Director of Football

Just seen this.As I suggested this type of role only a couple of weeks ago I am very pleased. Looks like the role will be to oversee the whole of the football side of the business. In my view that is just what we need in the medium to longer term and could form the basis of a really good plan for our future.

Does it specify a wage? or will it be another top secret undisclosed need to know basis?

About time :+1:t2:

Just reposting here:

Pomlett Key Points:

On the club:

We haven’t dealt with COVID well on the pitch, but have off the pitch. The fallout will be in the next two years. We are ok (financially).

Pomlett and other directors has input cash into the club during the pandemic. “If I have to do it again - I will”.

Bonser does not own a single share in this business.

“I expect us to be impacted for a couple of years yet”

On the team:

I am not happy. I did not anticipate the loss of form. “We should not be where we are in the league”.

“Difficult to know why that would be”

“It is not a budgetary constraint where we are in the league”

“We are at least top 10 budget in League Two”

Punching below our weight.

On Dutton:

“I had to find a quick solution.”

Dutton could have said no, and gone somewhere else. Leigh respects that.

Baptism of fire.

Very disappointed for him, but still has enormous faith in Brian. Deserves to be successful.

Leigh will be patient and hold firm.

Brian knows that we need to win games.

'Wins fairly quickly"

On new Director of Football:

“Because fo situation we are in, we will, in support of Brian, will appoint a DoF”

To help Brian through to the rest of the season.

Experienced head to help Brian, and look at the whole side of the football club.

Interviewing process begins today.

Drive the football agenda of the club.

“I will not make an appointment unless it is right”

On longer term view of football club:

Currently writing a plan.

Three things to achieve: 1. Communicate well, build bridges; 2. try and get back into League One; 3. Reunite the club with the freehold.

These objectives have not changed. The covid hit on the club, will delay this strategy by a year or two.

My work here will be complete when we are pushing for the championship.

…“can I ask you a favour… can you back off a bit… and get off Brian’s back”

1 Like

I didn’t mind it till the last 2 minutes.

2 Likes

Sounds like duttons here to stay for now. If we don’t win next couple of weeks he will be gone. ( probably )
Pomlett not happy with the fans response on social media wants them to get off duttons back

One of the things we generally regret about modern is how transient it has become.

Mangers and players coming and going. Lack of continuity and stability with the affinity between team and fans that these things bring.

At our place we have been asking for a plan since May 2016. This rudderless entity that is Walsall FC lurching from one problem to another with not essence of direction or plan.

We have now laid that type of foundation by advertising for a director of football. The “well how does that help us beat Crawley tomorrow?” misses the point entirely. Part of the problem has been having a focus that doesn’t extend beyond a very near term horizon.

12 Likes

No changes other than the dof so I expect the rest of the season to be a long hard slog with a decision on Dutton in a couple of weeks time

1 Like

I found that bit patronising :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Haven’t managed to watch it yet but reading the bits @Thanatos has kindly posted I’m all in favour of a director of football it’s definitely a step in the right direction and credit to Leigh for updating the fans that side of him has always been brilliant.Let’s see who we appoint because it’s quite obvious Brian needs help and to be fair to Brian he could have walked but he’s certainly got some balls,maybe just think before he opens it a bit like his mate up north.

He was defending his employee from abusive comments. He didn’t defend performances, nor did he say he would deny peoples say. He also clearly said he would be gone if we continue to lose football matches.

6 Likes

Does that mean the Club are preparing the recruitment process, lining the questions up…or actually interviewing someone / some people today?

While today would not bee too soon, LP is right - it has to be the right person. (I wonder if Badgeman will apply? His ‘project’ at Port Vale doesn’t seem to be working out!)

I was ok till the end. No win in 14… We would be complete mugs if we didnt get on their backs. Can you imagine what a 14 game winless run would look like at the dog heads or villa? But were supposed to take it up the chuff and say, its ok. Never.

DoF… yeah good step in the right direction.

But why is noone mentioning that a big reason why were crap is becuase the clib have allowed the majority of the teams contracts to run out this summer. So weve gone from a squad of contracted players to one of mercenaries in a season. Plus adding onto that a manager whos as wet as a ducks belly.

Tuesday is gona be tough. Gulp.

My question is “ Who is going to recruit the recruiter? “.

Most recent recruitment decisions have been poor. How do we know we will choose the right person this time?

2 Likes

He said actually interviewing someone today.

1 Like

And providing we don’t go down, that’s OK.

Finishing 12th or 20th this season doesn’t really matter. The important thing is giving next season and the seasons after that as much chance of being successful as possible. I believe that having a football expert making the football decisions gives us a better chance of that being the case rather than well meaning accountants and logistics experts.

2 Likes

I didn’t see any abusive comments ? fans were a bit peeeed off on here, unless he was talking about other social media sites of which i have never read?

1 Like

For those who want a TLDR

Bit of a wishy washy statement. Brian has got his backing, but must win some games soon (seem to remember LP saying “next couple of games”), which implies BD doesn’t really have LPs backing. This is how I felt about Dutton about 3 or 4 weeks ago, he needed to win a few games back then, he didn’t. So perhaps LP will feel the same as us in 3 or 4 weeks time.

Appointing a DOF on the surface seems like a good idea, but I don’t believe the reason for our demise over the last 6 years has been due to us not having a DOF, it’s been because the club has no vision, no purpose, pays awful wages and completely neglects any kind of long-term stability in the team (just look at the state of our central midfield recently). It suggests they’re just stabbing away in the dark.

2 Likes

If we are really in the top 10 budget providers then something has gone seriously wrong somewhere?

You should see some of the drivel on Facebook and Twitter.

If we have a top ten budget then we have spaffed it on some right cack

2 Likes