Desert Island Goals

Scott ZiDann v Rochdale

3 Likes

Super Matty Fryatt v Huddersfield

1 Like

What, no mention of Makris v Oxford?

These 2 beauties from O Connor and Marshy at Preston mid 90’s would be there for me!

1 Like

So many to choose from. If I do this tomorrow will probably be different

Games I’ve been at

Boli v Southend
Gazza v Scotland Euro '96
Byfield v Reading
Summerfield at Liverpool
Clarke at Crawley

Games I wished I’d been at

Keates v Swindon
Forde v Preston
Forde v PV
Any Canonball goal
Brown v Arsenal

Does anyone remember the scorcher Alfie wood scored at Bury ? and it was disallowed because either someone was offside or a foul was given?

Byfield at Cardiff
Keates at Swindon
Penn at Sheffield United
Kelly’s Hat-trick goal at home to Bristol City
Butler at Molineux

Notable others

Summerfield at Anfield
Forde at Preston
Childs at home to Shrewsbury
Boli vs Southend
Merson vs Albion

Plus all of Willie Naughton’s goals (for us).

If I’d done a different list, rather than just five from my favourite season of 98-99, I would have chosen that one. It was partly what led to it - rarely can we have put any team under such sustained pressure for so long, and partly 'cos it was a total boster that he hits from further away every time I talk about it, and partly 'cos it was against Shrewsbury, and every goal against them is a little gem in its own right.

1 Like

From that camera angle, we were on the left hand side of the stand opposite of memory serves me correct. A workmate of mine is a PNE fan and was in the left hand home end so looking right down the pitch to the far end for the goals.

You can’t see it too well from the recording but there was quite a lot of swerve on Skip’s shot - my mate reckoned it started outside of the left hand post and hit the net to the far right!

Scott Dann’s v Rochdale worth a mention plus Ishy’s goal (3rd of a hat-trick) from an impossible angle near the corner flag I recall. Not sure the opposition.

Southend. Remember it well, what’s great goal that was. There’s video on YouTube somewhere.

1 Like

And Ishy scored a belter from outside the box against Shrewsbury (I think). Swerved a lot in flight. Team mates piled on him in celebration and hurt his shoulder.

That Ishy goal v Southend I remember not just because of its brilliance but because of the crowd reaction. For a brief moment there was a massive collective gasp of disbelief before the customary celebration and applause. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a goal reaction like it.
I likewise remember many of the goals mentioned (since 2004) but as this thread is about personally remembered goals I’d like to throw in a couple more.
March 1 2011, Macken’s beautifully lobbed goal v Southampton. Memorable because at the start of the game we were in the relegation zone and Soton were top. That goal took us out of the bottom 4 - remember we were bottom and 8 points adrift when Smith had taken over just 5-6 weeks earlier. A long way to go but it gave us hope for survival.
And I doubt whether many will remember my last choice, let alone choose it or even agree with me. Boxing Day 2006 we were at home to Shrewsbury, down to 10 men after Gerrard was shown a red card. It was a totally unmemorable game until Mark Wright (remember him?) sent over a ball from the right wing to no-one in particular. It looked to be going out for a goal kick, giving their keeper little concern. Unexpectedly it hit the far post and bounced into the net, giving us an unlikely win Not a classic goal but for some reason it’s stuck in my mind.

1 Like

Mark Taylor’s net buster against Reading in the rout that postponed their promotion party at fellows park.

At bescot; Stuart Ryder a wonderfull dipping lob in the 3 nil victory over Hereford played for the most part with 10 men following an early dismissal of our captain (can’t recall who it was though)

Agree with most of the above! The one missing for me is Junior’s thunderbolt from 30 yards (don’t remember who against) but it was a brilliant goal. In games I’ve been to the best Walsall goals I’ve seen (spectacular strikes rather than important goals) have to be 1. Junior 2. Boli overhead kick 3. Jeff Peron and 4. Matias dipper against Fulham. I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few. On the ‘special goals’ (not necessarily good goals) mention to Andy Watson’s winner against Forest and Boli’s header at Old Trafford (seeing one of our lads scoring past Peter Schmeichel was brilliant.

Preston? I’d say it was further than that, nearer the halfway line.Swerved as well, I think.

I was going to say that but I thought ‘nah must be my rose-tinted glasses’ so I toned it down.

I can remember Stu Ryder scoring a good goal against Hereford but it was a 4-3 win just before Xmas in '94. I don’t remember a sending off, would MOC have been our Captain that season?
The goal I’m thinking of came from a corner. Marshy, or someone else, took it from the right and most of the crowd including me moaned because it was rubbish and going nowhere and it ended up on the edge of the area sort of inside left position, bounced, and Ryder volleyed it back across the keeper into the top corner of the net - and the crowd moaned no more. :grin: I’ve no idea whether that was a pre-arranged move or not, but the result was spectacular.

I know Stu scored a few other goals, but that’s the only one I can remember.

Does my goal sound like your goal, or are we thinking of different ones?

Does anyone remember Brett Angell scoring with a teasing lob from the edge of the penalty area in about 2001? Took so long to go in someone behind me had time to ask," what’s he doing?" when it was in the air.

2 Likes

It was a 4-0 v Grimsby. Wonderful goal.