D 3-3 vs Hartlepool United (A) - League Two - Sat 25th Feb, 3pm

Twitter is a cesspit of teenagers who haven’t quite had their brains rewired to display any rational thought just yet :joy::joy:

If we wanna play with a. Target man honestly I’d give low Go up top
We don’t Rely on finishing or movement anyway and he Will win more headers than anyone we have and only player we have who attacks the ball in the air
Loads of players have had big position changes and why can knowles play everywhere but low can’t give a target man role a go?

1 Like

Low wouldn’t be in the starting 11 for me if we had players who could actually pass the ball and play football but we don’t Playing him up top is just encouraging more hoofball than we already play which is bad enough and completely ineffective as it is.Some teams are good at it Stevenage are the prime example sitting in second place we aren’t we just look clueless at the moment and losing DJ has hurt us badly mid table again unfortunately.

1 Like

I totally agree it’s anti football
However that’s how Flynn wants and has got us playing so imo playing someone who can actually win a header when we do hoof is a big plus.
Low would be more effective in our system as a striker then any of our actual strikers and that says a lot

1 Like

Unfortunately when you don’t have much of an effective midfield it’s the best way to play… by bypassing the deficient area.

Maybe with the likes of Riley and Maddox coming back we’ll keep the ball on the ground a little more… Just maybe lol!

3 Likes

I will never ever be able to understand why people still consider that we bypass our midfield because it’s deficient, rather than work out that the midfield appears deficient because we bypass it!!

Maddox has played a fair chunk of games. We still booted it. Riley came on the other week, and we still booted it and actually, he booted it as much as anyone else!

Hutchinson (Brighton), Maddox (Chelsea) and Riley (Man Utd) all come from Catagory 1 academies that are among the most well respected in Europe!! Even Comley came through QPR which is one of the most highly rated Cat 2 academies.

Please don’t tell me that these player cannot receive and retain the ball and aren’t capable of passing it.

The problem begins with Owen Evans and is compounded by Monthe, Daniels and White (or Low) and all that is up for discussion really is whether they’re instructed to do that or not.

5 Likes

Are there any examples of performances this season where the defenders have continued to play balls into midfield and the midfielders have kept losing it therefore they’ve given up with doing it? Or have we always bypassed them from day one? What I’m getting at is have we actually given the midfield a chance to try and run a game.

2 Likes

I think there are periods In games where we play into midfield….these are usually our best periods, our best performances and the games where the players mentioned get most praise….

2 Likes

My two-penneth on the situation is that our defence & goalkeeper are trained and encouranged to “Hoof” it to the opposition’s half when the manager lacks confidence in the ability of the midfield to retain possession near the defensive line which would then prompt a swift counter attack, especially when the cornerstone of the game plan is to primarily not concede to goals.

This then makes the flow of the our game predictable and easy pickings for the opponents especially when we dont have tall strong burly players up front who can retain possession whilst waiting for the midfield to catch up with play and only then they can try and feed the ball into the front players facing the opposition to make attempts on goal.

Not attractive viewing for the paying customer and the inverse of tippy tappy i.e hoofy hoofy

Could it possibly be because the coach doesn’t trust his midfield players to be able to control a game ?

That is not my memory. He was only on the pitch for a short time but he did play in a different way and did a lot of constructive passing.

I do not think it is helpful to bring Evans into the equation - he does what he is told to do. Also, it is clear that the defenders have in their minds to get the ball away from danger as quickly as possible and we certainly do not want a return to robotically playing it out from the back and losing the ball in dangerous positions.

But there is a problem and I would put it down to two factors. The first is confidence (or fear if you prefer) - they are playing safety first football, with not conceding a higher priority than scoring. The second is the rough and tumble of the L2 midfield. Earing in his commentary last week said how difficult it was to play football.

It’s a bit like England’s cricketers before and after Bazball. In the previous regime, they were fearful and were lambasted if they got out playing an attacking shot. Now, they lack fear and even at 21 for 3, they go for the runs. We want more of that spirit at Bescot.

2 Likes

Same here, perhaps it was just perception.

1 Like

I’ve just watched it again and apart from kick offs he had a ratio of 5 ‘helping it on’ and 6 passes….

Similar to Wilmotts ‘amazing’ crossing in the Stockport game…

Riley is excellent technically. It’ll be a huge waste if we play that way with him in the side….as it is with the others I mentioned and they (and he) being deficient technically aren’t the reason we boot it.

Absolutely agree. I said weeks ago that league 2 is the hardest league to play in if you’re a technically gifted midfield player. It’s not just your teams tactics it’s the oppositions and the nature of the game.

What do you mean by this?

As in I just watched his clips from that game and 5 times he just booted it or helped it on and 6 times he had the ball given to him and he was able to pass it.

Sorry, not being awkward, just trying to understand.

What’s the difference between ‘helping it on’ and ‘passing’?

Helping it on as in hitting an area or clearing an area in hope rather than expectation of finding a team mate rather than being able to actually find a pass….sometimes it’s a necessity sometimes it’s default no matter how much time and space you have to look…

1 Like

Just tried to get into the M18 but rolling roadblock by the looks of it

No he didn’t.

I’ve already addressed that and rewatched his clips from that game an hour ago :+1: