Brandon Comley signs

England also dropped that formation because, as soon as you stop winning, everybody whinges because the football on display is also boring and you have zero goodwill in the bank.

There’s nothing wrong with being solid, but to me this squad is unbalanced and will be unless we sign at least 2 keepers, a LWB, an attacking mid and 3 strikers. That wouldn’t have been so unbelievable a few weeks ago, but I do find it baffling that we are signing players in positions we are already stocked for considering there are still massive holes all over the place.

2 Likes

Why is “negative” football looked upon so badly in this country ? I think it’s fair to say that the most cautious and “negative” manager In English history has took us the closest we’ve ever been to international glory since 66.

Negative / Safe / Pragmatic in most circumstances is just disciplined, well thought out, playing to your strengths. I like and respect this way of setting up.

2 Likes

Good for you, and I’m not against it. But you also need some very special attacking talent to make that work. Do you see us doing that?

Southgate just about beat teams at lot worse that us to get that far.
Only good team he beat is the weakest german team in many a generation.
Got killed by the first good team we played against
That’s why his defensive football sucked and why ours is a worry . It why I fear for us against good teams as we ain’t gonna score many just like england

1 Like

0-0 Nearly every game

“Lump on”

2 Likes

I see what Flynn’s doing. He wants cover in every position, the defenders and midfield are now covered with Earing switching roles from a defending mid to an attacking one. It wouldn’t surprise me if the manager will try to off load Labadie when he recovers.
Two keepers and a couple of strikers will complete the squad.
I’m a little concerned we’ve not tapped into the huge resources our neighbours provide, definitely something a club like ours should be pursuing.

Fox didn’t play left back that season, he was left midfield. Kris Taylor played left back. Fox moved to left back the following season.

Keates scored 13 goals from midfield that season, I don’t think our entire midfield will score that many as it stands.

2 Likes

When was the last time we had a midfielder who knew where the goal was ?
Was it keates

And defence will be solid. Good luck, but it can be hard to win. Massively. One nil is enough to get all points, so it will be risky, but ok.

Oztumer probably if you can call him a mid, besides that probably Joe Edwards

2 Likes

Ah yes, good spot. Point still stands though, it ain’t all about strikers.

Think 3 strikers is a little hopeful , 2 yes

From a fan point of view it will look like an unbalanced squad. But Flynn will not leave the squad unbalanced he will know what roles hes brought players in for and what he needs to complete the squad.

4 Likes

Every signing so far has looked more measured and specific than scattergun that still remains the case in my opinion.These aren’t players that have been left until the last minute so we are scratting for what’s left so I do still have faith that Flynn will still get this right.We do need a couple of attackers that make us sit up and pay attention though.

2 Likes

2 for each position …

We hope. Heard that five years in a row.

I think the large amount of defensive minded, non creative players we have now at the club will make it even harder for us to attract a decent, reliable goal scorer.
If I were such a player, the second thing I would ask (the first being wages), is “Who is going to supply me with the chances/ crosses to enable me to do my job?”
At the moment MF would find it very difficult to answer that question.

The pacey wing backs. In theory.

1 Like

That’s why the wing-backs have to play further forward in that system, otherwise you are penned into your own half with no out ball - just like England in the second-half vs Croatia in 2018 WC semi-final!

Hardly a Manic Monday so far, is it? Perhaps tomorrow will be Terrific Tuesday when our game changer(s) is/are announced!!

1 Like