the view to both retaining their services on the pitch and/or cashing in on their value…value being in the length of contract. Its a difficult balancing act, but not an impossible task, scrutiny of which shouldn’t be viewed through the lens of Walsall FC being beyond critique by its stakeholders and paying customers.

2 Likes

I’ve Heard Wes is contracted until next year hopefully its correct

1 Like

This was last January

1 Like

I thought he signed an 18 month deal in Jan 2020 and that was it unless it was extended in the summer so could be wrong. We need our lord saviour Darrell Clarke to bless us mere mortals with some contract information.

Another that expires June 30th

I’m not a massive fan. Great when he’s on it, but he’s way too inconsistent and predictable.
Not arsed one way or t’other.

3 Likes

Previous season good form pushed him, but now other defences know what he can do and cannot do. And still he can’t discover himself again on the pitch. Probably play better, when the end of contract is near. If not, you won’t notice him too often.

I think Wes is one of those who has suffered most this season with no crowds as when he gets the ball he gets you up off your seat and the crowd make some noise. Which must gee you up that extra bit in the role he plays .
Definitely worth keeping if possible in my opinion.

3 Likes

Apparently he’s been booked into the Chris Marsh Stepover rehab clinic,they are trying to gradually wean him off stepovers.

2 Likes

Wes is a good player for this level…Shows it most weeks when hes one of our only player pushing forward…

Who else we got too play that side? Gunna put Lavs out there?

Were league 2 boys not prem these are the players who we need too performe and help us push on

He’s awful.

1 Like