Whats the real problem?

We have gone from historically a 3rd tier team/club, to a bang average 4th tier club, and we are supposed to be happy with that.
What summed it up for me was when a happy clapper from the 1888 club stood up at the chairmans evening last Thursday and announced as a supporter he was more than happy with 4th division football (in old money) sums it up really.
Have we really sunk so low that basically avoiding the national league is the best we can hope for.
Like many of you I guess, I know a number of long standing season ticket holders that arenā€™t renewing, unfortunately alot will say, enough is enough.
Yeah there are ups and downs, but apart from the old match here and there, these past 4/5 seasons have been depressing

11 Likes

Bang on blazing Saddler!

NOPE!

One of the big problems with fansā€™ expectations is their general failure to align with reality. Our current reality is that we are here in mid table League 2. That we spent many years in League 1 is irrelevant now. We are at this level because of the players we attract. We attract these players because this is the level we are at. To break this cycle is the difficult task facing the clubā€™s owners and management with all the while the fansā€™ expectations hanging over them. I cannot see us easily getting out of the present position unless we can start again to bring through some home talent or local released players who can be improved, as Sawyerā€™s was for example. I have renewed my Season Ticket again but I am no more optimistic of promotion than the rest of us.

4 Likes

Why are we shit?

1. Bonser leached money out of the club for 20 years.
  2. Less money = poor salaries = poor players
  3. Pomlett, Gamble and Mole are failures at running a successful football clubā€¦but they seem to be untouchable
    4.Trivela donā€™t want to invest significant money into the playing budget
  4. All of the above create fan apathy
7 Likes

Iā€™ve seen it all now, fan expectations being too high :see_no_evil::smiley:

6 Likes

Those are possible reasons for us not solving the problem but they are not the problem in themselves. In fact, I do not believe that we have bad players. We have seen examples of players who have seemed awful for us going on to do well at other clubs and we have had good seasons under Bonser.

On the pitch, I would say, as others have:

1. A style of playing. At PL level, you have the players to switch systems but not in L2. Part of the problem last night was that some players were in unfamiliar roles. After the subs came on, it was even worse.
  2. A reasonable lack of injuries with all players having a decent pre-season. I know it sounds like an excuse but when have we had a season like this?
  3. A leader on the pitch in the midfield. We seem short of organisers there. That was what we all thought Labadie would do butā€¦
  4. To get out of the L2 mentality.

Success for Walsall has rarely come because we paid for it, the possible exception being Coakleyā€™s year. Buckleyā€™s squad would not be large enough to populate the bench these days and Smith continually had his budget reduced. Graydonā€™s first team was favourite for relegation.

Answer:
The senior leadership team of Walsall FC

Evidence:
Decades of decline & being uncompetitive with exactly the same leadership team that has presided over this consistent failure. Who have lead a culture of mediocrity & malaise that permeates through the club from the shop, the kiosks, the bars, right through the dressing room & board room.

Simples.

3 Likes

Iā€™d agree, I think we are extremely fortunate to still be a football league club. More signings like Williams, Clarke, Abraham, Gordon, James Taylor in the close season. Next year could be our year I think.

1 Like

Ā£100 says we do not go down next season.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll reserve judgement until 31 August. More signings of that quality in pre season id put money on that we do go down.

Sincerely hope we donā€™t.

Come back to me on September 1st if you believe it then. Ā£100.

2 Likes

Said it before Trivela have shown there intentions off the pitch and Iā€™m really pleased with what they have done there as we all are after years of paying rent to that arsehole.
Now can we please see something similar on the pitch next season we deserve it the support for me has been fantastic this season.

2 Likes

The support has been phenomenal all season and the best in a good while.

2 Likes

Your on. Definetely if we start the season with an Abraham, Douglas James Taylor and Williams equivalent. I beleive we would go down. There are no worse strikers than those in League 2.

1 Like

Can I have a ton with you as well mate?

I canā€™t speak for other supporters, but my expectations are:

1. Produce a team that can compete at the top end of League Two in the short term, with an aim to become competitive in League One.

2. Operate an Academy that can supplement our match day squad with home-grown talent, reducing the need for excessive squad churn each season.

3. Have an attacking, modern style of play that can be replicated throughout the academy sides right up to the first team. Again making it easier for youngsters to step up in to the seniors.

4. Make sure weā€™re an attractive proposition for Premier League/top end Championship clubs to send their young talent.

5. Capitalise on the talent available at local clubs, whether thatā€™s via loans or free transfers.

I really donā€™t think those are unreasonable or unrealistic aims.

19 Likes

Of course. What Iā€™m saying is that If we start the season with strikers of that standard we will go down. Iā€™ve never seen such a poor player for example as Douglas James Taylor. I didnā€™t even think it would be possible to be a professional footballer and be that crap

All these should be a given with what we have around us but we never capitalise.

1 Like

You are part of the problem with such lofty expectations, it puts to much pressure on the club, can I recommend you lower them to:

1. Get to 50 points by 31st March.
  2. Aim for 13th-16th in league table.

6 Likes