D 0-0 vs Colchester United (A) - League Two - Tue 14th Feb, 7:45pm

Colchester have picked up a lot in the last couple of months though. They are 2nd in the form table over the last 10 games with 20 points. This is not an easy game.

Yes I agree that they are on a decent run now, but would argue with Crodley’s contention that it is never an easy place to go to. Must have been a doddle earlier in the season :wink:

1 Like

Brilliant @Shadman
We can all stew over them then :grin: :wink:

1 Like

Enough, that’s shallot!

1 Like

I may be missing something obvious, but I can’t see how that could be definite unless you have assessed the last 4 (or 6?) fixtures of each of the teams likely to be in contention at that stage of the season and established that all combinations of their results would leave us at least 7th.
Please elaborate for me as I can’t get my head around it.

One of the positives from those last twelve games is that we’ve only lost twice.

We’ve only lost three league games since September and we’ve only lost one of the last seven home games.

Flynn sets us up to be hard to beat, which when you look at the run of games we’ve had in the last 3 months, i think we’ve done extremely well to still be in contention with the play offs.

Since we played Rochdale in October, we’ve only played one team below ourselves in the table including the FA Cup in Crawley, where we’ve played Wycombe, Carlisle, Carlisle, Doncaster, Swindon, Stockport, Mansfield, Stockport, Tranmere, Leicester, Salford, Northampton and Leyton Orient all in a row and have only lost two and only conceded more than one once.

The next five games will be the real indicator to what sort of team we are and where we intend to finish.

3 Likes

While I’m flattered that you’ve taken my post as a statement of fact, it is actually just an opinion based on the closeness of the division and the amount of teams involved in the chase meaning almost everyone will be beating each other at some point.

The basis, if anything, other than a feeling is that give me 6pts off the play offs with 2 games in hand when we have 6 left would mean other teams only having 4 left and on that basis I fancy 4 wins would be enough.

Hope that helps

Yes it does thanks.

I had assumed you had done an in-depth assessment of fixtures which would yield the scenario you suggested. If only I had realised that it was only a feeling. Guilty of reading posts too closely.

I posted earlier that we still had 40% of our fixtures left to play so it was far too early to be getting carried away….in either direction

1 Like

Only 100 tickets sold so far

Shows us Saddlers are a bunch of old romantics at heart. Really thought this would beat the infamous 147 who went to Scunthorpe last season.

It’s called being under the thumb.

that’s made me howl, brilliant :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I’m taking the missus down for a few days in Colchester. She doesn’t know yet that Valentines night meal for her will be a bag of chips in the hotel whle I’m off to the match.

1 Like

You know how to treat a girl!!:joy:

At this stage of the season there are no easy games, if we’re to achieve the play offs, MF had better make sure we’re thoroughly prepared for every encounter we face.
We also need some luck on our side too, no more injuries for starters (wishful thinking, I know).
I’ve been really disappointed not to have seen Joe Riley this season, had he been fit we would have seen a more dominant midfield.
If we start putting a string of W’s together - now, we’re in with a shout of the play offs. We also have to rely on some of the pack chasers to drop points.
It’s not over yet, but getting really close to another season of disappointment if we don’t improve our recent performances.

English never a good subject for me! The wife also noticed the error told me to go back and alter, but I forgot!
Hail the grammar technicians out there, or should that read ‘thier’ innit…

Said well before Christmas that we would not see Riley in a Walsall shirt this season, there have been lots of indicators from mangement, that he was ‘in training’, ‘improving’, ‘ready to start’ etc etc but we just never see him out there…

I cannot see the relevance of this to the Colchester game interesting though it is :wink:

Still stuggling to see how we are going to win games. Really miss DJ and our midfield provides nothing going forwards. Never know a team constantly have low possession as us. Unless walsall can create chances or gain more time with the ball, instead of constantly giving ball away cheaply or defending so deep we have little or no chance getting out of this league.

3 Likes