Who would you choose?

Yes, Taylor has been dealt a shit hand with the recruitment, but he’s still not getting the best he could out of them,. Not that the best would be great by any means but I’d have thought it should at least be nearer mid table that the bottom 2.

If Taylor does get sacked, we all know it will be a Dutton-style appointment and Sadler in charge until the end of the season and apart from a new face I’m not sure how that will improve things. He’ll still have the same unbalanced squad, 1 fit forward etc.

Damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

1 Like

That is what I would assume his job to be also. And he has failed miserably. Earing and at a push Meyanese have improved as footballers, the rest of the squad has regressed so he has failed as a coach. His matchday selections have been bizarre, he persisted with Taylor over Mayo for too long at the start of the season, persisted with Oss in the 10 role, picked Labadie over Kins far too many times and persisted with Labadie as skipper so fair to say he’s failed in his role as selector/tactician and do I really need to present an argument for him being a terrible motivator? I think not.

Edit: just had a look back and in MTs defence he didn’t persist with Taylor and Monthe for as long as I thought however I did forget to mention the shocking lack of game time for Khan whilst he was here so it’s still pretty shocking for MT on that front.

3 Likes

It matters little mate, you and I both know we are done.

Could sack all three of em, damage is done and I dont believe it’s salvageable.

1 Like

Fullerton surely has to go.We can’t trust him to be involved in the selection process for a new coach. Tbf you can’t trust anyone at the club to make the correct choice.

Problem is who’s gonna want to come here, which experienced manager could we really attract? Nobody. We need to do away with our useless inexperienced non league DoF to attract anyone. Nobody in their right mind who has League Two experience will want to work under him.

2 Likes

Sack the lot . Can’t see that happening though for financial reasons . Having to pay off the 3 year contracts of JF , MT and McDonald. So I would get Richard o kelly in until the end of the season in McDonald’s place to give MT some much needed guidance .

On paper the recruitment up until the end of June seemed very good on paper, but then it would seem the budget had then gone and the cheap options were used to ‘fill out’ the rest of the squad.

Fullarton and his ‘extensive’ list of contacts has got us in this position and he needs to go. We were warned by Notts County and Halifax fans.

Wonder what due dilligance checks Omellete did before employing him? Asked the CEO of the Jamie Fullarton Football Academy in Spain probably.

Fullergon

Bloke’s clearly useless

2 Likes

Can’t agree. I’ve largely agreed with him. As you acknowledge, Taylor didn’t last all that long as first choice, and I don’t think anyone was disappointed at that pairing starting the season. I agree on Kinsella, he should be playing every game, but outside of that I’m struggling to pick a part his selections too much. And on Khan, considering it doesn’t look like he was planning on sticking around on pennies a week, it’s probably a good job he didn’t integrate him into the side.

As for not improving players I’m not sure there’s much there to work with in the first place. Who knows, that’s a subjective one and without seeing training every day it’s impossible to say. Same with motivation. If you’re motivating shit players, their still shit.

That’s why this is more on Fullarton than Taylor in my view.

2 Likes

If I was Pomlett I’d get Fullerton to sack MT this morning.

Then I’d sack Fullerton. Whatever measure were put in place as targets to judge him by surely Fullerton has failed on all of them?

1 Like

And his failure, as a new and equally incompetent layer of board level ineptitude, has contributed directly to Taylor’s failure to perform.

6 Likes

I’d sack Full Of.

I’ve never really taken to Wilkinson. For all this profiling we supposedly do of players, he looks to me the polar opposite of the club man/ team player we are keen to recruit.

3 Likes

Think this will be my last ever comnent, as im getting so depressed at state of the club. Yesterday i was so angry watching on i follow, then it struck me it use to be fun. But now its so, cannot find the right words to express my hatred of the game.
Im not just blaming walsall fc but the FA in general as they focus only on the big clubs. Terrible referring that has both blind refs, and obvious bias refs. No many games to oi before season ticket runs out thank god. Really wonder of others will continue going or if fans will walkaway…

I can’t help but feel sorry for Matt Taylor. He’s been entirely hamstrung by a dreadfully assembled squad with 1 (one) striker, Monthe’s suspension, and the good signings on paper in the summer being bloody awful on grass (Ash Taylor, Joss “Yellow” Labadie, and Wilkinson who looks utterly miserable). Add that to the poor showing of our loanees (Shade, Phillips to a degree) and I don’t think there’s much Arsene Wenger could do with this lot.
Thank Christ for Rushworth (POTY, easiest award we’ll ever decide), Mr Walsall Kinsella, and Earring.

Not saying MT tactically hasn’t been perfect, but it’s his first job, that’s to be expected…the problem is that there’s no plan B, because there are no players to be able to do a plan B. He’s got to improve, yes, but the fault for this season’s absolute shambles has to lay at the bloke doing the recruitment for me.

2 Likes

Whatever anyone’s thoughts on recruitment, this bunch of players should be good enough to be mid table. They should be good enough to play with passion and enthusiasm. They should be good enough to look like they know what they are doing. The fact that they are none of those things can only lie with one person, and that’s Matt Taylor.

I’ll add a proviso onto that though - commitment, enthusiasm, hard work, passion, all of these are qualities which you see in a happy, inclusive club. We saw it under Dean Smith, who would talk to the tea lady the same as he would to the chairman. We saw what happened when O’Driscoll came in and the reverse was true. Now it could be that the atmosphere in the club is all wrong. I’m not one of those who is going to pile on to Fullarton. It’s far too early to judge him by outcomes. But even his boss says he’s a dour, hard working man who “doesn’t suffer fools gladly” and maybe, just maybe, that’s not the tone we’re needing in the club right now?
Oh for a Dean Smith, who, I believe, could really get the best out of people like Wilkinson, in particular.

1 Like

People keep saying this, with absolutely no reasoning whatsoever.

7 Likes

Understood.

However I think whoever gets gig for rest of season will be desperate to get him back onside as I’d say he’s the best bet of keeping this team up (given the only point team have gained in 2022 so far is due to 95th min wonder strike from him).

What else is there, Rodney crocked for weeks seemingly, Miller has morphed into hybrid of Ashley Grimes/Hewitt/Jarvis since September and can’t understand why Shade hasn’t been sent back. And Holden hasn’t played for nearly a year now so final third options are desperate even for 4th tier.

Is it Fullerton Tone?

I’ve said as much on a previous thread but I can see the club taking the cheap option. Getting rid of Taylor, giving Fullarton the managers role. Pomlett will be happy that he’s saved a wage and the club structure will go back to what it was a year ago, with the manager doing everything.

JF appears to have his feet firmly under the table and will be hard to dislodge