All Quiet at The Banks's - Transfer Rumour Thread 18/19

We have more kits than fit CBs with 3 weeks to go. Let that sink in

That’s okay, the washing pile can be left for a bit then.

We have the same number of scouts as we do centre backs. Let that sink in.

the £10 pot…any guesses where Rico’s fee went then? not convinced that has been fully spent at all

It went towards the youth system…which Keates decided to release them all and the facilities, so all the summer paintwork :rofl:

This transfer window has got me to the point where I’m remembering the days of Sun Tan Man with a nostalgic fondness.

Today Blackpool make their 11th and 12th signings of the summer, a proven League 1 centre-half who can also play full-back and a young defender from Arsenal who has around 40 league one and two loan appearances under his belt. Fleetwood apparently on the verge of getting Ched Evans on a seasons loan from Sheff U.

DK now saving the loose change Bonser found whilst having his powerboat valeted to not sign Olly Marx because we need to sign an experienced CB. No Tom Tit Sherlock.

1 Like

Whist we await mass signings of undoubted quality, the latest Peterborough spat makes for interesting reading.

Seems Danny Lloyd was on 1.5k a week at Posh, which was relatively less than he earned with a full-time job and part-time football. Posh Chairman not keen on a bit of realism fired back at him.

4k a week in the 5th tier is madness, no wonder we’re finding it hard to make signings

MacAnthony is right to be fair. I think it’s pretty insulting to class 80k a year as peanuts for your first year in the EFL.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I think that MacAnthony is right about most things or speaks a lot of sense at least.

The one thing I would say in the lads defence is it’s an attractive proposition to play for a club owned and connected to genuine English football legends like they have at Salford, It might not ALL be about the money.

But even if it was I’ll never slate a player for moving for money. If somebody offered me the same job for over twice the money I’d be damn sure taking it. It also sounds like he was earning more working for Biffa and playing football on the side than he was at Peterborough. Going rate is higher than it used to be unfortunately.

I agree with you. Didn’t like his comment about playing for peanuts though. I’d chop a bollock off to earn 80k a year

1 Like

He must’ve been earning some right money then ‘selling bins’ if he says he was only paid a couple hundred quid a week at Stockport. The 2 don’t really add up to over 80k a year

Yeah to you or me (I assume) it would be a huge amount of money.

But if I was a League One footballer capable of scoring 13 goals a season who can make so much more money dropping down to non-league I probably would view it as peanuts honestly. I’m not saying that’s reasonable it’s just the crazy world of football wages these days.

Can perhaps see where the player is coming from financially, but isn’t a big lure of being a pro-footballer that it’s all you have to do? Spend all day every day playing the game you love, training in professional facilities, improving your game, travelling the country playing at different stadiums etc.

It’s not just the pay, but the lifestyle.

1 Like

He will be though, I doubt he’s going back part time on 4K a week or whatever it is.

Glad they can stop the world cup excuse now but it hasnt stopped other clubs making signings.utter tosh we just won’t compete as usual.

I remember stuart watkiss being in the same position years ago, i think he was on more money playing part time for rushall olympic and working as a postman, than walsall were prepaired to pay him, but he took less money to break back into the football league. Turned out ok for him in the end.

Trialist at centre half tonight wonder who ?

Another guy from Wrexham apparently!

Don’t understand why it’s so hard attracting defenders who are out of favour at other league one clubs.

Whitney signed Laird and Wilson and apparently no one wanted to play for him!

1 Like