Who would you want to keep for next season?

I don’t agree with getting rid of everyone in the squad, our previous manager used that method and look where it got us.
There are fans who dislike Scarr, yes, he’s made his share of mistakes, but referring to the free kick against Crawley, if Scarr had been in defense the chances are Roberts would have stayed on his line and let the defense deal with it and we would have won the game.
He’s a definite “retain” for me.

1 Like

With grimsby looking like relegation favourites I’d be tempted to do a swap deal Liam Roberts for James Mckeown. Decent keeper from what I’ve seen of him adds abit more experience also.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind Hanson either he’s better than anything we’ve got

1 Like

Hanson for lavery deal :ok_hand:

3 Likes

He started at Walsall too…

Shouldn’t we be on the phone to Villa, West Brom and Wolves enquiring about youngsters they intend to release?

I’m sure they could give some insight to those they think can make it in league football, but are just not ready for them. Part of their release strategy, aftercare if you like, should be to direct them to Walsall FC for a second chance. Our location should give us first referral on these kids.

1 Like

I’ve always been an advocate of establishing (strong) relationships with our local clubs. They have a wealth of talent at their disposal, one that should be utilized.
I’m glad we have (had) one the Bristol City as we got some decent players from them. I don’t know the status of that relationship after Dean Holden’s departure.

Walsall have never had the best players in the league, even when we have been promoted. When we do well, we do so on the back of team spirit and managers that have a clear vision of what they want. Dutton has inherited an unbalanced squad on a bad run. Until he can choose a few players, it isn’t really fair to judge him.

As to who to keep/let go, I think the defence is basically fine, though CCM may go if we do sign Melbourne. Kinsella and Bates are staying and, after such a long period out, no one (except possibly DC) will come in for Holden. Perry we keep. Who knows with Nolan - hard to see an argument for a player who never plays. Up front, Lavery and Gordon work hard but neither seems to be a goalscorer - possibly keep Gordon?

As to what we need, we need goals and a creative midfielder. You don’t have to have a prolific goalscorer to have a lot of goals but, if you don’t, you do need goals from across the team and none of our current midfielders seem to provide that. So, at least one good winger, one creative midfielder with character, and, if possible, a striker.

2 Likes

The thing is, we have always had one or two special players that have shone in a team of dross, and it has gotten us over the line sometimes, but this time they have been sold, leaving us with almost nothing in reserve.

3 Likes

I think we have all been paying mate … :wink: :joy:

1 Like

Gorra spoil it ay ya and correct it … :wink: :joy:

FTFY

1 Like

Sign Melbourne permanently, try and get Wright on season long loan. Keep: Kinsella, Bates, Perry, MacDonald, Norman, Holden, White, Rose, Saddler and (controversially) Osadebe, who I think could come good in settled side and in a position that suites him. Clarke, Gordon, Lavery, Scarr, Roberts and Sinclair should leave.

Difficult to comment on Nolan, Osei Yaw and the other loanee’s… Osei Yaw may come good with more game time? Nolan has been good in the few games he has played in. CCM hasn’t done enough but he is still young and sometimes young players take a step back before progressing again. Trouble is, with the financial hit we have taken because of Covid we can’t afford to be sentimental and carry anyone

In the main, we have drawn a lot of games and have been on the end of narrow defeats. The football has at best, been pedestrian and on too many occasions, dismal. TBF that is the case for the majority of the teams in this league even those near the top.

With the right additions and style of play we could do well enough next season to get out of this terrible division We need to get the spine of team right so we have steel, guile and balance. By letting senior pro’s go we can bring in 4 or 5 of the type we need.

1 Like

Upon reading that article I think we can dispel the notion that it is scratchings that attracts players to the club, as the secret appears to be carrots!.

1 Like

And cant finish a job…

Keep Rose; Norman; Melbourne; Kinsella; Bates; Perry; Holden; Saddler; Mac. Bin the rest.

We should do a Cook and sign top scorers from the conf. spend some money.

He did indeed…

Another wholesale clear out brings its risks, and I don’t think that we are a million miles away from having a decent league 2 side.

I would be inclined to keep the majority of players. Probably release Sinclair, Nolan, Lavery and Gordon. Possibly Osadebe.

We need forwards. That is where the money needs to be spent.

Really bugging me with Nolan , he first arrived and made a couple of appearances off the bench and looked really good .

Since then he has had little game time ? which hasn’t done his confidence much good , and we all know he came back after lock down over weight which he has obviously worked on and now looks closer to the fitness level you would expect from a professional player .

The last couple of games he’s played he looked very good again and I would like to see him have a run of games now to see what he can really do before we bin him .

1 Like

That’s the only reason I’d get rid. He’s taking a wage and not being picked.

But I think he should be , that’s my point .