Darrell Clarke: We're getting back to the Walsall way

Have we gelled yet?

Up to 4th in the form table, with significant improvements in results and performances.

5 Likes

It’s absolutely mad that some people couldn’t grasp that such a turnaround in staff/players would require a fair amount of time and patience. We’re still not there yet but we’re improving. A good January is vital for us to push on now.

5 Likes

Not until we’re 10 points clear at the top of the league :wink:

1 Like

Amazing change in opinions following two league wins in a week.
And some regulars are too busy to post for some reason … :innocent:

4 Likes

It’s incredible isn’t it…

I am remaining level headed. This is a project and won’t be solved so soon. I still think we are missing something for a promotion push.

Maybe that gets rectified in January - maybe not. I’m not going to lose sleep over and want the same ‘manager sacked after 2 months’ regardless.

6 Likes

:100: Cheltenham next week is not an ideal fixture.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong we have been frustrating at times this season. A couple of games have really annoyed me but never have I doubted Clarke. We were told by Bristol Rovers fans that his teams are slow starters. We were told he likes to tinker. The bloke won 2 consecutive promotions with Bristol Rovers for god sake. He’s not an idiot.

He needs time and we as a fan base have to give it him. All this however doesn’t mean fans aren’t allowed to pick up on Clarke’s flaws. He’s definitely made mistakes but I trust he will learn from them. Previous managers made the same mistakes time and time again without ever learning from them. It seems that yesterday’s win has got a fair few on side now so I hope that when the next defeat/poor display arrives people don’t slip into old ways of calling for everyone’s head. Unfortunately we have a lot of fickle fans.

5 Likes

1 Like

Isn’t about being fickle at all. We was dire from August till the Christmas period. Yes Clarke a slow starter that doesn’t mean it’s acceptable or makes the fans fickle. I don’t think we’ll make the play offs but I was more concerned about going down a few weeks ago. Finishing anywhere near the play offs with this squad should be praised.

Were we dire when we won 5 on the spin?

I don’t think we have really been put away by anyone this season really - bar the odd game.

It’s testament to how crap this league is, and how big of a job Darrell has on his hands more than anything.

Let’s see what happens. As I said, I’m not going to be placing ridiculous expectations on the team, but I am cautiously optimistic - if there was ever a juxtaposition.

Yep. There’s being slow to gel and then there’s being dire for an entire month and ending up 20 something in the 4th tier.

It’s funny because that’s nothing Clarke hasn’t said himself. Some posters love to ignore that.

Maybe fickle is the wrong word (although like every club in England we do have quite a few fickle fans). Some fans seem to forget the massive turnover we’ve had at the club. That takes time to develop and a fair few fans seems to think it should be instant success (not saying you’ve said that by the way). This season was always going difficult.

I think the only team I thought turn us over this season was salford at home and we put that right yesterday which to me shows we are making progress, Anything we do now this season will be a bonus it’s all about getting ready for next season. I was a cynic at the start of the season but I can see things are turning round slowly on and off the pitch

But we were right to give him time. We’re now improving. I’d imagine that’s due to gelling. Funny that.

Yes we were shit at times. Yes it was frustrating. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture rather coming on a forum and bitching every 5 minutes though :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

“But we were right to give him time”

I know. That’s what I said months ago:

Thing is, you can accept it was a big job whilst thinking we were performing below par. I know people want to paint that as some fucking hate crime…

Oh god! Noticed the mysterious "gel"substance is starting to creep back in to some posts.

Yep, amazing what it can do isn’t it.

2 Likes

Haha if you say so :+1:

1 Like

The dire point was the period of losing at Oldham and Oreint (both remain near the bottom) and also the 3-0 home to Salford was around that time.

I still wonder what would’ve happened if Darlington had held onto their 1-0 in the cup. Hopefully that will be to DC what Robins scoring was for Fergie all those years ago.

Ultimately he has more than stopped the rot in the league but then I did always say some of the players were much better than just fighting to finish 23rd and so it has proved since November.

I said in August top 3 was a bit of a pipe dream but saw no reason after a period of adjustment why the team couldn’t at least challenge for the play offs given it goes down to 7th and the league is very average and it’s slowly panning out like that now.

I don’t demand a play off place but don’t see why the club can’t at least attempt to do a Barnsley.