Cheltenham Town (H) Tue 16th Feb, 7pm

I get the point you have been making.

Most of us can remember the Norwich game a few years ago. A Herculean effort was made to get the game on with extra braziers being hired for what was going to be a bumper crowd, only for the ■■■■ Lambert to get it called off an hour before kick off.

Less reason to with no one paying

1 Like

Played Pompey at Home on December 15th. Our next match was Stoke City Away on March 2nd, and then we played Man City at Home in the F A Cup 3rd round on 6th March.

Match Preview now added at the top.

I went to the Stoke game.Played on a very hard surface with straw bales around the edge of the pitch.We lost 0-3 and I remember Stanley Matthews and Jackie Mudie played for Stoke.We did not win for another 7 matches which effectively sealed our relegation although ,of course, it is the infamous Charlton match which is remembered as the game which sent us down. That dreadful winter is very fresh in my mind as 6 days after the Stoke game my dad died and even after all these years I remember it well. He was a supporter too as was my paternal grand father so I reckon that our family has been supporting the saddlers for around 100 years!!!

7 Likes

Remember that all the turkey farmers moaning about what a tin pot club we were on 5 live until they heard him on the radio not that any fooker could understand him

My recollections of 1963 Winter are going to Walsall station on Boxing day with my dad to see us play away (at Stoke?) and there was a sign saying “Match Off”. We then had to trog back to Coseley and as you say there were no matches until March 1963 and this was followed by relegation after the infamous replayed Charlton game. Sorry about your dad WS1, mine went on to live to 96, dying in 2007

1 Like

Thanks for the response.Yes it was a difficult time for me but here I am at 76 still going strong and hoping that our club can somehow or other climb out of its current position.I know it isn’t going to be easy.

5 Likes

Another game called off = congested fixture list.

EPL,wake up. If you look on the map, the UK (where I used to live) is located at 53.55°N and not in a tropical paradise (where I live now). From
November to March it is damned cold there. Wind, rain, freezing precipitation, snow, ice and generally nasty conditions.
I lived there for a long time, and, if I’m being honest, hated the weather. I was a young boy and vividly remember the winter of 1963. Since then I’ve never understood why they play football during the winter.
I’m sure others will disagree, but I don’t see the sense in it at all.

1 Like

Because every 25 years it’s too hot in the summer!

1 Like

Cheltenham are the best side in this division for me they can play when they want to and mix it up at the same time I fancy them Carlisle and Tranmere to go up as the top 3.

Sadsfan,
Because every 25 years it’s too hot in the summer!

There’s no prettier place on earth than England on warm sunny days, the problem is there aren’t enough of them!

3 Likes

Thinking about the straw bales around the pitch for the match against Stoke, mentioned in an earlier post.
Hope someone at the club has the nous to strategically pile up the pitch covers on the touch line, to restrict the Cheltenham long throw routine. :wink:
Might go against us too, but as Norman is currently out of favour with DC, probably not. :frowning:

1 Like

Good thinking.To make matters worse we have lost 2 of our better headers of balls coming into the box Jules and Adebayo .In the latter’s case that was another improvement in his over all play in recent weeks.
As for the game I think we will lose probably 0-2.

After watching us in the last match I’d be surprised if there’s going to be any change in the quality of either teams football as this league is of a terrible standard.More hoof ball I reckon more step overs from Wes who really needs to start doing something now he’s having far too many games where he goes missing.Another bore draw on a Tuesday night so 1-1 for me another poor standard of football then DC’s post match interviews where he again points out that we have a poorer budget than most teams in the world.

P.S Happy Valentine’s Day

1 Like

Manager warning Cuckold Mullett to take his next chance in a Walsall shirt.

Is there someone at the club whose role includes giving players like CCM an opportunity to take their next chance?

4 Likes

Obviously not but for someone like yourself who seems to always stick up for our manager aren’t these issues usually sorted behind the scenes you know like a quiet word in the office after training.Why does he always seem to hang players out to dry in the public eye but then carry on not revealing injury news to the public,it’s not going to help CCM adding pressure onto him by his manager not all players like it so for DC to be doing it a lot suggests to me he doesn’t care what these lads think or want or need he just opens it and quite frankly he’s an idiot just like when he told everyone they can go and stack shelves because that’s helped hasn’t it as you’ve seen from how this team performs every week.

It was just meant to be a throwaway comment taking the mick out of DC. It is his responsibility to bring these players on & he has been sorely lacking in this in my view I didn’t realise I always stuck up for him by the way.I think he has been a massive disappointment but I fall into the ‘we can’t afford to sack him brigade.’

1 Like

It must be someone else I’m thinking of then my apologies and I agree with most of that, I just don’t like him as a manager or a person he’s been so poor for this club I don’t think he will ever change and adapt and learn as a person and that’s why he will always be a lower league manager.He thinks too much about the opposition yes you all watch a video in the week of what teams are going to bring to the game but it seems to me like he should spend more time getting us to pass a ball and keep some possession maybe he’s over qualified for these boys it’s a possibility.

1 Like

My thoughts entirely, we will never get anywhere as a club with DC at the helm. Sorry if others think otherwise, but he’s certainly not proved a success so far has he?
Stubborn, fixated on how good our opposition is…(every game) and incapable of sticking with a set first team squad, obviously a VERY poor coach, and unable to pick a team capable of attacking or even entertaining…but what do we plebs know anyway.
1-3 defeat on Tuesday.
We’ll just have to get used to mid table this awful season and hope LP uses his gumption in summer and jettisons DC. “After all there’s always next season.” How many more years must we contemplate this continuous scenario?

1 Like