Crewe Alexandra (H) Feb 1st, 3pm

“I shall always look for Walsall’s result on match days,
but that will probably be the extent of my participation”

- Welsh Saddler, January 2020

Following the sad retirement of @Welsh_Saddler from UTS duty I’m afraid I’ll be writing the match previews for the foreseeable future. Another massive thank you for his contribution over the years.

Crwho?

The Railwaymen are bona fide automatic promotion contenders and arguably the best ‘footballing’ team in the division. They currently sit 3rd in League Two, 16 points and 11 places above the Saddlers with a seasonal record that reads P 29 W 15 D 7 L 7 F 53 A 35 Pts 52.

Their form over the last 10 league games is the third best in the division, recording five wins and just two defeats during that period. Alex have the 6th best travelling record in the League, having taken 22 points from 14 away games this season.

Veteran striker Chris Porter leads their attacking charts with 10 goals and 1 assist, followed by Chuma Anene (9G, 1A), Daniel Powell (8G, 1A), Charlie Kirk (7G, 12A) and Tommy Lowery (5G, 3A).

Recent League Form

Jan 11 Swindon (A) Lost 3-1
Jan 18 Cheltenham (H) Won 1-0
Jan 21 Macclesfield (A) Drew 1-1
Jan 25 Scunthorpe (A) Drew 2-2
Jan 28 Orient (H) Won 2-0

Previous Meeting

The teams last met at Bescot on 26th September 2015, a 1-1 draw in the opening stages of the League One season. Tom Bradshaw gave Walsall the lead after only three minutes, Ben Nugent levelled the scores fifteen minutes later.

Most recently, Walsall lost 1-0 at Gresty Road back in August.

Played for Both

Olly Lancashire is the only current link, playing 50 games for Walsall between 2010 and 2012 before joining Crewe last summer. Jon Guthrie, Febian Brandy and Alex Nicholls have featured for both clubs in recent times.

The Saddlers signed goalkeeper Mark Gayle from Worcester City in 1991, he played 75 games before leaving for Crewe two years later, his departure prompting the signing of Jimmy Walker. He was loaned out five times during his five years in Cheshire, including a brief spell at Liverpool.

Gayle ended his playing career at Rushall Olympic in 2007.

Prediction

Unless DC can provoke a marked reaction from his players, you get the feeling we’ll have to take our medicine and admire what a similar sized club with a decent blueprint can achieve.

Playing attractive football with good young players and a real identity, Crewe are where we were in 2015-16, and where we need to get back to as soon as possible.

Predicting a home win is hard enough these days, but after Tuesday’s performance and against top three opposition I’d be laboured to predict a draw. 0-2 Crewe.

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Crewe Win

0 voters

2 Likes

It’s only right I comment first.
All I want to say is thank you to Welsh for his fantastic contributions.
To all those going, I hope you enjoy it and it’s a good result.

2 Likes

Actually think we will win this. Clarke will give it the Barry. Everything will be right with the world … until we lose to Stevenage.

According to Badge man they can be got at what with Darrell our striker on the wing and a centre half playing full back…prat

1 Like

I actually agree with EN…a win 2-1 for me. UTS

1 Like

Yes, this great ‘team’ of changelings will win…if Crewe fail to turn up that is!
Votes being taken on Saturdays line up…anyone brave enough to take a punt on tinkerman’s latest shuffle of the pack?

Already chucked my hat in the ring mate as seen above.

Yeah mate, missed those gems, perhaps Norman up front and Kins in goal would help?

1 Like

I’m on my 4th can of Singha so I will be optimistic and predict a score

Crewe 4 - Walsall 0

Cheers

Walsall 1-3 Crewe

Can’t wait.

Nah 1-4 is the go-to result when we play ‘better’ teams…Scunny & Brizzle City players used to earn good money betting on that score at ‘fortress Bescot’!

Hope I’m wrong…I can see us getting tonked tomorrow 0-3. Confidence high ,settled team ,style of play, players knowing their jobs, supporters behind them. Everything we don’t have☹️

1 Like

I just think back to the reverse fixture.
We played well, unlucky to lose, fantastic travelling support, etc.

Anybody know how many tickets Crewe have sold ?

Wow. That’s pretty impressive being as Bristol City have never beaten us 4-1 at home :smile:

Maybe they bet on Walsall beating them 4-1, which has happened twice at home, albeit at FP not Bescot.

1 Like

And 4-0 in the playoffs :grinning:

1 Like

I imagine their players had good money on that one :joy:

1-3 Crewe

Boo’s ring out and a chant of “we need a winger now” rings out

4200 (870)away

Bored and fed up Saddlers return too UTS too post furious words and Gensax cums in his pants

2 Likes

Walsall 0 - 4 Crewe

More boos.

1 Like

Walsall 0-3 Crewe. Crewe go from strength to strength as a settled, simple tactical display shows its worth.

1 Like