2022-23 Squad

He will. If we develop him well.

We said the same about the now departed Bates and Perry. The shambles that has been the last three seasons no doubt claiming some collateral damage in the form of their development. There will be one or two lower profile youngsters for whom that will also be the case.

The key for me is not compromising him. Not turning him into another hybrid where, because he’s quite good at football, the manager settles for a “can do a job” role out of his natural position. For Maher that would probably entail sticking him on a wing. And he probably could “do a job” there but he has so much more potential than being an “alright” fourth division winger.

We won everything in the 70’s Walsall Pegasus

The way Maher is playing he is going to earn a start very soon

1 Like

I’d agree with what you say there about playing him in his natural position, but then I think back to one of our greatest managers, Chris Nichol, who played Martin Butler at left back. I think part of the reason he gave was that it was good for his development to understand a different role. To some extent, Richard Money playing Fox up at left midfield was a little bit of the same, albeit not as exaggerated.

1 Like

Looked a class above in both friendlies so far

Updated the list in the first post to include Perry and Menayese’s loans.

So that’s now a squad of 25 which includes 3 kids who probably won’t feature and 4 players with quite long term injuries.

So in reality and as it stands we have 18 going into the season provided those with less severe injuries (e.g Earing) will be fine in a fortnight.

It does feel that from a payroll point of view we’re close to maximum but from a playing point of view we definitely need a forward and a full back (until Gordon is fit).

Wilkinson and Gordon are the two injuries you fear will cost us the most in terms of points.

1 Like

Before the start of last season, I was optimistic. A shiny new coach with, I hoped, new ideas; solid experience at the back with Taylor and Ward; Labadie bossing the middle; Holden pulling the strings; and 2/3 of Wilkinson/Miller/Phillips. Instead, we had a coach not used to this level who was rigid in his system and could not deal with dead-ball situations and the rest we know.

This year, I am much less optimistic even though we have a proven coach, a much better defence and some experienced players who seem still able to walk the walk as well as the talking bit.

Perhaps I spend too much time reading UTS.

4 Likes

Or maybe it’s put you more in touch with reality.

UTS? Pick your faction and the rest is La-La Land!

3 Likes

He needs a strike partner and a good one then if that’s going to happen.In all fairness to Williams he’s found the net twice pre season so he’s doing his bit for sure and will continue to do so I reckon.

According to this we will have one eye on a top 6 spot.Is it a glass eye?

4 Likes

I’d be much happier if it was two.

1 Like

Ahh, talking up the striker we’ve had for weeks, while all that time the manager was talking about uncompetitive budgets and how desperately we still need one. I’ve seen that one before as well.

2 Likes

Who is this ‘Dan Wilkinson’ they speak of :man_facepalming::man_shrugging:

2 Likes

He must be easily pleased! Non-league standard most of them!!

Jap’s eye!!

2 Likes

A puff piece that’s so much full of bollox, I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t actually a paid placement, composed by Omelet.

3 Likes

Whither is this “Bescott” of which they speak?

2 Likes

The current squad scored the following goals last season:

Wilkinson 10
Kiernan 5
Williams 4 (L1)
Earing 4
P. Clarke 4
Riley 3
Hutchinson 2
Daniels 1

Total: 33 :neutral_face: