Brian Dutton

I don’t think Jeef’s far off the mark there with his manger reference.

The club is certainly in a trough.

I can’t believe I’m reading half this stuff. The bloke has had a week with the squad and 3 games. Take off the recovery days after a game thats 3 days of not being on the training ground. Personally you can see what stamp hes trying to put on the squad. He wants them playing football. You can tell he has a completely different style to clarke thats why the defenders are trying to play. Just to top it off the 3 games we have played one teams 3rd the other is in sixth and stevenage we played a large chunk the second half with 10 players. Dean Smith wasn’t great at first but if you don’t give him a chance he’s never going to learn.

6 Likes

Have we been in worse situations than this

The only time I can remember us having a little look below us and thinking non league football was the early 90s

This club has been on the slide to non league football since Bonser started to formulate his exit plan

It looks likes the clubs priorities sit with

• Sorting out Situation Jeff left us in, failing
  • employing folks to make sure the VENUE runs smoothly rather than the Football
    -Keeping fans happy with YouTube Vids
  • Keeping the “fan groups” quiet with cups of tea and cosy chats at the ground

I don’t don’t people have the best intentions running the club but even pre Covid things weren’t prioritised

2 Likes

He’s been with the squad 18 months, now it’s early days granted but hasn’t he been coaching a defence that can’t defend?

I think if BD stays he needs an old head brought in as Director of Football, General Manager- whatever title they choose. I remember Buckley having Bert Johnson along side him when he started out. In fact the Buck might be a good call for such a role…

2 Likes

I have read threads where the taking over of the club is seen as more of the same because Pomlett was on the board with Bonser and Gamble and Mole were in their roles when he was Chairman.

Dutton has been here for 18 months already as Assistant Manager. He has collective responsibility for the mess that Clarke has left us with. That mess is described by many as one of the worst teams in recent times.

Is he really that much of a puppet that he had no backbone to challenge Clarke? If so they aren’t characteristics needed in the Manager of a football club.

Like I said on the match day thread, I don’t blame him for taking a crack at the job. I am just not convinced it is what we need at present or in the future.

5 Likes

Absolutely, I can’t believe for one moment that he wasn’t consulted on signings, style of play, and selection.

Again I wish him all the best, but for me we are sleep walking into disaster.

1 Like

Just had a look what DS did when he first took over…2-2 at Bristol Rovers and 3-3 at Tranmere in his first two games with battling comebacks and late goals in both then lost his next two and then beat Bristol Rovers 6-1 in his sixth game. Then won at Carlisle a week later.

So pretty good inital impact considering he took over a terrible team bottom of league 1 as don’t think Plymouth had yet been deducted 10 points.

Whitney impact we know…season was drifting towards going out of the top 6 and he quickly won first 2-3 games and took the fight to get automatic to last day before the long term hints he wasn’t capable in the play offs.

Dutton just needs to win some games. I certainly give him a pass for Cheltenham with everything that happened in the build up but the blunt truth is he failed to beat a bottom 4 team and the overall performance in that was pretty poor and not like Newport were in great shakes before last night, they’d won one game in 12!

Surely if half the squad were reborn from having not to work with DC everyday and with new managerial bounce that would translate into a win from either last night or Saturday but the performances suggest that’s miles off.

I think Saturday is a pretty big game tbh. Week after are aways to Cambridge and Exeter so plenty of travelling and playing two teams in top 7 for most of the season. Bradford have really picked up now so won’t be easy but if Dutton has any chance of getting job he needs to start getting 3 points from in form teams to give hope for next season.

It’s alright saying the squad is s*** but it’s been comfortably mid table for most of the season so suggests it’s better than around 10 teams in the league at least although void Ade and Jules have left has been shown in last two games. Dutton not winning any of his first 5/6 games won’t do his chances next good anyway.

2 Likes

I like what I have seen so far with Dutton. At least it is more attractive to watch. To be honest I don’t think whoever was manager would have done much better. We have just sold Adebeyo so it is obvious we are going to struggle for goals. Unfortunately we never signed anyone to replace him so what do we expect. We have got to give him time and hopefully some money in the next window. The manager won’t be a problem, it will be the budget he has to work with so it won’t matter who is in charge the same issues will still exist. We need some serious investors to change things.

2 Likes

The manager won’t be the problem?

1 Like

The one thing that I cannot defend Dutton for is that he obviously thinks that Osadebe is a decent player who can do a job in the side. A part from a couple of decent runs down the wing in his earlier appearances this season I have seen absolutely nothing to convince me that Osadabe has anything to offer.

When we first signed I thought that with his size and a bit of pace he woumd be a handful for most sides to deal with. Now, I should imagine if any of the opposing sides see his name on the team sheet that must rub their hands with glee as he is almost like another attacking midfielder for them the way he gives the ball away.

Our main problem, as we all know, is that we can’t score goals and that is because we just don’t create anything. Osadebe creates very little, so surely giving Nolan a run or more preferably Wright when he is fit, is a much better game plan. Dutton seems scared to lose a game rather than go out to win it. You can pass the ball around all day, but if its constantly in our own half then its no good. If we are going to lose then let’s us at least do it throwing the kitchen sink at it.

3 Likes

The budget he has to work with will be the major problem as we will be fishing around for last minute cast offs as usual. If whoever is the manager identifies some fantastic signings, if they cost a fee or want more than a couple of hundred a week then he won’t get them. Same old Walsall.

3 Likes

The majority of League 2 are “fishing for cast offs”.

To say the Manager isn’t the problem is just ridiculous not too mention factually incorrect.

I said the manager won’t be the problem as much as the budget. I mean who ever the manager turns out to be. It can’t be factually incorrect because we don’t know who it will be yet.

Especially when you are the prone to gifting goals away that you inevitably hand possession to the opposition in your own half on a plate!

1 Like

Osadebe having started last night at the expense of Wes was his chance to impress and show he can perform a role for the team. First half he was ok but did little positive in the 15 minutes he played of the second half.
Chance not taken, I think.
We desperately need Holden or Wright to be playing.

3 Likes

Agree was very disappointing , I thought the couple of games Nolan recently started for the bigheaded bastard looked quite good , I personally would like to see Nolan have an extended run in the side to prove his worth .

3 Likes

ask Morecambe, Cambridge, Cheltenham etc about budgets. They are not going to be paying anymore than we are. To struggle in League 2 is unacceptable. End of.

1 Like

Whoever the manager is its just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic unless he’s backed properly when was the last time we did this Colin Lee?

2 Likes

The only thing Osadebe creates is large groans from us when we see his name on the team sheet

1 Like