Who would you want to keep for next season?

Talking of Joe Edwards, I noticed he scored his 9th goal of the League One season on Saturday. Well pleased for him. I always felt Keates and certain fans didn’t show him enough patience when he came back, as if the injury was the end of his career. I don’t know to what extent Clarke tried to keep him but either way it’s shown he had a lot left in the tank.

2 Likes

He’s failed at championship level.

He’s more than proven at league one level as he showed in 16/17 and 17/18. He wasn’t even that bad at Peterborough was he, they just couldn’t give him a regular game so he moved here.

Suggests to me he’d be a pretty good pick up for any side serious about top 7 in league 2 next season.

It’s a bit like writing Edwards off here when he came back after the ACL. Wasn’t great when team got relegated and many weren’t bothered about him going. Went to Plymouth, helped get them up and scored 7 this season as they’ve finished mid table in league 1.

Getting in goalscoring midfielder like Ozzy also means less pressure to get in a prolific striker aswell.

3 Likes

Never has in his career never will in his career.

I would bet my life on him scoring 10 goals in this league.

2 Likes

I think he’s twice the player of Holden, but that is one of the areas we don’t need to strengthen so yeah, from a squad building perspective it doesn’t make sense.

Questioning his ability is nonsense though. He literally schooled us this year.

2 Likes

If we are talking about Oztumer here he would hammer this league week in week out absolutely nailed on.

6 Likes

Probably the most significant player we lost after relegation, would have made a huge difference over the past two years.

5 Likes

Not sure what happened at Brizzle, can’t blame it all on Barton as he’s played under other managers aswell like Tisdale.

Playing with Luke Leahy again wouldn’t help though! Finally got to play as LWB in league one and errrrr got relegated again. :joy:

3 Likes

I honestly think Holden will move on.

One year left on his deal and was Sunderland talk a few months back with Lee Johnson there now so can see that happening if they stay down.

Would leave just as much a void in final third if not more than Ade moving when you look at the win/loss ratio for when he was on the pitch so replacing him isn’t something you can just put an experimental free youth loan player in, had more than enough of that this season to dire effect.

1 Like

56 games 0 Goals, no thank you. Plus he probably be our highest paid player if we signed him. Just wouldn’t be worth the risk in my eyes.

I can see both sides of this argument I really can, those like el and shrops about ozzies proven ability but also peel’s assessment of current form of the last three years. Conclusively, although I’d personally love him back, peel is correct, it’d be a gamble for sure.

1 Like

and 30 in 86 before that for … erm … Walsall at a harder level than we are at now.

Anymore of a gamble than signing players like Gordon and Lavery, and Adebayo (First 12 months)

Totally understand his got pedigree but just don’t feel it’s worth the risk when we have Holden who could easily hit double figures given that he stays fit.

Yeah I agree.

To suggest Oztumer wouldn’t immediately become our best player and guarantee around 10 goals in this league is a scandalous view

1 Like

Not only the most significant player we lost after relegation but also let’s not forget where we were when he got that injury. Whitney was manager, we were doing ok in league one and Edwards was in such sparkling form that he was the key player in the side, even more so than oztumer at that point. If he hadn’t sustained the injury, we would have been nowhere near relegation and our subsequent history would have been different, albeit I take on board the view that our demise was coming because of lack of investment and strategy.

4 Likes

I doubt they would have cost an arm and leg though

Erhun oztumer couldn’t lace Gary liddles boots.

Seriously though, I’d be seriously upset if Dan scarr and his six pack were to get a new contract.

1 Like

Just had a thought actually, that makes him our top scorer over the past 5 years continuously … and Josh Gordon has played about 15 games more :man_facepalming:

4 Likes