All Quiet at The Banks's - Transfer Rumour Thread 18/19

Unless the Loans being considered are season long with no call back clause, then im not interested. Certainly you only have to look at James Wilson disappearing last January, to see how short termism can devastate your season.

We don’t have a choice though on our budgets. Loans are vital and always will be short or long term.

Wilson leaving wasn’t the problem, not replacing him properly was. Loans themselves aren’t bad. Most of our best performers last season were loans. Roberts, Wilson, Ismail, Fitzwater, Ngoy was decent. Think Edwards and Ozzy and maybe Dobson were the only players that had as much of an impact as those names.

2 Likes

Agree. Loans are an essential part of squad building at our level, can’t imagine any team in League One operating with a squad of 20 fully salaried players all capable of competing for a place.

Definitely a “no” if he’s managed to age six years in two!

Oops he left us in 2016. Joined in 2012.:slight_smile:

Wimbledon signing solid players, just another club growing while we stay still

But you’ve proved my point - Wilson went and there was no replacement available at that time. It isnt as easy as just bringing someone decent in, a few days after someone else leaves.

Building your defence around a Player who can be called back anytime is suicide management.

Was going to mention them…Anthony Wordsworth and Scott Wagstaff for those wondering. Both more than good enough at this level.

Only issue is both have mostly played for clubs around London so obviously want to stick around there like Demetriou also wanted to.

It’s a bit worrying that it’s only 3 weeks to the start of the season and we haven’t signed anyone to address the big hole in our defence, or a decent midfielder, or an experienced striker. Every season it’s the same, apart from the season we finished third - that has to tell you something. We have very little time to bed in any new players. I’m not sure I believe Gamble when he says we have a “competitive” budget. Who’s it competitive with exactly?

Rumours coming out of Preston that talks broke down with them and that Walsall are in the picture re Darren bent not sure about shirt sales though

1 Like

Hearing Greg Halford could possibly be someone Deano is trying to bring in. CB but very versatile-has played RB, LB, RW, CDM, CM and ST throughout his career! 33 so experienced and is leaving Cardiff. Wages I would think would be the major issue however (well, they always are!) but Deano did say about the permanent CB signing this week that he’d be very impressed if he got said target- and Halford certainly would be impressive imo.

Halford played pretty regularly for Cardiff last year.

Has a monster long throw so that will help Cook out.

1 Like

Would he be able to cope with our concrete walls being so close?

Halford would be the signing of the summer if it is him, ticks deanos boxes, experienced, leader etc and has already been mentioned has a tremendous throw into the box, having seen what cookie is capable of with his head his signing would be ideal, we all know what the stumbling block will be but let’s just hope the lad wants to play football and not worry too much about his bank balance.

Wish people would w**k off over rumours which are realistic to be fair.

To be fair Fitzwater came in and, granted he never played and was a terrible signing, but so did Bielik.

Because as I say the person you replace them with is far more important than the basis to be honest. Dingles did alright with loans last season, as have many teams previously including Walsall. It’s unrealistic to not use them.

Apologies for the language @simon ! Assumed it’d automatically filter that word :joy:

1 Like

No problem! Not sure why it isn’t in the swear filter?

You’re right mind, no way we’re signing Halford or Bent.

1 Like

Oh come now. This is getting too lively here.
What about my sanctuary of quiet contemplation?

Reckon ZaYa Khan’s opened an account on here to be fair.

1 Like