D 1-1 vs Colchester United (A) - League Two - Sat 16th March, 3pm

I still think a double screen is ok. Both are good enough on the ball to get us out and it’ll give hutch more freedom where I think he’s been playing more and more like a right midfielder rather than a right sided centre midfielder….

3 Likes

Problem with a double screen imo is they simply man mark hutch out the game like when he plays as a cam
Then the midfield is dead
You can let come and stirk have the ball all day they won’t trouble yu

Riley lol. I guess he owes us at least 1 decent game before we inevitably release this awful player :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’d be fine with that. Play in sometime in April (I know Colchester will be fighting to stay up) when a few more injured players get back.

Swindon at home is probably a game that can be won with a few of the injured players out so strategically a postponement would be o.k. Obviously have sympathy though for anyone with tickets who wouldn’t be able to make a midweek date.

We’ll see. Have a pretty good record at their new ground down the years.

The guy had a horrendous injury and all you can do is snipe at him. He came here with glowing reports from Carlisle fans. My neighbour (a golf pro) has been giving him golf lessons over the past year. Says he’s a lovely, polite and decent young man.
You should be ashamed of your nastiness.

PS. Sadler said the other night how pleased he was to give him some minutes, as Joe is desperate to get on the pitch.

20 Likes

Riley has been a nothing player for us, total waste of a wage
However it’s not his fault
So I can’t blame him and hold no ill will towards him
He has been incredibly unlucky and I wouldn’t be suprised if his professional career was over after us

3 Likes

I wish him all the best and I don’t want to see any player suffer injuries like he has. However even at full fitness he has shown absolutely nothing. For him personally it’s in his best interests to be released from Walsall and move on to a more positive future

3 Likes

I don’t think that he has ever been at full fitness. The injury he suffered in pre season has clearly had a long lasting effect on him. A bit like Rory Holden.
Its no laughing matter, he’s one of our players - one that wants to play for us.

1 Like

It’s sad for him but life is cruel and I’m sure he will go on to make a success of himself whatever he does in the future. As a number of people havd pointed out our record re injuries is becoming very worrying indeed

1 Like

Yes, I agree, however, why the need for the laughing emojis and the comment that he’s an awful player. He isn’t at all, he’s had a serious injury that may result in him not being able to continue his professional career. He was well thought o f when he came to us and has done his best to get back to his old self. A big difference from a talented player that couldn’t give a shit.
As I wrote, it really isn’t a laughing matter towards a player of the team you purport to support.

26 Likes

" Purport" is doing a lot of work in that last sentence. It should be obvious to everyone by now he’s just a sad stirrer.

5 Likes

Forecast has improved now with no rain forecast between now and the match. Hopefully they have the covers off and are rolling the pitch - wont help beyond saturday but will help tomorrow

2 Likes

I think the comments about Joe Riley are a little harsh, he’s just getting over a bad injury that’s kept him out for months. He’s a decent player imho and has a role to play to get us where we need to be.

It has to be a win for us tomorrow, nothing else will be acceptable. These are the games we have to get maximum points from or we can kiss the play offs goodbye. I’m not ready to do that just yet!
This is the time when we see what the players are made of, is it metal or cotton wool? They’re all going to need a lot of metal during this final run in for a play off spot.
It’s also the time where we will have to make adjustments like playing on bad pitches, facing different formations and not being too defensive. We have to maintain our shape, move the ball forward and make sure we play through our midfield.
I wish the lads well tomorrow.
UTS.

2 Likes

Interestingly at the Chairman’s Dinner last night Sadler was asked about injuries and pointed out that we were far from the only team affected by this in the current season.

Stockport and Mansfield have had a long list (albeit with larger squads) and this has gone all the way up the ladder to teams like Liverpool and Man Utd.

Ben Boycott also expressed frustration over it too

1 Like

It’s not just the numbers, at the moment; it’s how they’re concentrated- central defence and attack.

2 Likes

He is the nicest guy you will ever meet. Yes it hasn’t gone how we would have all liked but non more so than for Riley himself! He had a really bad injury within pre season was out for months as they couldn’t diagnose the issue. When they finally found it and sorted he had to try and get some fitness back but the injuries on the back of it have not given him a proper run in the team. He’s not been played in his best position and certainly not been used to his strengths. Lay off the bloke and I wish him nothing but the best wherever his future may lie. If it’s not with us then I hope he does find a club and goes on to prove what he can do.

4 Likes

Agree entirely. He has suffered horribly from injuries and we have not seen the best of him.

He is very good on iFollow and made a great joke about Knowles on one occasion.

1 Like

Pitch inspection at midday today at Colchester

3 Likes

Thanks westie

I think its more precautionary than anything else.

1 Like