Adebayo on his way?

I got ■■■■ loads of grief on here when I suggested this a few months ago :joy:

1 Like

Sorry, for my sins I read at least 90% of stuff on here. Don’t recall that. Anyway, I agree with you.

Yeah, I suggested 3 year contracts for young players with potential and cited Peterborough and Brentford as exemplars to follow.
Had the old “we can’t afford to do that” and “what about James Baxendale” type replies from some of the more belligerent posters such as Mavrak the malevolent.

I’m not as articulate as you though :wink:

1 Like

I thought you got about quite well for your age? :grin: :wink:

2 Likes

For an old’un? :bomb:

Too slow just saw Chunk’s edit

2 Likes

Math is right? I have different results, but doesn’t matter. Speculate to accumulate looks nice, but ain’t seen it here. Probably it is forbidden.

2 Likes

You’re right. For the second time in a week my maths is bad.

It would be £624k a year wouldn’t it?

So the “gamble” is more like a £2.4m one over four years. Which is a bit more of a gulp for WFC.

Good job I ain’t running the show on my recent maths record.

:exploding_head::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m not good at math. I’m just rather good at, how it is called hmm, reading comprehension I think. Back to topic, method is good. It would later make rent expenditures not noticeable in a budget. But first, some reserve when the first player won’t work and second not resigning after the first few failures. Or when first players won’t sold for much. I don’t know if DS tried it with James Baxendale and later resigned cause it ate all budget or first failure made everyone too cautious. But no risk, no progress.

1 Like

Feels like the club have always been reluctant to hand out long contracts ever since Bax signed 3 year deal and then Sawyers replaced him in the team about 3 months later. So spend next two years just warming the bench and loaned out.

Tough with Ade. I mean he came here as totally unproven football league striker like so many misfits down the years everyone was happy to see the back of after 12 months.

Perhaps 3-4 year deals like Posh hand down for whichever striker they sign is the way to go but they generally sign more proven strikers who’ve scored loads in league 1 or 2. Ivan Toney had scored 15 goals in league one the season before they signed him so a far better record than Tom Bradshaw for instance.

Anyway Ade has done way better in championship than expected so again just have to hope there’s a decent sell on clause in the deal as eventually one will come in for the club. Surely.

Fack sake should’ve kept quiet as now in Belph’s little black book now. There goes that socially distanced pint at Bloodstock this year. :grin:

2 Likes

All in turn making yourself a more attractive prospect for players as they see it as a viable stepping stone to more lucrative deals. Reputations stick like glue in football.

1 Like

Some stick like ■■■■ to a blanket. Not thinking of any ex owner in particular.

4 Likes

Agree with you Belph. I’ve written the same on a number of threads. We should be following the Peterborough model. Certainly, we should be picking up the best of our neighbours cast offs, polishing these un-cut diamonds & turning them into assets for WFC.

3 Likes

Peterborough also sign the best goalscorers in their division though. Jonson Clark Harris was scoring fair amount for Bristol Rovers over last few seasons (24 in 42 games in 19/20) so they go for proven quality at the level they’re at aswell.

Just looking at current list of league 2 top scorers…

Paul Mullin
James Vaughen (too old)
Eoin Doyle (too expensive)
Matt Jay
Conor Mcaleny
Danny Johnson
Ian Henderson (on 5k a week)
Jamill Matt
Carlos Gomes
Jack Muldoon

Never heard of half of them but the posh model would mean Walsall going for one of Jamill Matt or Matt Jay (best mates with Ollie Watkins) and actually signing them for 200k on 3 year deal.

Now how likely does that feel…

2 Likes

Unfortunately we sign potential talent and give them very little development time as they are starters most weeks.

That’s why most tend to go backwards before they go forwards over time.

The backwards part mind is why we find ourselves in League 2, the model is not fit for purpose.

Not so long ago we spent £200k on Andreas Makris. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

​​I forgot, but recently was a moment, when we bought potential, some way at least. Three players signed/bought under Dean Keates, and they could play as strikers. Mixed feelings, right. What was worse, method or scouting. Open question, no need to answer.​

£8k a week on rent
Or
£6k a week on best striker in division & £2k on a decent back up

:man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Scored his 1st goal.of the season then like London buses another follows

There are a few Premier League clubs for whom it seems he could fit the profile in January, assuming he has a good run of form in the next few weeks.

A hat-trick against the relegation haunted Baggies on Saturday will help with that. :grin:

5 Likes