Cook's off to sunny Mansfield

Not a problem if he’s replaced by somebody who can get 15 plus goals. Because make no mistake that’s what we’ve lost whether you liked him or not.

4 Likes

Think Gordon and ferrier could be a better and more mobile combination in a side that DC wants to play ie pass and move football sounds good to me uts

2 Likes

I heard exactly same thing and Cook was on the wrong side. Rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way. DC is all about team building and Cook would have been an issue

1 Like

I think sometimes you have to compromise where players are concerned, you wouldn’t mind if a player was a bit of a bad influence in the dressing room if he scored 20 plus goals a season, one of our all time best players was a little temperamental from what i have gathered, and hardly adhered himself to others, but was still my all time hero, a certain mr Buckley :wink:

Can’t deny he’s likely a 20 goal striker in League 2. But £150k for a 28 year-old who wants out, has a year left on his contract, and could potentially be a negative influence had he not got the move he wanted is decent enough business. The fact a League One team didn’t take a punt on him says a lot, for me.

12 Likes

Josh Gordon improved after xmas but he’s a 10-15 striker at very best imo. Will work hard for team and link up with midfield but he dosen’t imo have striker instinct to anticipate crosses that Cook does.

Making him number one striker would be bad call and one I don’t expect DC to make.

I do think this is big blow. Mansfield really should’ve got automatic promotion last year but bottled last two games then lost in play offs. So already they have pretty good squad.

Simply if you lose a 15-20 striker you must replace him with similar proven one. Think back to last summer and losing a 15-20 Attacking midfielder. All the crys of Ozzy restricts us and we can get more out of the team playing 4-4-2…that one worked out well.

Also a little worried DC’s big money striking purchases for Bristol Rovers were pretty much flops…Tom Nicholls as already mentioned (although I’d still take him).and last summer signed Stefan Payne for 200k. He was back on loan at Shrewsbury six months later.

At least all this has happened early in pre season. Lots of work to do.

6 Likes

Cook stopped us getting out the best in Gordon. He ended up on the wing or in the hole and never got the consistency. I’m happy with Cook out the way who was detrimental to squad morale and the way we played…just a shame it was £150,000 to our League 2 rivals.

Clarke is ■■■■ with money so hope he uses it on wages and not a fee on a player.

2 Likes

Happy he has gone, he was a bad egg, yes he scores goals but he was Lazy and we actually conceded goals from players he should of been marking, he would then turn around and blame everyone else.
I think I might have to make sure I make the trip to Mansfield, could be tasty haha

4 Likes

Pretty much my exact sentiments.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-r4lohN3m/

https://www.instagram.com/carolyn_radford/?hl=en
“After much hard work behind the scenes for the past few weeks”.
Discussions for sometime with Cook or getting a striker in general I wonder?

Hahahah all those that thought Jeff was going to turn over a new leaf. Regardless of what you think of Cook, once again the bare minimum resistance has been shown to keep a top goalscorer - and going to one of our rivals to boot. There is absolutely no way you can sugar coat it.

Listen; we are in for a grim, grim season. If we start poorly I hate to think what the attendances will be - no inflated away followings to hold up the ever decreasing numbers in the home ends.

3 Likes

The posh chairman has said on Twitter that there are two league 2 teams in for their striker matty Steven’s, one team very interested saying that the team in question are just waiting for the sale of there striker to raise the funds. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I know it’s all a question of supply and demand, but I find it difficult to equate a Cook valuation of £150,000 with Bakayoko’s £200,000… :thinking:

4 Likes

When you put it like that :weary::weary::weary:

1 Like

All I can say is he must be on a promise …dirty girl

1 Like

My only worry is that last pre-seaon Clarke wanted to sign Bakayoko. Calls his judgement into question.

Gordon and Ferrier can not fill the gap left by the way. Gordon was playing anyway and his finishing is a problem that he needs to rectify. And Ferrier is as uninterested as Cook but nowhere near the goal scorer.

A new signing is desperately needed now and it’s not the only area of the squad.

4 Likes

Mid May I thought 100-150k is the most what we can get for him, if he wants to leave. So if it’s true, that 150k was paid, plus addons, I called it a good deal. For a player, he didn’t want to play here anymore. I know Cook scored 13 league goals, but there was no much potential to improve. Bakayoko still has that potential and in few years time he can be similar striker for this level, in terms of goals or nuisance created for other teams.

2 Likes

People have always said Christiano Ronaldo has a negative impact on a dressing room and has a bad attitude; thing is he has the end product, just like Cook did. Ronaldo was seen a negative influence in the Portugal dressing room until he fired them to the European title.

Morgan Ferrier has a bad attitude - yes, a major problem because he isn’t good enough. What I am trying to say is people lend too heavily on this attitude nonsense when it suits, if a player scores 17 goal in a relegation side, the kid has something. Your telling me he hurt all the other players feelings by having a mardy every now and again - what a load of ■■■■■■■■ :joy:

Similar to Ginnelly at the time, our current major asset has been allowed to walk out the door at the first opportunity…you can all tell yourself little tales that make you feel better - but bottom line is same old…

4 Likes

Age factor.

1 Like