Wilkinsons goal

Yes indeed.

It’s actually hard to compare great goals. Some are a split second of genius whilst for others, the genius is built up more gradually and steadily.

That’s why I sneaked the Wrack goals against Wigan in there at number ten. At first glimpse you see a nice goal but maybe nothing special. Then on closer inspection you see Wrack’s multiple involvement in the move going back to his own half before ultimately getting on the end of a sublime through ball from Merson. You could actually argue that the skill involved over about ten seconds between multiple players is better football than a one in a hundred whack from 25 yards that finds a top corner.

1 Like

I love a good team goal too. One of my favourite goals is Merson’s first v Albion. The technique to volley that one in is a skill very few players who have played for Walsall in my time could have done. However the 3rd goal against Albion is probably a better goal, the football involved in that goal was just superb. Had Osborn buried it instead of hitting the post it would have been an even better goal.

The Scott Dann goal was a strange one. Although he was always comfortable on the ball, I don’t recall him going on one of those runs too often. We were really poor that game and it seemed as though he just got fed up of everyone else failing and went for it himself. Superb goal.

1 Like

I think that we were very fortunate with that late equalising goal from Wilkinson.

Were it not for White (right back remember) being hopelessly out of position, not for the first in the match, on the left wing near the Newport corner flag, he wouldn’t have been able to collect the ball and roll it back to Shade to cross it to Wilkinson for him in turn to do his magic.

Of course it may not have been fortunate at all and was the perfect execution of something practiced for weeks on the training field, or then again perhaps not.

1 Like

Always up for watching this one again. Build up starts at 8 mins 10 secs with Wrack’s interception.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking of goals we nearly scored. One game in 00-01 Bennett hit a pass out to the left wing and Aranalde didn’t bother controlling it but volleyed it across and Angell (I think) headed the ball against the bar. That would have been best ever goal at Bescot if it had been a few inches lower.

Best ever nearly goal was Wrack at Millwall in the Auto Windscreen, he got the ball near halfway, beat everybody, always had the ball under control, was about to slot home and the keeper grabbed his ankle and legged him over. The ref gave a pelanty (which we missed) but was too scared to send the keeper off and just showed him a yellow.

3 Likes

He was out of position because ,like the rest of the team (including the goalkeeper) he was up for a set play. Actually he did well to get hold of the ball and pass it to Shade.Made up a little for his rather poor game defensively.

2 Likes

I know it will be sacrilege to mention it (especially as he played against us on Saturday) but how about James Clarke’s piledriver against Crawley away back in 2019?

2 Likes

It wasn’t meant to be a serious post. Sorry WalsallOne, I need to get into the habit of using wink emojis or whatever is appropriate to give a clue.

2 Likes

I remember Jamie Paterson scoring a brilliant goal at home against Coventry when we beat them 4-0. A
flowing move from left to right followed by some individual brilliance to beat a man and slot home

2 Likes

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Oztumers goal from his own half. Absolute magic.

3 Likes

Like how our media man called Wilkinson’s goal a “swing at it”, way to bring down what was a wonderful goal. Post-match: Conor Wilkinson discusses Newport County draw - YouTube

Missed it due to COVID and the newborn having her first cold, absolutely gutted I couldn’t be there, always miss a good game when I’m not there. Should stay away more often!

2 Likes

Actually he wasn’t. The full backs switch sides at offensive and Defensive set plays. It’s why Ward was at fault for the first despite there being a gaping hole on the right (again) :+1: But yes, that goal is totally down to Hayden White rolling the ball back :sleeping:

Anyway, Boli’s is obviously the best, but Wilkinson’s is definitely in the conversation. I’d put it behind Boli, Demontagnac and Grigg. Maybe Merson’s first too, just for the moment.

I always thought that Oztumer’s goal from his own half was absolute magic.

2 Likes

There is a fair bit of negativity on social media from non-WFC fans, most of it induced by envy. Begs the question ‘is the interviewer a Walsall fan?’ Weve already got a director mouthing off about about Aston Villa all the time. Really wouldnt surprise me if he isnt.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed that as well, although White isn’t used as extensively as he might be offensively. Except for the very late stages, he was the one chosen to stay on the half way line as defensive cover when we had those corners.

1 Like

Can’t beat Buckley’s volley v Huddersfield in the 79 promotion season

1 Like

I’m probably not allowed to mention this one…

3 Likes

If memory serves me right, didn’t Gary O’Neil have a shot from about 40/50 yards which hit the underside of the bar, whilst he was on loan here?

Yes, I was thinking about that one, he shot from a long way, I couldn’t remember if it hit the bar or the keeper made a great save. I think it was against PNE and if it had gone in it might have bettered the Junior goal against them the year before.

I think I was only 8/9 at the time, very vivid memories :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like