D 3-3 vs Newport County (H) - League Two - Sat 1st Jan - 3pm

Clarke was struggling after 70 minutes which was helpful but I’m disappointed that it took us until the last 20 to start running at them and take advantage.
When they took Norman off they were clearly looking to shut up shop.

2 Likes

Their managers getting some stick in their local press for his changes.What I did enjoy was the banter between supporters,especially when they were singing our Conor Wilkinson song after he scored for them and us singing your not going to the pub plus them singing sheep sha##ing bas##rds we know what we are was a nice touch.

3 Likes

I agree think their substitute were to get them across the finish line, thankfully we managed to get a photo finish. Was glad we scored at the end was getting little saddle sore for sitting down to long.

3 Likes

Glad we equalised it would have been a tale of Whoa! if we hadn’t.

1 Like

A great spectacle but an awful performance.

How can you concede a goal from essentially the same move twice inside five minutes?

4 Likes

Brilliant equaliser by Wilkinson. One of the best Bescot goals I’ve seen us score.

I get Taylor’s happiness for our never say die attitude.

But there’s a big but. Much of that was shambolic and really unprofessional. Our defending was shocking. Have a look at the back four line for their second and third goals. For the second goal White was around twenty yards deeper than his mates who were all looking at the assistant. A brilliant save from Rushworth after Taylor got done again and a bobble just taking it the wrong side of the post prevented a 4-2 scoreline. A 4-2 scoreline against a squad that has been ravaged by Covid and was out on its arse for much of the second half. Such was their struggle, I think one of the dads went in goal for them.

We’ve known Monthe will be out for a while so for the back four to play like utter strangers is a huge concern.

Having got back into the game twice we should have run out comfy winners against a side flagging so badly.

So whilst I was delighted with the equaliser it was a bit 3-3 at Rochdale when Butler equalised late on. I was happy but on reflection felt we’d squandered a couple of points.

But back to Wilkinson’s goal. Oh my!

6 Likes

Carbon copies too mate crosses from their right hand side caused us havoc.

1 Like

Taylor’s post match comments suggested we were the better team and deserved the win…

Ermmmmmm.

I mean, last 20 we had a go - but for large portions of that game we were dreadful.

2 Likes

I was impressed with Dominic Telford though he’s a real pain excellent movement and a real goal threat that was his 16th of the season brilliant little player.

4 Likes

Our coaching is clearly not good enough, our two centre backs are absolutely clueless when it comes to defending.

I’m willing to let the bigger picture stuff slide today.

A simply wonderful 45 minutes of football that should be enjoyed for what it was. Genuinely one of my favourite Bescot goals and the scenes were outstanding. It was everything that’s brilliant about supporting Walsall.

20 Likes

Bit unfair on Mayo that, he’s been carrying his CB partner all season, can’t do it all on his own.

Anyway, seems I’m the reason we’re shizzle, last 2 games I went to were Carlisle and Crawley, then get rona and miss today :rofl:

1 Like

I could couldn’t understand why, first half especially, Taylor was coming across to Mena’s side to head away. Didn’t seem planned as they were so close together, Mena not moving away or over to cover.

That same back four did ok against Colchester. Where I do agree with you is about the play of both full backs. They were primarily to blame for the second and third goals.As for the first goal how could we leave Telford unmarked from that free kick. Whoever had that job didn’t do it however, as ever, I prefer to accentuate the positives.Fighting spirit even though were weren’t playing too well and being denied a number of penalties by an inadequate referee. Secondly a big improvement in the set piece delivery and thirdly the number of crosses we put into the box in the last 25 minutes.It was desperate defending rather than misses which prevented us winning.
I think the light at the end of the tunnel is getting slightly lighter!!!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more Khans set pieces pee all over Osadebe and a clever move when trying to get someone to sign a new deal make him feel special take all the set pieces son.

2 Likes

One of my mates, who was watching on I follow, captured things perfectly

‘So Walsall!
Fat lad on the pitch clutching a carrier bag :grinning::grinning:

10 Likes

Was it me or did most of their team look like hefty Sunday morning footballers the keeper especially.

1 Like

Funniest song by the county fans -don’t send me home ,please don’t send me home-I want to stay here and drink all your beer……

Khan ,Wilkinson and Holden should see us top 7 -you never know

7 Likes

Agree with all of this.

Was thinking on the way to the ground, if Pomlett really thinks we are playoff contenders and should be 6-7 points better off, then today was the day to lay a marker in the sand. Granted the Xmas schedule has been severely disjointed, but coming off the back of the Colchester result, we should have been looking to break the monkey of successive wins and usher in 2022 with some sense of hope and momentum.

Newport, a team that has been up there in the division over the last few years, is who we need to be competing against. Like others have said, for large swathes of the game the performance was a shambles.

Happy that we snatched a point from the jaws of defeat, you bet. Cross another game off the fixture list on our path to mid table, most definitely.

1 Like

The knee slide from one of the lads that came on the pitch was brilliant.

2 Likes