Who would you rather play in goal

Agree Roberts needs taking out the team . But he doesn’t need ripping to shreds.

4 Likes

I remember us being 1-0 up Burnley in injury time one Tuesday night game, around 1995 I think, and as a late free kick was trickling towards Walker Walsall fans cheered thinking we had won, only for him to let it trickle through his legs. Was a far worse error than Roberts last night. I guess the fact Walker saved us so many points over a season gave him a bit of grace. Goalkeepers shouldn’t be judged on errors like that providing they aren’t happening often in my opinion. There have been a few question marks about Roberts in general though, and we have a seemingly good back up waiting for his chance.

3 Likes

We were sitting in the stand to the side. Perfect to see the ball slowing rolling into his open hands/arms then I could not believe it could go through him!!
Oh! to be a traveling Saddler!!

He wins us more points than he loses us on the whole - the stick he gets is harsh IMO. the “oh he can’t save a peno” shtick grates me particularly, and yes his distribution isn’t fantastic, but he makes some world class saves, playing in some less than world class teams.
Hope he doesn’t get scapegoated for this season, but feels eerily like he’s in line to be

1 Like

I’d agree with that to be fair, he looked like he’d won a competition 15 mins before the game, absolutely shambolic. Tried to find the stats for shots from that game but can’t, but it seemed that eery shot on target went in…we did have an 8k+ crowd that day though, remember when that was a thing!? The Rona notwithstanding we’d be lucky to get half that now

1 Like

I think the focus should be a bit less on the negativity currently surrounding Roberts, and a bit more positivity on Rose, who as other posters have said is our player and is well overdue a few starts.

I havn’t seen much of him, but was very impressed with his performance against Oxford, and against the backdrop of Roberts’ comedic error against Crawley (which he got away with) and the very soft concession of Brizzle’s first goal I thought it would have been fair for Rose to get the next couple of starts on the basis of having taken his opportunity well in the Oxford game…

4 Likes

You can also add the penalty Roberts gave away at Bradford to his mistake the other night that have led directly to goals and potentially points lost.

I know 26 is relatively young for a goalie but he’s not inexperienced having been pretty much first choice for 2+ years and played over 100 games for us now, and had that season on loan in the National league at Chester.

Seems a very similar type of goalie to Pickford in that he can make outstanding saves one minute then and have a rush of blood and make ridiculous decisions or mistakes so he either needs some serious coaching to focus on the absolute goalie basics - body behind the ball, concentration, when to come out, when not to come out etc or you have to think if he ain’t ‘getting it’ after 100 games why will he after 150, 200 etc ?

Clayton Ince

2 Likes

Indeed. We had Rose last season and he presumably did enough to convince Clarke he would be a good addition. No point in having a good back up keeper if he isn’t going to get a fair chance. May as well just have a kid as back up.

There’s not a goalkeeper in the football league who can’t make worldy saves. It’s the concentration, boring side that makes a really good goalie.

Each season I think the penny will drop for him but it doesn’t. Rose deserves a decent stint now.

Agreed all keepers pull off “worldie” saves now and then, and fans wouldn’t give stick if an " unstoppable " shot or header went in ! But it is the basics done well that fans appreciate ie collect crosses, dominate situations, vocal instructions, kicking ability, concentration, which when delivered gives the defenders enormous confidence which in turn creates a siege mentality, so in answer to this thread Rose needs a run in the side ! He could become a real " thorn " in Liam’s side and could really " bloom " oh no what have I started :flushed:

Hopefully any puns will be nipped in the bud early on.

1 Like

Perhaps this thread needs pruning?

You’ll all miss the puns when they’re gone… or is that just that funny tinted glasses phenomena of which the name just escapes me at the minute

Blooming hell, not flower puns now!!
Where did that stem from?

1 Like

Just waiting for Rose to get selected having a blinder and Darrel saying " he was the pick of the bunch "

Leaf it out don’t start this again …

Let’s hope he twigs in soon.

A Rose between two thorns.

I think Rose’s selection at Christmas is quality. He’s not as big as Etheridge but I’m hoping that he can be a miniature hero.

2 Likes