2022-23 Squad

Flynn is frustrated at missing out on his targets we all are but if Stockport and Crawley are offering players huge money in league 2 and we miss out on players im fine with that. I have read Flynns comments and also heard his interview where he says the new owners have been fantastic.

2 Likes

Well whatever. Bottom line is he’s saying his budget isn’t even in the Top 10 and he appears to be complaining about it. So if I was him I’d be quite rightly pissed off with Pomlett setting him Promotion as a target when he’s working with his hands tied behind his back. Darrell Clark mk ii other posters have said. Not me

1 Like

In my opinion we need to forget about DC and Taylor and move away from blaming Pomlett. It is Boycott and Trivela who own 51% of the club and control the budget its a new era. I have faith in Flynn and I am not as cynical as some on here about Trivela I think they will work well together and build a successfull team nowt wrong with the odd tiff in a relationship.

Sounds like Flynn is focussing more on his relationship with the new owners, while giving Pombear credit in getting them in.

“What we’ve got to realise is that they’re not just going to sign blank chequebooks. They’re investing in Walsall – the stadium and the social club. It’s really positive signs.

“Although I probably won’t get too much benefit of an extra half a million or stuff like that (for the playing budget) this year, I think it holds us in good stead as we’ll have the extra money from the stadium – not having to pay for the stadium costs. What the social club could bring in is only positive as well."

He is also happy with the standard of triallists we’ve had this year. Wonder if any will play against the Villa.

3 Likes

I couldn’t give a shit about about the social club if what I’m watching every week is bang average.

8 Likes

I agree that getting out of this league should be the priority, with the money being spent on the Saddlers Club going into the budget and sort the Saddlers Club out once we’re in League 1.

Although you may want the social club to drink them dry before watching the game to make it more bearable.

3 Likes

But it’s an investment for the club, you might not want it but others will, away fans especially.

In the last three games at the stadium, we would have had close to two complete sell outs in Villa and Swindon and a 7000+ game against Port Vale where they brought 2000+ fans.

Currently there is no where for away fans to go around the ground, the hotel only just opened back up after being a covid lockup, which when open isn’t part of the club. So the closest thing to the ground for fans for the large part of last season would be the town, which is a distance from the ground.

If the supporters club had an average of say 1000 people per each of these three match days, the income would be massive if it went back into the club, which would result in better on the field resources. No?

2 Likes

1 game every 2 weeks :thinking:

1 Like

Which is why they’ve stated they want to change it in to something that can bring in revenue 7 days a week, not just a Saturday.

1 Like

In times when pubs and clubs are dying, I’m not sure what’s going to pull people into a building in the ‘hot bed’ of Bescot Crescent

I didn’t say I don’t want it, I said we should have other priorities. Both would be lovely, but if it’s a choice between offering a striker a few more grand a week, or spending 300K on a social club I’m afraid there should only be one winner

And let’s not pretend we get those crowds every week. Different story when it’s 35 Salford fans coming here.

2 Likes

The saddlers club only needs to bring in 2k profit each week to be influential on the budget. Much rather have a new constant revenue stream rather than a one off 300k lump sum on the transfer budget. Lets not forget Boycott said it would be incremental progress. I think its a case of being patient. Id much rather us be self sustainable rather than chucking money down the drain.

Well I hope those Gillingham and Salford fans are really thirsty then! By the way, even at a very generous 2 grand a game, it would take 150 fixtures to start reaping the money on our outlay. That’s 6 years of fixtures.

You know what’s really good for income? Especially in the modern game with the levels getting further stretched in terms of prize money and tv revenue deals?

Promotion.

1 Like

As mentioned before its not only going to be used for matchday.

Lets say Boycott put that 300k into the budget for this season and we get a couple of decent players in but fail to gain promotion. So that means next season we start without the extra 300k and no saddlers club to top up the budget.

But how regularly will it be used on non-matchdays? Might only be enough to cover costs with a little on top.

On the fans survey I said due to location, I would only use it on matchdays.

Yeah, bet it will be buzzing.

Deffo reckon him and Pombear aren’t friends, so he’s doing his best to build a good relationship with the new owners in the hope they’ll back him/ignore Pomlett.

Obviously still massive question marks over their motivations, but I reckon Boycott is much more savvy and grounded than Pomlett.

1 Like

Well that isn’t very difficult :smile: :wink:

1 Like

It only needs to turnover a profit and on sundays youve got the traffic of the the sunday market. Everyone loves a breakfast and carvery :wink:

F***ing hell it’s going to be a Mecca! Will make the money back in the first year at this rate! There’s going to be rich Crawley Town fans getting smashed in there on a Saturday, grannies in there on a Sunday boshing a Sunday Roast, meanwhile in the week people are going to be flocking to Bescot for the delights of the nightlife! :joy: