Alfie Bates Departs

Surprised by the move but all the very best to him!

A bit of a surprise, his stock appears to have really fallen, some on here were suggesting for his age he was as good as the likes of Deli Alli and Declan Rice were.

Im pretty sure no one has ever said that :rofl:

7 Likes

Sorry to see him go but hes down the pecking order and really needs to be a regular starter at his stage of his career, same goes for perry if hes not going to get regular football next season then maybe he also needs to move on.

I thought Clarke handled him o.k in 19/20ā€¦up to lockdown he was playing well. Canā€™t remember what chances he got under Dutton as very easy to erase that period.

Most disappointed he barely got a game under Taylor given his background in youth development.

Good luck to him, interesting move for him at this stage of his career as many lads his age wouldā€™ve just stayed local and dropped down a league or two.

2 Likes

Whenā€™s Alfie coming back???

Good luck to the lad & I hope that he keeps a very open mind & really enjoys this opportunity to learn a new language & culture. Taken the right way, this could be a great opportunity for him to progress professionally & personally.

Yeahā€¦ā€¦ nobody has said that!! :rofl:

He played him in a role that didnā€™t suit him at all and he was largely disappointing. You could virtually see the regression during his time under Clarke. Which is probably why he didnā€™t get any game time under the next two managers and the third has clearly deemed him surplus to requirements.

He was mismanaged by Clarke 100 percent. His performances went off a cliff.

Maybe his mum and dad?:joy:

I hold Taylor much more accountable than Clarke. Given his background with younger players his treatment of them was absolutely pathetic

1 Like

Thereā€™s some daftys on here but no oneā€™s that daft!

Course you do. As I said, maybe thereā€™s a reason the next two managers saw nothing Iā€™m him and the third has got rid.

Or you can completely ignore his diminishing performances under Clarke in a role that didnā€™t suit him :man_shrugging:

They are in Finlandā€™s top division and it seems Alfie wasnā€™t in the squad tonight.
BTW, also in the top division, and frequently compete in European games, is FC Haka - know to some of us oldies as Valkeakosken Haka, who we beat 8-0 in a friendly, years ago. I think Harry Middleton scored 4 that night (or was that v St Gallen? - also a top division / European competition side in Switzerland).

Brilliant metal scene in Finland.

Jealous.

1 Like

Clive Ford got 4 in one of those 2 games. And then didnā€™t play on the Saturday.

1 Like

I knew we had someone score 4 in each game but had forgotten Ford. On reflection, I think Middleton got his against the Swiss.

Did he play under Keates at all? Clarke at least gave him some starts and young players are usually grateful for the first pro manager they have who shows that faith in them.

I thought he had a good spell of form midway through 19/20.

Moot point as he simply hasnā€™t kicked on, hopefully Perry dosenā€™t go same way as thereā€™s still time to give him some starts once safety is assured.

Sure Clarke gave him his chance more be more inclined to blame Dutton and Taylor than him i might be wrong though without checking.

Well letā€™s hope he can show some steel, iron out any mistakes, and forge a career in the game again, otherwise he could be on the scrap heap.

1 Like

It will definitely be a test of his mettle

2 Likes