D 1-1 vs Tranmere Rovers (A) - League Two - Sat 14th Jan, 3pm

Yes. On WM,which seems a different interview from the one in the link.

1 Like

We can expect them to be up there but many thought Stockport would run away with it. Expect a big overhaul / upgrade in their squads but they might not hit the ground running. We are a good example of how long it takes a team to bed down after a overhaul

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a real team spirit now. Second time this season team have now dug in with 10 men away from home and got a point (and Comley was sent off after about 20 minutes at Sutton).

This will all be counting in May and beyond.

2 Likes

Explains a lot if there was illness in the camp tbf

Why did Monthe get his 1st yellow card? I was there amd donā€™t even remember him getting booked??

It was before we scored donā€™t know what for

Think we got let off on Montheā€™s first yellow, ref waved play on otherwise it was a penalty.

1 Like

Apparently he took one of their players out off the ball during a counter attack. Wasnā€™t caught on camera though. Ref played the advantage (shot wide of the left post) then booked him afterwards.

1 Like

Think it was outside, according to the Tranmere commentary, Mazza, but only going on what they said.

1 Like

WM interview for those so inclined

2 Likes

Back home in the warm and had my tea (Spag Bol not Chicken Curry!:wink:) and always nice to be home with a 5 still in the hours column!!

Pretty much share what people have said about the game and what Flynn has summed it up as in the interview.

1st half we actually started okay and almost looked like the home team, keeping possession, albeit across the back a lot, in the first 10 mins but without creating anything. Then Tranmere got more into the game and were the better team - moving the ball about the pitch and passing it better than us. We just seemed sluggish and second best to things in the half, not reacting to second balls or even our own headers, Tranmere players nipping in to get the ball, far too often and the 50/50s seemed to go their way when then ball popped out. The reports on illness within the team through the week adds up a bit now on some of that.
Not surprised Hutch got hooked at half time as he was not in the game at all, and the central 2-2-1 was simply not working - none of them got on the ball and DJ was totally isolated. A bit too much sideway and back passing, summed up at one point where Kinsella (who was his fantastic gutsy and brave self especially in the second half I must say), had a chance to drive forward into the Tranmere half with the ball but just laid it off left to the centre half and it stopped any momentum. A touch surprised Knowles was subbed as he worked hard and ran his socks of first half, although if he is one who had the illness, then that makes sense.

Second half started better and the subs who came on worked well. Williams I thought was excellent in his battle, work rate and retaining the ball at times in the Tranmere half to enable us to get up the pitch and was much needed, not leaving DJ isolated anymore.
The wind and rain that came in second half made it much harder and we were trying to keep the ball on the floor a bit more but still resorted to some lumping at times which just gave it back to them.
Then DJā€™s goal - what can I say - superb poaching and finish, sums him up and his genuine and exhuberant celebration in front of the fans was ace! So hope we can do the deal to keep him.
I wasnā€™t sure why Monthe had been booked but from hearing Flynn, it seemed a bit harsh, if he had had his toe stepped on and was just pushing the player off, especially as the ref let quite a lot of fouls go without bookings. I didnā€™t really see the Turnbull and Morris incidents but if majority say they were red cards then Iā€™ll go with that. All I saw of Turnbullā€™s was our player (kins?) crumpled by the hoarding and then players steaming in. Deserved yellow but maybe should have been a red if dangerous.
Then disaster! It appeared from the end to me like Monthe had got ahead of the player and then almost stopped to block him off when he could have just cleared the ball. If it was a foul, then it was a yellow and he had to go. My angle wasnā€™t great for the free kick but it seemed like Evans let the ball under his body from the free kick.:man_facepalming:
Then we held on but it was a positive move by Flynn to bring Wilko on when he could have shut up shop more.

Overall, a good point in testing conditions and against a hard team who my Carlisle mate warned me could be a bit rough from when they played them earlier in the season. Would certainly have taken a point before the game and was probably fair on balance of play and the quality or lack of we showed today.

Great to see DJ score such a cool goal on his (hopefully not) last game for us, I thought Daniels, Kinsella and Williams were excellent for us and we roll on to next week.

Fans were excellent in the main throughout the game, so vocal and put the home fans to shame at times - never stopped singing and supporting the team - you can tell the team and management love it. Their only downside today was the singing of ā€œlet him die let him dieā€ for the player who clearly had a head injury and was concussed as he could barely stand on his feet - no need for that chanting and made me a little uncomfortable tbh - several times we had players down, including the likes of Kins, with head injuries or other potentially serious injuries and they didnā€™t get that treatment from the home fans.

Final point - that ball boy! I hope he gets sacked and is sent straight to bed when he gets home, with his XBox confiscated for a month, the cheeky little twerp!!:laughing:

10 Likes

Highlights Tranmere 1 - 1 Walsall - Match Report & Highlights

Weā€™re not done yet.I like the sound of that.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the incident was nearer the half way line :smile:

Linesman was in-line with the 18 yard box , god knows!

Monthe should have got three yellow cards.He got away with a crude tackle on the sub a few minutes into the second half and the two he did get were both fully justified.

Both Monthe and White tread a fine line between fair and unfair. Most of the time they get away with it, however, there will be occasions when they donā€™t. Today was one of those for Monthe.
Apparently, White got away with an elbow, according to the commentary, and was again booked for time wasting.

1 Like

You are probably right @Belphegor , but thatā€™s probably true for every decent defender at this level

1 Like

Could well have been the fact the monthe was playing against his former club today that he let a little carelessness creep into his game and gave away a lot of fouls which in the main is unlike him . He usually has forwards in his pocket at this level.

Yeah, I agree. Itā€™s a positive most of the time, but we have to accept that occasionally it may cost us.

1 Like