Devante Rodney signs from Port Vale

I think it’s only fair to consider that Rodney’s character may have garnered a few points for us in our highly successful avoidance of relegation.

The signing was a desperate one to placate us the fans. End of

7 Likes

One thing I like about Mick Flynn is that he doesn’t suffer fools gladly. I think that was an issue with MT sadly, he suffered fools all too gladly. To that end I trust MFs judgement on Rodney. I think he will be available for transfer but if there is no interest I think with a full pre-season he could be a useful squad player and good competition for the forward areas.

3 Likes

Do you mean MT?

2 Likes

No, I think he is spot on with MY :wink:

1 Like

Yes sorry I will clarify. I think MT suffered fools gladly.

Fools that were signed for him, and he apparently lost the dressing room after having a crack at Labadie for too many yellow cards …

2 Likes

I believe he may still come good.
Many players have an awful season where society puts them down only to come back strong and become the player we all wish they were originally, or even better!
Give him a chance could be a deeney, grigg, adebayo, Parkin in there somewhere

4 Likes

I think it’s a disgrace the way Rodney has been treated, he was signed by Walsall football club and then given the odd cameo to prove himself, in my opinion he is more of a forward than Miller is, unless you play the guy and maybe make the odd tweak to accommodate his style of play you will never know if he’s good enough or not.

5 Likes

Sid he was handed a number of starts and did absolutely nothing, Miller for all his faults looked like Ronaldo compared.

8 Likes

He was given more than sufficient opportunity to show signs of what he could do. Not writing him off, but it’s fair to say he failed his first audition.

3 Likes

Like Mills, he came from Vale with a warning of him being a little crap.

His form should be no surprise.

1 Like

So why isn’t he trying to sign Ronaldo, erm Miller then. Miller was just ok, same as Rodney.

that’s good info if true…and it’s 100% believable!

1 Like

Big IF not little if.
The sort of thing that will get repeated and become a “fact”
Who is the source of this information?

1 Like

Well it’s not an if that he had a crack at Labadie, he literally reported it to the press and the point I was responding too was that he suffered fools gladly, which I think is less baseless than what I’m suggesting. Our record after those comments:

Played 13, Won 2, Drew 3, Lost 8

I didn’t claim to have any more information than “apparently” and looking at the timeline I’d say it’s plausible. Nothing more.

A disgrace? The bloke wasn’t fit. You can’t just start throwing him in or people will then moan we’re risking him having a reoccurrence of his injury.
He made enough appearances, sub or not, to show at least some promising signs but he hasn’t. Not writing him off because you do have to take his match fitness into consideration but still expected more.

2 Likes

Same hoped for a bit more but some writing him off could be a bit premature we just dont know yet.

1 Like

Fair enough.
Although it doesn’t reflect well on the rest of the dressing room if he “lost “them for criticising Ladabie when we could all see he was getting booked unnecessarily

3 Likes

Based on what?

His record for us? Surely not.

His overall record?

Miller and Rodney are the same age, and Miller has scored twice as many goals whilst playing for football league clubs as Rodney. Rodney has spent roughly half his career to date playing at various levels in the National League, whilst Miller did enough during the same period as a young player at Bury to earn a move to a Championship club, and then another move to a Championship club.

Obviously Miller is nowhere near good enough for that level it turned out, so he’s back at this level, and i would imagine has a very good chance of making a career at this level.

If Rodney continues to fail with us (and I sincerely hope he succeeds), I doubt he will get another gig in the EFL anytime soon, if at all.

4 Likes