D 1-1 (W 4-2 pens) vs Northampton Town (A) - Papa John’s Trophy Group L - Tue 5th Oct, 7pm

I agree this format with the inclusion of under 23’s is an insult to the lower league’s.
We forget though with the old format attendances in the early rounds were more or less the same as now.The only better thing now though is the prize money for winning a game.

And the League 1 and League 2 teams do not either.

The Brighton game was very entertaining and they did have some good players on display. And last night, we had Leak, Bates, Perry, Phillips and Shade all of whom count as under 21.

Not really the point though is it, the competition needs to be competitive and at the moment it isn’t as it’s reserve team football.

Crowds will never return until that changes.

885 according to their website.

Did the 4-2 penalties result count for those that lumped on last night? :grinning:

1 Like

Would like to praise fans who travelled last night. Shows that walsall have got hardened fans.

1 Like

We should perhaps regard these early matches as “reserve” games.They give game time to players who don’t get into the first team and can be a conduit for players coming back from injury and young players stepping up from the Youth team. On that basis the the competition is worthwhile.

Oh. Stand corrected :rofl::rofl:

877 according to their ticket office manager!

Plus the 8 that @Jamessaddler counted, and that makes the 885 that @Laundryman mentioned. Confusion sorted. I think.

5 Likes

@Jamessaddler was definitely counting the Leicester subs :joy:

1 Like

Hold up. Andy holt. The Accrington chairman has been going mad saying there was eight people at there game last night.

Oh… away attendance. Gonna go tek me face for a shit. 🙇‍♂️

4 Likes

Brighton’s lot were exceptional with the ball played us off the park for 25 minutes but ultimately dropped off after that.

Where does the prize money come from if attendance is so bad?

Papa johns pocket from all the advertisement?

1 Like

There must be a lot of profit in pizzas then :grin:

1 Like

I think the premier league clubs are paying for their under-21s to be in the competition.

1 Like

Ditto Chelsea, the opening 20 or 30 minutes was a massacre, but then we got back into it.
I suppose the kids can’t be matched by lower league footballers for skill, nor for pace, but strength and probably stamina would seem to be in the grown-ups favour.
I think I’ve seen us play four of the U21 teams, and I’ve enjoyed all of the games. I wish it would go back to how it was though, when it was just Divs 3 & 4 and a straight knockout.

2 Likes

For me, there were lots of positives from last night.
2 slightly different lines up vs Northampton and Exeter but a clear identity.
Those left out were replaced by people doing the exact same job. Round pegs in round holes.

Rose slotted in as a replacement for Rushworth and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Bates filled the Earing role and did really well. Unfortunate to be booked, but sat deep and picked up the ball from the back 4.
Perry tried to play the Labadie role, with some success but he will learn.
Philips came on for Miller and led the line.
Leak filled in for White and Mills did well after an uncomfortable 1st 15 mins.
Osadebe played the number 10, broke through their midfield and was creative.

The 1st hour (before we substituted Miller and Bates) was better than the last 30 minutes and we would have been clear had Shade and Miller taken their 1:1 opportunities.

Everyone played well in patches, but I Meyanese was my MoM although he conceded the dubious penalty. He was 1st to the ball and not bullied by their 2 central strikers (we should sign him up).

We scored 4 well taken (with pace) penalties.

Final word, I was impressed with Etete, the Spurs lad on loan, for Northampton. I’d like to see him with us - a real presence - surprised we didn’t sign him.

1 Like